Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Hello @SchmockLord19,

Good to see the interest in Z590I Vision D. Some questions and comments:
  • When using the i9-11900K, was it necessary to spoof the CPU ID?
  • The Razer Core X has been problematic on Z490, so it’s good to see that it works on Z590.
  • Thunderbolt 4 has a slightly different device tree than Thunderbolt 3, but on the Z590i its Root Port is still RP05. If the sub device under RP05 is ”pcibridge“ instead of UPSB, then it indicates that the Thunderbolt SSDT was rejected by macOS.
    • If so, it will be necessary to examine the boot log: log show —last boot | head -1000 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
  • We have found that Thunderbolt hot plug on this board does not work under macOS. The firmware is different from what we’ve seen before, so the modifications we made for Titan Ridge may or may not work on Maple Ridge.
    • The modified firmware files I provided earlier in this thread to @ori69 are a first attempt. We don’t have a comparable firmware file from Apple, so the modifications I made are not likely to enable Thunderbolt Bus, but hopefully someone will be brave enough (foolish enough? :)) to try them.
  • Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards, we believe there’s a problem with Gigabyte’s firmware (BIOS). So it may be necessary to wait for an update.
Hi. I got a MSI MEG Z590 ACE Motherboard with a Core i9-10900 (Comet Lake) processor. After some hard time making it boot, now I wan to enable Thunderbolt hot plug. In Alpine Ridge (Thunderbolt 3) I had to flash the controller, and then create a custom SSDT using Hackindrom and IOreg. However, for Z590 boards, which have Thunderbolt 4, there is no firmware, as far as I know.
I've enabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS with the following settings:
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support Enabled
Wake from Thunderbolt(TM) Devices Enabled
Current Security Level No Security
Native OS Security for TBT Enabled
Thunderbolt USB Support Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
GPIO filter Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Enabled
TBT Host Router Two port
Extra Bus Reserved 106 (Default)
Reserved memory 737 (default)
Memory Alignment 26 (default)
Reserved Pmemory 1184 (default)
PMemory Alignment 28 (deult)
Reserved I/O 0
Windows 10 Thunderbolt support Enable + RTD3
Under "About this mac" / "system report" / "Hardware" / "Thunderbolt/USB4" shows "Thunderbolt/USB4: No drivers are loaded" and, as yo may guess, I need to plug the TB device before booting into Mac OS in order to be able to use that TB device. (I'm testing with a Startech Thunderbolt 3 dock [TB3DKM2HD].)
Since I read "Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards" I am in the understanding that it is now possible to enable Thunderbolt 4 hot plug on this boards.
Someone suggested me to search for "Thunderbolt" in IOreg to see where is the root port of the Thunderbolt, but no luck at all, since searching "Thunderbolt" throws 0 results (even if i only write "thun").
Can you help me in what am I doing wrong or give advise on what must I do next please?
(running mac OS 11.2.3 Big Sur)
Thank you in advance.

I have an MSI MEG Z590 ACE with an i9-11900K and OpenCore version 0.6.9. Most things seem to work except for sleep and Thunderbolt 4. Audio appears to be internal USB so no problems there. Intel Bluetooth seems to work with no kexts at all. No Airdrop, though. Wifi is Intel ant not working, but I don't need that. I still have to thinker with it, but seems very stable as it is right now. You do have to use SMBIOS 7,1 or it will not boot,. If anyone can help with Thunderbolt 4 and sleep, I will certainly appreciate it
Funny thing, I use the same board, but with a core i9-10900, sleep works fine. Could it be a processor thing?

Funny thing, I use the same board, but with a core i9 10900, sleep works fine. Could it be a processor thing?
Sleep doesn't work fine for me on Asus with 10900. Reading Dortania, CPU is not high on list of sleep issues...

I just noticed one thing I haven't tried is NVMefix...

Thanks for suggestion re memtest... But it's not RAM I'm struggling with.

It looks to me like this Rocket 4 NVMe was just dying, by cooincience, at the same time I was doing my BIOS update and tuning.

