Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Here are the corresponding ssdt. Try them and tell me how it went! I hope it is the right thing to do!
It's working perfectly.
What have you changed, teach me?

Create a SSDT from Hackindrom. The only thing, I paid a lot of attention to the route in IOReg that you sent. By default, and in previous generations, the path was: PCI0 | RP21, and in that case it was PC00 | RP21. I imagine you have modified the RP21, but not the PCI0. In my case, I have a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D to which I added a flashed Titan Ridge, and pay attention to that. Apparently we can notify that on Z590 with a Titan Ridge + custom firmware, we can have thunderbolt with hotplug. Is it like this @CaseySJ or am I talking nonsense?
Although I still have one doubt. I have most of the things working fine, except some: And with Thunderbolt it happens to me that when I turn on my machine and turn on the Apollo x4 TB3, the system gets a kernel panic. It is strange, since if the UAD system is not installed, this does not happen. I don't know if to blame the UAD system, or my configuration

Setting up my new Hack that has a ROG Maximus XIII Hero mobo with two onboard TB4 connectors. All is good so far (OC 0.7.3/BigSur 11.6), except I can't get the TB working. I downloaded @CaseySJ HackinDROM patch for the Maximus XIII and it's included in my EFI (attached), but my external device (Buffalo HD-PATU3 using a TB2 to TB3 adapter) does not connect. I've followed c-o-pr's USB mapping (#261 in this thread) for the same mobo and I think I can see some sign of the TB ports in IOReg (screenshot attached). But Mac SysReport says "Thunderbolt/USB 4: No hardware was found" (screenshot attached).

Besides the HackinDROM patch, is there anything else I need to put in my EFI, or do I need to do any other procedure such as a firmware flash of the TB controller or something (seems I've read some discussions but they appear to be for add-on PCIe TB cards, and my TB ports are built-in to the mobo)? Hackintool PCIe screenshot also included here, in case that helps anyone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 57
  • Hackintool PCIe.jpg
    Hackintool PCIe.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IOReg.jpg
    IOReg.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SysReport.jpg
    SysReport.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 53
Setting up my new Hack that has a ROG Maximus XIII Hero mobo with two onboard TB4 connectors. All is good so far (OC 0.7.3/BigSur 11.6), except I can't get the TB working. I downloaded @CaseySJ HackinDROM patch for the Maximus XIII and it's included in my EFI (attached), but my external device (Buffalo HD-PATU3 using a TB2 to TB3 adapter) does not connect. I've followed c-o-pr's USB mapping (#261 in this thread) for the same mobo and I think I can see some sign of the TB ports in IOReg (screenshot attached). But Mac SysReport says "Thunderbolt/USB 4: No hardware was found" (screenshot attached).

Besides the HackinDROM patch, is there anything else I need to put in my EFI, or do I need to do any other procedure such as a firmware flash of the TB controller or something (seems I've read some discussions but they appear to be for add-on PCIe TB cards, and my TB ports are built-in to the mobo)? Hackintool PCIe screenshot also included here, in case that helps anyone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
@buddyjack2,

It looks as if Thunderbolt may be disabled in BIOS. Or “GPIO3 Force Power” may be disabled.

Can you confirm if:
  • Thunderbolt is enabled
  • Thunderbolt security is “Legacy” or “No security”
  • GPIO3 Force Power (or something similar to this) is enabled

OK, I checked my BIOS, there are quite a lot of settings there concerning Thunderbolt (see attached). "GPIO3 Force Power" I definitely found, and enabled; the only mention of "security" I could find is "Native OS security for TBT," which I disabled. The other settings I left as-was. After restarting, my Buffalo drive is now mounting and IOReg is reporting a lot more under RP05 than previously. Hackintool looks different, too. But still nothing in Mac System Report for Thunderbolt, and Disk Utility is showing the Buffalo drive as some sort of SATA external disk; not sure that's how it's supposed to be listed but I'm attaching one giant screenshot of all 4 windows.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.JPG
    IMG_9801.JPG
    802.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9800.JPG
    IMG_9800.JPG
    893.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9799.JPG
    IMG_9799.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9798.JPG
    IMG_9798.JPG
    817.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.52.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.52.21 PM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
OK, I checked my BIOS, there are quite a lot of settings there concerning Thunderbolt (see attached). "GPIO3 Force Power" I definitely found, and enabled; the only mention of "security" I could find is "Native OS security for TBT," which I disabled. The other settings I left as-was. After restarting, my Buffalo drive is now mounting and IOReg is reporting a lot more under RP05 than previously. Hackintool looks different, too. But still nothing in Mac System Report for Thunderbolt, and Disk Utility is showing the Buffalo drive as some sort of SATA external disk; not sure that's how it's supposed to be listed but I'm attaching one giant screenshot of all 4 windows.
That's much better. Some comments:
  • System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4 will now say No drivers are loaded. This is perfectly fine. It just means Thunderbolt Bus is not enabled, and this is not necessary or needed unless there's a Thunderbolt device that simply won't connect without it. Enabling Thunderbolt Bus on a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller means flashing the firmware with an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer or a Raspberry Pi with its SPI pins. This in turn incurs risk of electrical and physical damage.
  • If the Buffalo drive is appearing in Disk Utility, that's a good sign. If it's a brand new disk, simply format it as either APFS or HFS+.

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately... after that success, I booted-up into Windows (installed on a second SSD) to play a game, and when I returned to the Mac (via BootCamp that I installed in Windows using Dortania's guide), the Buffalo drive was gone again. I shut down completely, waited a few minutes and then rebooted into Big Sur, but still no luck remounting the TB drive :( I checked my Bios settings, they are still as I'd left them following your suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately... after that success, I booted-up into Windows (installed on a second SSD) to play a game, and when I returned to the Mac (via BootCamp that I installed in Windows using Dortania's guide), the Buffalo drive was gone again. I shut down completely, waited a few minutes and then rebooted into Big Sur, but still no luck remounting the TB drive :( I checked my Bios settings, they are still as I'd left them following your suggestions.
Try changing Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once (or something very similar to this).

IMG_9799.JPG

Back