Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

This looks like the issues with networking and variable amounts of RAM/RAM sticks in the Z390 Designare thread, until it was figured out how to enable AppleVTD.

This is great I'll check this out thanks!

edit: AppleVTD was successfully enabled but did not affect Thunderbolt detection. I did discover that sleep 'fixes' the setup when two RAM sticks are installed.

So, if there are two RAM sticks, the computer must be put to sleep, but can be restarted. If it is shutdown, it will need to be put back to sleep and woken up to enable Thunderbolt 4 again.

One stick works fine. No idea why that would be.

Last edited:
@SpiceHouseSound I am sorry, but I didn't get your explanation.

What doesn't work when you have two RAM sticks installed?

I am asking because I am using the Z590i Vision D and also have two RAM sticks installed. But I never thought that the number of RAMs installed could affect Thunderbolt or sleep.

And I would like to try what you have observed.

@SpiceHouseSound I am sorry, but I didn't get your explanation.

What doesn't work when you have two RAM sticks installed?

I am asking because I am using the Z590i Vision D and also have two RAM sticks installed. But I never thought that the number of RAMs installed could affect Thunderbolt or sleep.

And I would like to try what you have observed.

Yes ,I never though that either. If I have two sticks of RAM installed, no Thunderbolt devices will be recognized at all. When I put it to sleep and it gets woken back up again, they work and hot plug. That makes zero sense to me. So it took me hours to figure out, lol. One stick works fine always.

I've used the non-i version of that Vision D board and haven't experienced that issue, but curious what you find. I certainly never tested using one stick of RAM on it. It's possible that's one reason why people are getting different results with the same board.

Hello! Here I made 2 files, one just turned on the machine with the error BEFORE the panic
and another when the panic occurs and the uad appears!
Hi @CaseySJ . I would like to go back to this, since it is the only thing left for hackintosh to work well. I have the titan Ridge 2.0 Flashed, and I panic just once when I plug in some UAD. With other things no, I have tried an HD Native, and some discs. Is there something that can be done? I think it must be more related to the audio, than to the ssdt of the titan ... Sorry to bother !, I hope your help!

Hi @CaseySJ . I would like to go back to this, since it is the only thing left for hackintosh to work well. I have the titan Ridge 2.0 Flashed, and I panic just once when I plug in some UAD. With other things no, I have tried an HD Native, and some discs. Is there something that can be done? I think it must be more related to the audio, than to the ssdt of the titan ... Sorry to bother !, I hope your help!
Because UAD devices work with original unmodified firmware, have you considered flashing the original Thunderbolt firmware back?

@CaseySJ do you have any idea why two RAM sticks vs one would cause TB devices not to be recognized? I've tried all sorts of Google-fu and can't come up with anything.

Don't think there's a better person to ask!

@CaseySJ do you have any idea why two RAM sticks vs one would cause TB devices not to be recognized? I've tried all sorts of Google-fu and can't come up with anything.

Don't think there's a better person to ask!
This sounds like a BIOS bug. We don't see this problem on Z390, Z490, other Z590 boards, and Z690.

Are you using high speed RAM such as 3600MHz CL14 or 3200MHz CL12?

This sounds like a BIOS bug. We don't see this problem on Z390, Z490, other Z590 boards, and Z690.

Are you using high speed RAM such as 3600MHz CL14 or 3200MHz CL12?

Ah interesting. I have 3200 CL14. I've tried running it with and without XMP without a change. As well as swapping all possible locations.

Are any of you having a slow boot screen problem?
I have a Z390M Gaming that takes two seconds to show the Gigabyte logo image when it turns on, and I'm using Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x16GB DDR4 3200MHz memories. I even put these same memories on the Z590M Gaming X, and it's taking 20 seconds to boot screen. Then I changed it to 4x32GB Kingston Fury 3200MHz, and it's still the same. Does anyone have any ideas?
Well that Gigabyte could release a BIOS correction for this slowness because I see several people complaining about this issue.

Are any of you having a slow boot screen problem?
I have a Z390M Gaming that takes two seconds to show the Gigabyte logo image when it turns on, and I'm using Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x16GB DDR4 3200MHz memories. I even put these same memories on the Z590M Gaming X, and it's taking 20 seconds to boot screen. Then I changed it to 4x32GB Kingston Fury 3200MHz, and it's still the same. Does anyone have any ideas?
Well that Gigabyte could release a BIOS correction for this slowness because I see several people complaining about this issue.
I've read a couple user reviews on NewEgg saying something similar, "memory training" is how one user put it. Seems like it could be corrected with a future BIOS update. Does it do it if fast boot is enabled (which isn't recommended to boot OSx)?

Back