Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.56.42 PM.png

Off topic question. Since we're clearly having success with Rocket Lake, I'm curious about Alder Lake. Apparently, the next processors will have small cores + big cores. Would macOS even know how to reserve the small cores for light tasks?

So your driver is also not loading. Perhaps because there is no specific driver in macOS yet. I also saw the same at home on Gigabyte and elsewhere on MSI.
macOS only has a driver for Titan Ridge. Apple divorced Intel after Big Sur was developed, and around the the time Maple Ridge was released...

Off topic question. Since we're clearly having success with Rocket Lake, I'm curious about Alder Lake. Apparently, the next processors will have small cores + big cores. Would macOS even know how to reserve the small cores for light tasks?
macOS does this on M1. As it has performance cores and efficiency cores (big.Little). But will it do it on x86, is any body's guess.

Here a note of success with a Z590

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
- OpenCore 0.6.8
- Big Sur 11.2.3
i9-10900K, Be quiet Dark Rock 4
128GB XPI DDR4 3600
Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMe 2TB in slot M2_2
AMD Radeon Pro W5700
Generic Hackintosh Broadcom Wifi AC
Generic PCIe SATA card 8-ports
  • Intel UHD 630 iGPU VDA decoder "fully supported"
  • Intel i225 dual ethernet works
  • iServices work
  • Wifi / Airdrop work (don't use Continuity / Handoff but I expect it works too)
  • Onboard sound works out-of-box and it appears W5700 sound is detected. Not in a position to test beyond headphones connected to mainboard. See below...
ASUS AI overclocked to 4.9GHz and stable.

Geekbench5:
CPU: 1350 / 11400​
Metal: 65200​
OpenGL: 60800​
Cinebench: 16200
AJA Drive Test: 2800 R/W

I'm coming at this from a cMP 3,1 running dosdude Catalina. This pick is sort of awkward and lavish but it was a gift.

I punted on Rocket Lake due to uncertainties in early picture. Can drop in 11000 series if it seems compelling.

Can't get display connected to iGPU to work. Am lost in caverns of Whatevergreen / Hackintool framebuffer patching. (See P.S. below...)

AppleALC.kext is in the OC config, but may not be needed — By the time I got to looking at this post-install it seemed to be working fine.

Added @CaseSJ HackinDROM patch for Thunderbolt and Maple Ridge controller is listed in System Report but no way to test.

Surprisingly quiet under full load pushing 50 cf/m. Cores run high 80s. 250W thermal listed in iSTAT menus. Some throttling but holds steady enough under load. This can be further tuned.

Will put it all in a Fractal Design Meshify 2 case with a ton of spinners. This case is a beauty, but huge. Makes me appreciate Apple design all the more, especially cMP.

Thanks to the great write-up at Dortania github and the wealth of experience on this forum, this was a very fun / challenging build for an OC newbie. Thank you community!

P.S. Noobs:
- A Big Sur supported dGPU is required for now.
- The attached EFI is close to what I believe is minimum but I'm uncertain. When reading lore, I often came across config recommendations from a year or so ago which seem relevant to iGPU and other config, but have since been obviated by updated OC components. I hope EFI I've provided is relatively clean and a decent baseline for anyone just getting started with this board. That said, the DeviceProperties iGPU connector config is certainly wrong.
- I had a challenging experience getting to know OpenCore and at one point lost my working config and took me a whole day to recover. The Dortania guide deserves **very careful attention.** You may have to develop some working habits to avoid overlooking important details or going backwards. Pretty much every single item discussed in Dortania is relevant. It an amazing guide. It also says things like "If you don't patch you own ACPI, how will you ever know". Well. the flip-side is there is just too much to know it all. So find enjoyment in the exploration and do not expect anything to given beyond immediate offering. Any config change is significant. As rule of thumb, when stuck, consider removing config! :) And keep working copies around to fall back on.

———

View attachment 515111
Is sleep working for this build? Or does it wake up immediately after going to sleep?

So your driver is also not loading. Perhaps because there is no specific driver in macOS yet. I also saw the same at home on Gigabyte and elsewhere on MSI.

I added thunderbolt config based on this thread dialog between between @askinner97 and @CaseySJ on this same thread, post 36:

If you follow on thru page 6, the report is TB is working with hot-plug.

Currently I cannot test TB.

@dehjomz: I didn't think about computer sleep because I want it disabled, so when I looked in Energy Saver, I see there is no control displayed for computer sleep (!) only display sleep., but I didn't notice. Oversight on my part.

@energy23: Not sure of context of your question. To be clear, my build is Comet Lake on a z590. When I ordered parts mid March, I tried to look ahead but Rocket Lake was not yet shipping and uncertain it could work, so I punted for i9-10900K.

— iGPU +/- dGPU —

Side note: I have been over iGPU config backwards and forwards but can't figure it out completely. When I unplug the Radeon W5700, I could get iGPU to run an HDMI port un-accelerated, but never figured out how to run iGPU dispay accelerated.

When dGPU is online fully working, iGPU VDA decoder is listed as also online, so basic config is correct.

What I would like to achieve is option to run both iGPU and dGPU at once or/and dGPU and VDA decoder. Its not essential but I would like to figure the config limits. I have read WEG FAQ and Dortania front-to-back and am stuck, unable to get full iGPU display accel, nor can I make it connect to a display when dGPU is active.

There are too many config permutations and some configs crash then I have to take OC cofig to another computer, and reset. This ROG Hero VIII takes forever to get through POST. PITA. A great board and rich BIOS, but nothing's perfect.

A bit more down the road I will report all pertinent BIOS settings.

I would want to think that by design, Alder Lake should technically work like any other x86 CPU. I would like to think the chip will be designed to be seen by the OS as like any other x86 chip, but functions different internally compared to say a Skylake chip. But as dehjomz says noone knows if this efficiency cores functionality will be supported in macOS.

Is sleep working for this build? Or does it wake up immediately after going to sleep?

Ah-k, so the Energy Saver prefpane has been changed by Apple for Big Sur and no longer includes a sleep slider?

... setting the Display Sleep slider to 1 minute, the system sleeps then wakes right up 1 second later.

Ah-k, so the Energy Saver prefpane has been changed by Apple for Big Sur and no longer includes a sleep slider?

... setting the Display Sleep slider to 1 minute, the system sleeps then wakes right up 1 second later.
The sleep slider has been gone since High Sierra or one of those operating systems… the system by default goes to sleep soon after the the timer for when the monitor goes off.

sounds like something is causing the system to immediately wake up, but it could anything…from the Bluetooth controller to some other pcie peripheral. not sure what.

Back