1. Classic
  2. eMac
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
I got some questions regarding my new build I'm planning to buy.
The components are as follows:

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel Core i7-10700k
PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700XT Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse 8GB OC
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 64GB 3600mhz
750W Antec HCG750 Gold
be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
Corsair H100X water cooling
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250gb (Windows OS drive)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb (Windows storage for games etc)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb (Mac, migrated from my macbook pro)
Samsung 860 EVO 500gb (storage)
Seagate SATA 3tb (storage)

I'm going to run Catalina latest.

My questions:
1) Will 750W be enough?
2) Is PowerColor Red Dragon the best choice of RX5700XT? I'm planning to get a 2k screen with 144hz or 165hz (FreeSync)
3) OpenCore or Clover? The big question these days...

I'm not super coding savvy, but this will be my third hack, so as far as research goes I atleast know how to find and follow guides. I plan to use the Windows side for gaming and the Mac side for work. Booting into windows by holding down F12 and selecting it at the beginning doesn't bother me. I've heard booting into windows through opencore bootloader isn't as good. I've also heard OpenCore can be very difficult, and I've only used multibeast and clover before, but I also hear OpenCore is the future and it's better in many respects. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I got some questions regarding my new build I'm planning to buy.
The components are as follows:

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel Core i7-10700k
PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700XT
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 64GB 3600mhz
750W Antec HCG750 Gold
be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
Corsair H100X water cooling
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250gb (Windows OS drive)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb (Windows storage for games etc)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb (Mac, migrated from my macbook pro)
Samsung 860 EVO 500gb (storage)
Seagate SATA 3tb (storage)

I'm going to run Catalina latest.

My questions:
1) Will 750W be enough?
2) Is PowerColor Red Dragon the best choice of RX5700XT? I'm planning to get a 2k screen with 144hz or 165hz (FreeSync)
3) OpenCore or Clover? The big question these days...

I'm not super coding savvy, but this will be my third hack, so as far as research goes I atleast know how to find and follow guides. I plan to use the Windows side for gaming and the Mac side for work. Booting into windows by holding down F12 and selecting it at the beginning doesn't bother me. I've heard booting into windows through opencore bootloader isn't as good. I've also heard OpenCore can be very difficult, and I've only used multibeast and clover before, but I also hear OpenCore is the future and it's better in many respects. Would love to hear your thoughts.
(1) Yes, I believe 750W should be enough.
(2) Personally I would use Sapphire cards.
(3) As far as I know, Clover (5122 and older) may not work with Z490. The latest versions of Clover (5123 and above) actually transfer booting to OpenCore. I would say you should use OpenCore directly with your system.

Note that with 3 NVMe SSDs three of the SATA ports on the motherboad will be disabled. Read the manual for further details.

The motherboard has 6 SATA ports though, so with my 5 drives i should be OK, right? As long as I figure out which gets disabled.

What's the upside with Sapphire cards?

I had a look and decided to go for the Sapphire RX5700XT Pulse 8gb OC.

The motherboard has 6 SATA ports though, so with my 5 drives i should be OK, right? As long as I figure out which gets disabled.

What's the upside with Sapphire cards?
Here is a guide for your board:

Sapphire cards are better because their Vbios is the most compatible with MacOS. Other cards Vbios may not like MacOS.

The Casey's topic mentioned above is the OTB 100% success !
Sapphire is good (I set up a machine for a friend), I personally have a gigabyte one which works perfectly fine too :) Welcome to the club of Z490 owners and all the best ! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back