i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I am trying to install Catalina OS X from USB and followed the official instructions to create a Catalina boot drive https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/ , with the caveat that I selected APFS as opposed to Journaled as the file system type (I tried journaled and it said OS X couldn't be loaded onto my computer, either way I wan't APFS as my MacBook Pro is APFS).

Both installation screens (initial from external boot drive, then booting from the disk) go through to completion.

Then when going back to boot from disk, it hangs on the apple logo (picture attached shows in verbose mode).

Attachments

• 564CB3F2-B283-47CF-B0AD-6DD5C79449A2.jpeg
    564CB3F2-B283-47CF-B0AD-6DD5C79449A2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
Odd, EFI doesn't work when booting from disk. In fact even the external usb no longer works/able to reach the install settings/need to re-create a Catalina boot drive. Going to recreate a usb boot drive, any idea why it's not working?

Open the EFI folder on the usb installer and delete everything, now open the EFI Folder I sent you and copy the three folders (Apple, Boot and Clover) onto the EFI Partition of the usb Installer. If this does not work, you're doing something wrong, If that's the case, you'll have to rebuild the usb installer with Clover ver: 5103 for UEFI booting only and just swop out the EFI Folder for mine.

I just drag & draped the folder (i.e. selected the replace option), I'll manual delete try again, and then try rebuild if that doesn't work. Thanks for getting back so fast!

Yea I'm at a loss for words right now.. I'm still struggling.

I have not used clover before (been using unibeast), but I was under the impression you would create a Mac OS X boot drive per apples official guidance using terminal

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume"

then you would run clover (thanks for attaching) to install the boot loader on the USB that has that Catalina installer on it correct?

I tried running this without your EFI, and it does not work and just sits with the apple logo with no loading screen (albeit unibeast does work and is using clover 5102).

I then tried running this with your EFI, and it does not work but at least the status bar loads.

Similarly, I tried using an EFI from a similar build to mine https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-vega64-gigabyte-z390-aorus-pro-wifi.267701/ , and that did not work either.

I'm at a bit of a loss as of what I should try next?

Ok - The EFI folder I uploaded is optimised for Gigabyte z390 boards it allows the installation of Catalina if the installer is built in the correct way and the BiOS is correctly set. At least 3 others with different flavour Boards of the z390 e.g Pro, Pro wifi and M had success with the EFI so I can't fathom what your problem is. I suggest you rebuild your installer either Unibeast way or createinstallmedia but at completion swop out the EFI folder for mine.

Side Note - I'm away for the weekend so I will only have access through my iPhone so hope you solve the problem. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back