Contribute
Register

Z390 Designare, 9700k, UHD 630 won't work even with connectors patch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490 Designare
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hey guys, seasoned builder here. This is my first "barebones" build aimed at being a wav capture comp for my studio, so it doesn't need a GPU. I have followed every possible step, guide, etc I can seem to find but can't get the HDMI working on the UHD 630. I understand it needs a connectors patch for HDMI, I also understand Hackintool has pre-made patches for this for the Z390 Designare.

What I can tell you is that I've tried 4 connectors patches including the ones in Hackintool (which are also in the post here in the forums about patching connectors from @CaseySJ), both on iMac and MacMini smbios, so that's 8 different configs, and ALL of them behave the exact same way:

- UHD630 works with display on screen from power on until end of progress loading bar on Apple screen and handoff takes place.
- Display is dropped on handoff.
- Once display is dropped, if I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable, display comes back for a few seconds before being dropped again as shown in this video. DROPBOX VIDEO: UHD630 Problems

Have been at this for days, so many different tweaks, nothing changes the behavior described above. The EFI is confirmed working for this build when it has an AMD GPU inserted using no injection, just latest Lilu & WEG. The only difference here is using the UHD 630 instead of an AMD GPU and adding the connectors patch.

This is puzzling to me, the fact that a hot plug triggers it to come on for a sec shows me it can get a signal, why won't it stay on? Anyone seen this before? Any ideas how I can make it work? At this point I haven't even gotten past the install stage because I can't see anything, so I have to keep pulling the install USB and tweaking the EFI on my main rig.

Thank you!!

Because you're connecting to a television, there can be some complications. Some general guidelines for TVs:
  • Check which HDMI port is designed specifically for Gaming or PC connection. Use that port.
  • It's best to use a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable (no adapters).
  • If HDR or Wide Color Gamut or similar extended color mode is enabled, you may need to turn them all off.
    • That is, we should disable HDR and any wide color mode.
  • It's also helpful to consult the TV user's guide. It should have a section discussing how to connect PCs and Gaming Consoles.
  • Sometimes the problem lies with the refresh frequency. The TV user's manual should also have a list of the acceptable frequencies (refresh rates).

Because you're connecting to a television, there can be some complications. Some general guidelines for TVs:
  • Check which HDMI port is designed specifically for Gaming or PC connection. Use that port.
  • It's best to use a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable (no adapters).
  • If HDR or Wide Color Gamut or similar extended color mode is enabled, you may need to turn them all off.
    • That is, we should disable HDR and any wide color mode.
  • It's also helpful to consult the TV user's guide. It should have a section discussing how to connect PCs and Gaming Consoles.
  • Sometimes the problem lies with the refresh frequency. The TV user's manual should also have a list of the acceptable frequencies (refresh rates).

Thanks @CaseySJ. So the TV works fine on every other build I've done both with Nvidia and AMD GPU's, and it works on the UHD 630 for bios and boot up until handoff, and works fine under Windows 10. I don't think it'd be the TV settings if it works properly under all those other scenarios, right?

I am using the same HDMI port on the TV that works for all other scenarios (labeled Computer), I'm using the same HDMI to HDMI cable I always use for all builds, no settings have been changed on the TV, no HDR or the like.

Appreciate the help,
-Eric

Please note:
  • During BIOS and Clover, the iGPU is using a default VESA (VGA) graphics driver (non-accelerated). This will use different resolution and refresh rate compared with the accelerated driver.
  • During macOS boot, when you see the handoff blip, it's the accelerated driver that is taking over (AppleIntelFramebuffer). This driver can (and often will) change both the resolution and the frequency.
  • If it uses a resolution and/or frequency that is incompatible with the TV, then of course the signal will be dropped.
Do you still have the Vega 64 installed? If so, then:
  • In BIOS, set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot (if Vega is in Slot 1).
  • Connect both the Vega 64 and the iGPU to the TV on two different HDMI ports.
  • Switch the TV to the HDMI port on which the Vega is connected. You should see a signal.
  • Open System Preferences --> Displays and see if you can check the resolution and refresh rate of the iGPU. If so, set it to a low resolution and low refresh rate such as 1080p at 30Hz (1920 x 1080 at 30 Hz).
  • Then switch the TV back to the iGPU HDMI port. Do you see anything?