I will confirm the new BIOS 0707 is ok for me when I get a replacement drive. For now I am back on beta-0704. For now, if I think there is any change a BIOS update could whomp my drive I would be crazy to try to disprove this when I have no backup :)

As I am running a 10900, and 11th gen looks like less of a bump than I hoped for, plus some hackintosh downsides, I'm considering a WD Black replacement for Sabrent Rocket.

Sabrent responded with a request for more info on failure and this process will just take however long it takes. I expect Sabrent will make good on a replacement, but I would be unhappy to find the next one zonks the same way. It could be bad luck.. For now no way to know. There are no wide-spread reports of failure — well, that I can find...

I looked at Samsung and WD Black and the word on street is 980 soars for PCIe4 when it's cache is not over-run, but WD high-load performance on PCIe3 is more stable, at expense of lower peaks and bragging rights.

BTW—Re reports of 0707 disturbing USB: There is a report here that 0707 updates Maple Ridge, but I didn't see that happen. Maybe it did, but it wasn't shown during update. However I did see a specific TB update happen when originaly updating to beta-0704 last month. beta-0704 updated several sub units, including Intel ME. Well, it so happens that ME is also a separate download / update, so there's whatever way Asus thinks that customers want to move forward versus how Asus wants to move forward. Of course, it's understandable to me that enterprise users might want security updates for ME but nothing else. So what I am saying is there is pattern which is unfamilair to me with Asus update schedule and how/why they break out or include other parts of the firmware.

I'm trying to avoid my own tendency to religiosity in the face of lots of moving parts and unwanted events... Note to self: correlation != cause, etc...

Yes, I've heard about the Maple Ridge issue too. Not sure what to make of it other than hope there are drivers arriving from Intel or Apple soon.

Have you enabled Intel Quicksync on your Comet Lake? You do know you can right?

You have to use these in the DeviceProperties:
Devices > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)

AAPL,slot-name Internal@0,2,0 STRING
AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300923E DATA
device-id 923E0000 DATA

FYI I've also managed to enable the Intel 2.5GBe on my setup.

Yes, I've heard about the Maple Ridge issue too. Not sure what to make of it other than hope there are drivers arriving from Intel or Apple soon.

Have you enabled Intel Quicksync on your Comet Lake? You do know you can right?

You have to use these in the DeviceProperties:
Devices > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)

AAPL,slot-name Internal@0,2,0 STRING
AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300923E DATA
device-id 923E0000 DATA

FYI I've also managed to enable the Intel 2.5GBe on my setup.
Quicksync: Yes

Geekbench5 reports it's working at expected measure of about 5000 Metal. As opposed to W5700 which, when I last measured right before the system died due to Sabrent Rocket fail, rates at about GB5 70,000 Metal.

When tuned-up my 10900 compute is GB5 1330 / 11300 which I feel good about.

If single could be bumped up to 1900 by switching to 11th gen, that's a fine gain.

The Sabrent looked like it would be part of 11th gen plan with PCIe 4, but oh well.

RE TB vs USB quirks: The Asus BIOS has a USB-over-TB enable/disable setting. Can anyone explain what this means?

Quicksync: Yes

Geekbench5 reports it's working at expected measure of about 5000 Metal. As opposed to W5700 which, when I last measured right before the system died due to Sabrent Rocket fail, rates at about GB5 70,000 Metal.

When tuned-up my 10900 compute is GB5 1330 / 11300 which I feel good about.

If single could be bumped up to 1900 by switching to 11th gen, that's a fine gain.

The Sabrent looked like it would be part of 11th gen plan with PCIe 4, but oh well.

RE TB vs USB quirks: The Asus BIOS has a USB-over-TB enable/disable setting. Can anyone explain what this means?
I see. At least it’s good to know the VDA is working I guess.

As for the switch the TB port is now USB-C compatible unlike TB 1 or 2. So I assume it’s to enable USB functionality on the TB port.

