Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I have successfully installed OS Catalina using Opencore 5.6 and most everything I have been able to get working. The main issue I am having is with the USBC and Thunderbolt connections on the motherboard.

All of my Thunderbolt settings appear to be correct in BIOS and actually what I am now noticing is that whenever i plug a USB-c connection into the top of case, it has a light for a few seconds showing power and then stops - the computer still works. When i plug USB-c connection into either of the 2 back thunderbolt connections, the computer seems to completely freeze and I have to do a force reboot to fix. IF the connection in the back is done before the computer starts, then the computer does NOT freeze, but the USB-c drive still does not show.

They are wired correctly though as I am able to use them outside of the Mac OS

Has anyone had this problem or know how I can potentially fix this?
I have the SSDT under ACPI based on the Z390 Designare Mobo but it does not seem to be working properly.

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 10.12.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Maybe you know maybe you don't but this thread is dedicated to z390 designare. There are also some hot things going down right now with Thunderbolt 3 in the following thread:

I have successfully installed OS Catalina using Opencore 5.6 and most everything I have been able to get working. The main issue I am having is with the USBC and Thunderbolt connections on the motherboard.

All of my Thunderbolt settings appear to be correct in BIOS and actually what I am now noticing is that whenever i plug a USB-c connection into the top of case, it has a light for a few seconds showing power and then stops - the computer still works. When i plug USB-c connection into either of the 2 back thunderbolt connections, the computer seems to completely freeze and I have to do a force reboot to fix. IF the connection in the back is done before the computer starts, then the computer does NOT freeze, but the USB-c drive still does not show.

They are wired correctly though as I am able to use them outside of the Mac OS

Has anyone had this problem or know how I can potentially fix this?
I have the SSDT under ACPI based on the Z390 Designare Mobo but it does not seem to be working properly.

View attachment 454900
Hi ncrispi,

I think I have the same problem. I have the system running since February but I never had any thunderbolt/usb-c device to test it.
Now I got a USB-C monitor (No thunderbolt/only USB-C) that I was hoping to use with this connection instead of HDMI/Displayport but the USB-C on the back of the z390 Designare doesn't work and freeze the system.

Did you have the chance to find a solution of it?
It's that a matter of USB port remapping?

The Thunderbolt USB-C port needs to be added to your SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext. The two USB-C ports SSP1 and SSP2 should be included under XHC5 controller, which is different to your standard XHC motherboard USB ports.

These are the USB ports that I have activated on a number of Z390 Designare systems:

All motherboard USB ports_resize.png Motherboard USB ports

Designer Rear IO Layer v3_resize.png REAR I/O plate USB ports

Note the USB2 virtual ports for the two USB-C ports are not active (HS08 and HS13), to keep the XHC controller within the 15 port limit.

The XHC controller is 8086:A36D
The XHC5 controller is 8086:15EC

If you are using a USBPorts.kext for your USB configuration, I hope you have remembered to remove USBInjectAll.kext from your /CLOVER/kexts/Other or /OC/kexts folder and the kext entry from the /OC/config.plist. As you do not need the USBInjectAll.kext when using the USBPorts.kext.

If you are using an SSDT-UIAC.aml then you do need the USBInjectAll.kext.

I am assuming you have SSDT-Z390-Designare-TB3HP-V4.aml or similar SSDT placed in your /OC/ACPI or /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder activating your Thunderbolt device. Also that you updated the TB firmware in Windows, as this is usually a requirement for getting the TB device to work in macOS.

The Thunderbolt USB-C port needs to be added to your SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext. The two USB-C ports SSP1 and SSP2 should be included under XHC5 controller, which is different to your standard XHC motherboard USB ports.

These are the USB ports that I have activated on a number of Z390 Designare systems:

View attachment 493403 Motherboard USB ports

View attachment 493404 REAR I/O plate USB ports

Note the USB2 virtual ports for the two USB-C ports are not active (HS08 and HS13), to keep the XHC controller within the 15 port limit.

The XHC controller is 8086:A36D
The XHC5 controller is 8086:15EC

If you are using a USBPorts.kext for your USB configuration, I hope you have remembered to remove USBInjectAll.kext from your /CLOVER/kexts/Other or /OC/kexts folder and the kext entry from the /OC/config.plist. As you do not need the USBInjectAll.kext when using the USBPorts.kext.

If you are using an SSDT-UIAC.aml then you do need the USBInjectAll.kext.

I am assuming you have SSDT-Z390-Designare-TB3HP-V4.aml or similar SSDT placed in your /OC/ACPI or /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder activating your Thunderbolt device. Also that you updated the TB firmware in Windows, as this is usually a requirement for getting the TB device to work in macOS.
This is an amazing help for us, beginners, to understand motherboard ports on this MOBO. I am trying to hook up a BenQ monitor KVM switch and hoping I can send my USB devices upstream from the monitors USB ports into the thunderbolt connection of my Designare. Do the SSP ports receive USB connections this way or are they only an output? If they cannot act as upstream receivers can the HS08 and/or HS13 ports be enabled by disabling some of the other ports? My issue is that my monitor has built in KVM switch but only 1 upstream USB port, so the other machine needs to be thunderbolt 3 capable and neither of my two graphics cards has thunderbolt connection. I am routing my gpu into my Designare x390 DP in port and sending video through the MOBO thunderbolt, which is working. Thanks so much for looking at this!

Sorry but I have no idea if the upstream function for the Type-C ports works that way. I think it does on Windows, but that doesn't mean it will behave in the same way when running macOS.

HS08 and HS13 are the USB2 virtual ports, activating them won't necessarily help, as there are no Type-C USB2 devices that can be directly connected to the ports on the motherboard.

However, things change if you are using either of the Type-C ports as a hub. If you connect a USB2 device through a monitor, dock or hub, which in turn is connected to one of the Type-C ports, then you may find you need one or both of these USB2 ports for the USB2 device to be recognised and work as expected. I would expect any USB3 devices to work with just the SSPX ports active.

Also I was quite confused when the two USB2 ports came up as part of the motherboard's XHC controller. I expected them to be HS01 and HS02 on the XHC5 controller. Probably down to how Gigabyte have implemented the built-in Type-C ports. As a discrete Titan Ridge PCIe Thunderbolt card's Type-C ports are all under the XHC3 controller.

No problems here with the same board and USB-C on top (Fractal Design Define R6 case) or on the back (Red USB 3.1 connectors or TB connectors).

A Samsung T5, an SSD USB-C enclosure, an USB-C dock and an USB-C key, all working fine.

Same goes for my Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, a Presonus Quantum 2626.

I had troubles at first with the T5 but it was a bad cable (the OEM one). It wasn’t freezes however but the T5 wasn’t always recognized. New cable from Amazon solved it.

Running Clover 5099, Mojave 10.14.6 with iMacPro SMBIOS. I use a custom USB injector kext.

If you need it, I can share my EFI folder without SN. Just keep me informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back