Please note:
  • During BIOS and Clover, the iGPU is using a default VESA (VGA) graphics driver (non-accelerated). This will use different resolution and refresh rate compared with the accelerated driver.
  • During macOS boot, when you see the handoff blip, it's the accelerated driver that is taking over (AppleIntelFramebuffer). This driver can (and often will) change both the resolution and the frequency.
  • If it uses a resolution and/or frequency that is incompatible with the TV, then of course the signal will be dropped.
Do you still have the Vega 64 installed? If so, then:
  • In BIOS, set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot (if Vega is in Slot 1).
  • Connect both the Vega 64 and the iGPU to the TV on two different HDMI ports.
  • Switch the TV to the HDMI port on which the Vega is connected. You should see a signal.
  • Open System Preferences --> Displays and see if you can check the resolution and refresh rate of the iGPU. If so, set it to a low resolution and low refresh rate such as 1080p at 30Hz (1920 x 1080 at 30 Hz).
  • Then switch the TV back to the iGPU HDMI port. Do you see anything?

Thank you again for the help, @CaseySJ!

So this is a different build, the Vega is in another computer. I do not have a spare GPU to put into this comp, need to get it working for install on the UHD 630.

Are you suggesting that getting past the install and into the OS would allow me to change things on the UHD 630 settings which may be affecting it's output?

I purchased a Displayport to HDMI adapter today to test the other port, I am also going to test shortly on a computer monitor instead of TV.

-Eric

Thank you again for the help, @CaseySJ!

So this is a different build, the Vega is in another computer. I do not have a spare GPU to put into this comp, need to get it working for install on the UHD 630.

Are you suggesting that getting past the install and into the OS would allow me to change things on the UHD 630 settings which may be affecting it's output?

I purchased a Displayport to HDMI adapter today to test the other port, I am also going to test shortly on a computer monitor instead of TV.

-Eric
Testing on a computer monitor is a good idea -- especially if the monitor has both HDMI and DP inputs.

We can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or we can use a USB-C to HDMI cable. The USB-C section of the cable can be connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel.

Testing on a computer monitor is a good idea -- especially if the monitor has both HDMI and DP inputs.

We can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or we can use a USB-C to HDMI cable. The USB-C section of the cable can be connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel.

Tested today on TV with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, no display whatsoever.

Tested V2 (preferred) patch for Designare with iMac smbios on 1440p ultra wide computer monitor today, HDMI worked under this config.

Tested today on TV with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, no display whatsoever.

Tested V2 (preferred) patch for Designare with iMac smbios on 1440p ultra wide computer monitor today, HDMI worked under this config.
Computer monitors are generally able to handle a wider set of resolutions and frequencies than TVs. If you connect the system back to the TV (yes, I know it will have no signal) you can still login via remote desktop.

There are several ways to access your Mac remotely. It will be necessary to install the remote connection software/permissions first (simply connect to the 1440p Monitor to do so). Then switch to the TV and login remotely. Open System Preferences --> Displays and now you should be able to check and change the resolution and refresh rate that the iGPU is using.

Computer monitors are generally able to handle a wider set of resolutions and frequencies than TVs. If you connect the system back to the TV (yes, I know it will have no signal) you can still login via remote desktop.

There are several ways to access your Mac remotely. It will be necessary to install the remote connection software/permissions first (simply connect to the 1440p Monitor to do so). Then switch to the TV and login remotely. Open System Preferences --> Displays and now you should be able to check and change the resolution and refresh rate that the iGPU is using.

If I need to use the TV instead of the monitor, will take this route to get it going with TeamViewer. Thanks again, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back