Hi. I got a MSI MEG z590 ACE Motherboard with a Core i9 10900 (Cometlake) processor. After some hard time making it boot, now I wan to enable thunderbolt hotplug. In Apline ridge (thunderbolt 3) I had to flash the controller and then create a custom SSDT using Hackindrom and IOreg. However, for z590 boards, which have thunderbolt 4, there is no firmware, as far as I know.
I've enabled thunderbolt in the Bios with the following settings:
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support Enabled
Wake from Thunderbolt(TM) Devices Enabled
Current Security Level No Security
Native OS Security for TBT Enabled
Thunderbolt USB Support Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
GPIO filter Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Enabled
TBT Host Router Two port
Extra Bus Reserved 106 (Default)
Reserved memory 737 (default)
Memory Alignment 26 (default)
Reserved Pmemory 1184 (default)
PMemory Alignment 28 (deult)
Reserved I/O 0
Windows 10 Thunderbolt support Enable + RTD3
Under "About this mac" / "system report" / "Hardware" / "Thunderbolt/USB4" shows "Thunderbolt/USB4: No drivers are loaded" and, as yo may guess, I need to plug the TB device before booting into Mac OS in order to be able to use that TB device (I'm testing with a Startech Thunderbolt3 dock [TB3DKM2HD]).
Since I read "Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards" I am in the understanding that it is now possible to enable thunderbolt 4 hotplug on this boards.
Someone suggested me to search for "Thunderbolt" in IOreg to see where is the root port of the thunderbolt, but no luck at all, since searching "thunderbolt" throws 0 results (even if i only write "thun").
Can you help me in what am I doing wrong or give advise on what must I do next please?
(running mac OS 11.2.3 Big Sur)
Thank you in advance.
In IORegistryExplorer, look under your PCIe root ports. You’re looking for NHI0. There is no Maple Ridge driver for Big Sur, as Apple has topped out at Titan Ridge on Intel based Macs.

But, Thunderbolt 4 certainly is working in Big Sur.

1620136333378.png

As can be seen above, my NHI is located at RP05. I think yours is at RP01. So once you find your NHI's pcie root port, modify the thunderbolt hotplug SSDT for the z590 Asus 13 Hero, which can be found at https://hackindrom.zapto.org (in the drop down menu). Change RP05 to the RP that your NHI is located at.

Last edited:
I see. In that case, has he looked into the other settings in the BIOS? It's quite possible it could be a setting somewhere that is causing this. For example the IOMMU may have something to do with it? Since that controls the Thunderbolt's IO system and PCIe device synchronicity.
It’s not the BIOS settings because the other Thunderbolt port works. BIOS Thunderbolt settings such as pmemory, memory alignment, etc., are the same as before. He’s getting a replacement.

Last edited:
Hi there.

This is what I have found too. Same for me. I enabled it okay but no acceleration. So far no-one that I have seen has managed to get the iGPU working with acceleration using a 500-series motherboard and 10th gen CPU.

I'm testing an ASUS ROG B560I Gaming and a i5-10600 CPU (UHD 630) iGPU only.
I've the same problem after system successful install on both HDMI and DP ports: video but without acceleration or black screen after initial boot with suggested framebuffers for Comet Lake.
Also tested manual connectors patching with no luck (OpenCore 0.6.9, LILU 1.5.3, WhateverGreen 1.4.9 with Big Sur 11.3).

I'm testing an ASUS ROG B560I Gaming and a i5-10600 CPU (UHD 630) iGPU only.
I've the same problem after system successful install on both HDMI and DP ports: video but without acceleration or black screen after initial boot with suggested framebuffers for Comet Lake.
Also tested manual connectors patching with no luck (OpenCore 0.6.9, LILU 1.5.3, WhateverGreen 1.4.9 with Big Sur 11.3).

Sorry the iGPU issue hasn't been resolved yet. I don't think anyone has found an answer.

Let me know how you get on with USB3. We can start another thread if we need to. :thumbup:

Back