Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all

So for a while now, I've been trying to investigate on my end on how to get all of the USB ports (mostly USB 3.0) active ever since after the 11.3 update that happened a while back. As of right now, I have a USB 2.0 Hub on the back on the motherboard and I'm using my keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth adapter, scanner, audio interface (SSL 2+), and my Logitech C920 webcam.

I've taken out the USBInjectAll.kext as it didn't work for me after that particular update and that kext file hasn't been updated since I acquired it earlier this year.

Most of the USB 3.0 ports work, but to some extent. Such as I can only use a flash drive on any USB 3.0 front/rear and Disk Utility mounts it and be able to use it freely. But when it comes to a USB power device like my audio interface, that's a different story. It powers on and the device is lighten up, but the computer doesn't see it. And this happens when I try different ports on the back on my computer, and even the front two ports. Not just the interface, but my other powered devices.

I've exhausted as much solution as I can (unless there was something that I have missed).

I used USBMap.commmand to map out all the ports of my motherboard and two front USB 3 ports, and created a USBPort.kext. I dumped the file into my EFI folder, went into ProperTree, clean snapshot, restart, and didn't pick up.

Also went into Hackintool to clean up the USB list, and the number of ports was higher than usual. And I got nothing for that.

Last I went into the BIOS menu and toggled with the XHCI option, enabled the hand-off and nothing.

I was curious if anyone with the same motherboard had the same problem as I did. And if so, if someone can tell me what you did to get most of your ports working again. Or if have a kext that they're current using for the Z390 Aorus Pro can possibly share it to see if it was something wrong with mine.

Specs :
OpenCore 0.7.2
OS Build - Mac OS Big Sur
Version - 11.5.1
Motherboard - Z390 Aorus Pro (4 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0, 2 USB 3.1, & 1 USB C)
GPU - RX 5700 XT
Case - Corsair 200R Case (2 Front USB 3.0)

The USBMap below shows that the last USB list has a SanDisk flash connected but there is not. It was only to make sure the ports were active when I was seeing what ports was working or not.

I hope this all makes sense, felt like I was rambling. But hope to hear soon. Thank you guys.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.21.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.21.40 PM.png
    348.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.21.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.21.54 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
Hi, did you found solution to your problem?
I moved to Monterey and experiencing similar issue.

Thanks,
Goran

The USBMap.kext screenshot shows your problem, all the ports are set as USB3. You have no ports set as USB2 only, there are 4 x USB2 ports on your systems rear I/O plate, as seen below:

Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 21.33.36.png

There are 5 x USB3 ports and 1 x USB Type-C port. The Type-C port is not shown correctly in the USBMap.kext screenshot either.

Internally your motherboard has the following USB connectors:
  • 2 x USB2 dual port headers (total of 4 x USB2 ports)
  • 1 x Type-C header (front case?)
  • 1 x USB3 header (2 x USB2 & 2 x USB3 ports)

These header ports are highlighted on the motherboard layout below:

Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 21.34.12.png Motherboard layout with USB headers highlighted.

You need to take in to account each and every type of port or header when creating your USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext.

Using the wrong connector type means the configuration is WRONG and it won't work correctly. You can end up with ports not working, sleep/Wake issues etc.

I would recommend you read and follow UtterDisbelief's USB configuration guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Incorrect initial post, deleted content, see below

Last edited:
1st you ports are mislabeled ie the correct dropdown in Hackintool has not been selected.

2nd you must unlock Hackintool to make changes or export a USB Kext. Only the Kext is needed (the other 4 files created or not necessary)

3. You not have a USBport kext in the EFI to do initial mapping either with USBmap or Hackintool.
4. You must have USBinjectall 0.7.6 in Efi using Propertree to update config.plist to start mapping with either. (Sniki)

5. It might be good to add USB unsupported with USB injectall to make sure all ports show before mapping out and labling port types.. Or XHCI unsuported...

6. Edhawk's comment should be followed as they are correct.

7. It is easier map correctly using BS 11.2.3 or below, 11.6.1 or 11.6.2 will not yield easy results.

8. XHCIportlimit enabled can only be used with BS 11.2.3 or lower.

The USBMap.kext screenshot shows your problem, all the ports are set as USB3. You have no ports set as USB2 only, there are 4 x USB2 ports on your systems rear I/O plate, as seen below:

View attachment 535678

There are 5 x USB3 ports and 1 x USB Type-C port. The Type-C port is not shown correctly in the USBMap.kext screenshot either.

Internally your motherboard has the following USB connectors:
  • 2 x USB2 dual port headers (total of 4 x USB2 ports)
  • 1 x Type-C header (front case?)
  • 1 x USB3 header (2 x USB2 & 2 x USB3 ports)

These header ports are highlighted on the motherboard layout below:

View attachment 535679 Motherboard layout with USB headers highlighted.

You need to take in to account each and every type of port or header when creating your USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext.

Using the wrong connector type means the configuration is WRONG and it won't work correctly. You can end up with ports not working, sleep/Wake issues etc.

I would recommend you read and follow UtterDisbelief's USB configuration guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
Edhawk,
No where have I read any rule about dual personality ports: IE HS01; SS01, CAN YOU MAP OUT THE SLOW PERSONALITY I.E. HS01 of a port and keep SS01 with no issues i.e. NO kernel panics, or since they are tied together, is it a rule, that they both must be mapped-out together, if necessary, to reach the Magic 15 for each USB controller?

Last edited:
No it is not a rule that a pair of ports on the same physical connector must be mapped together. You can activate any port on its own.

That goes for a USB3 port where the USB2 virtual port (HS01) can be dropped/not used but the USB3 physical port (SS01) can be activated and still works, or visa versa if required.

Same with Internal USB headers, you only need to activate/map the ports you want. Commonly an Apple WiFi/BT card will have a USB2 header connector that takes up both spaces in the motherboard header, but only one port will need to be activated for the Bluetooth to work in macOS.

There are no restrictions on which ports can or should be activated/mapped, other than the 15 port limit, which Apple introduced.

Hello,
I just got the same mainboard and i still got problem with some usb ports (external usb3),
could you please share me your SSDT-USBX.aml (USBPorts.kext) ?
Or if you use only USBMap your SSDT generated for my futures tests.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back