Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

The Gigabyte Z590 Vision D has on-board Maple Ridge and therefore no Thunderbolt header. But a GC-Titan Ridge can still be used. We only need to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 header to power it on.
Sorry, I was confused. I wonder if it will be possible with a z590 vision G

Sorry, I was confused. I wonder if it will be possible with a z590 vision G
On the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G we have two options:
  • Connect flashed GC-Titan Ridge to motherboard header, which will take care of powering it on.
  • Do not connect to motherboard header, but bridge the top and middle pins of the GC-Titan Ridge J1 header.

On the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G we have two options:
  • Connect flashed GC-Titan Ridge to motherboard header, which will take care of powering it on.
  • Do not connect to motherboard header, but bridge the top and middle pins of the GC-Titan Ridge J1 header.
Incredible! And that way would have hotplug?

I am new in this thread. I got my z590 Vision D and RX 6800xt a few days back and I had some doubts about installation and @CaseySJ helped with it. Used hackindrom for the EFI creation and installing was smooth.

My current Bios version is F5.
Thunderbolt current security level: Unknown status
System info shows the thunderbolt driver is not installed.

Is it normal? Is hotplug working now for TB4?

I would love to enable iGPU also (Core i9 10850K). For this do I have to change any setting other than deleting -wegnoigpu form boot arg(using Macpro7,1)?

Thank you

Attachments

• df.jpg
    df.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.36.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.36.49 AM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 67
I am new in this thread. I got my z590 Vision D and RX 6800xt a few days back and I had some doubts about installation and @CaseySJ helped with it. Used hackindrom for the EFI creation and installing was smooth.

I would love to enable iGPU also (Core i9 10850K). For this do I have to change any setting other than deleting -wegnoigpu form boot arg(using Macpro7,1)?

Thank you
Although I'm not familiar with the Z590 Vision D, here are some suggestions:
  • BIOS --> Change Native OS security for TBT to Disabled
  • Then see if you can change Thunderbolt Security to No Security
Regarding iGPU, it should already be enabled in compute mode. It won't drive a monitor, but will be used for compute tasks such as Intel QuickSync. To confirm, run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you see IGPU@2. If the first child node below that is AppleIntelFramebuffer, then iGPU is activated.

Thank you
I made that EFI and you will need to remove -wegnoigpu for sure, and should use iMac20,x or iMac19,1 instead of MacPro7,1 for better headless support.

That being said I built it for Rocket Lake not Comet Lake. I didn't include any iGPU DeviceProperties as I couldn't boot if I added any property, so you will need to tweak accordingly.

I don't know if anyone got Comet Lake iGPU working on Z590, as I heard awhile back that it didn't work but don't have Comet Lake to try it myself.

PS: I'll get to updating it to OC 0.7.2. I have the EFI, just been swamped this week.

Last edited:
Although I'm not familiar with the Z590 Vision D, here are some suggestions:
  • BIOS --> Change Native OS security for TBT to Disabled
  • Then see if you can change Thunderbolt Security to No Security
Regarding iGPU, it should already be enabled in compute mode. It won't drive a monitor, but will be used for compute tasks such as Intel QuickSync. To confirm, run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you see IGPU@2. If the first child node below that is AppleIntelFramebuffer, then iGPU is activated.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Just because of the stability, I am not enabling igpu for now.
BIOS --> Change Native OS security for TBT to Disabled
It is still greyed out, I hope they will rectify all these issues in coming bios version.
I made that EFI and you will need to remove -wegnoigpu for sure, and should use iMac20,x or iMac19,1 instead of MacPro7,1 for better headless support.
I am grateful for your EFI. I hope in your updated EFI you will add iGPU support (for computing) for whoever using Comet Lake.

I have attached an image, in that it says Thunderbolt driver is not installed.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.36.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.36.49 AM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 63

Thank you
How is BIOS F5 working for you on the z590 vision d, is s3 sleep working ? I tried f5 and had to revert to an earlier test bios.

How is BIOS F5 working for you on the z590 vision d, is s3 sleep working ? I tried f5 and had to revert to an earlier test bios.
Yeah for me sleep works.
I have attached an image, in that it says Thunderbolt driver is not installed.
Is it normal to have this?

Today I came across one weird issue while doing an ad-hoc network. My Designare Z390 and MacBook Pro with USB-C gigabit dongle work perfectly for file sharing, and Z590 Vision D with MacBook pro also works flawlessly.

However, when I connect Designare Z390 to Z590 Vision D it detects the network and shows my machine on the network but couldn't connect. I tried pinging with the IP scanner app, it failed on ping but shows IP address and mac address perfectly.

In short

Z590 2.5GbE to Z390 1GbE Doesn't work
Z590 2.5GbE to Macbook 1GbE Dongle Works
Z390 1GbE to Macbook 1GbE Dongle Works

Any idea, what is happening here?
@CaseySJ @CODYQX4

Last edited:
Back