Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
After many unsuccessful attempts to upgrade to Catalina, here is where I'm stuck.

I restored to my original Mojave setup. I preceded to do an update via the System Preferences > Software Update. Screenshots below show where the problem occurs. This is at the 3rd restart. (Install OS is no longer an option).

At one point, I did a clean install and was able to boot into Catalina. However, the migration from my main disk wasn't successful.

Any suggestions?

verbose1.jpegverbose2.jpeg

Clover 5070

EFI-ACPI.pngEFI-Kext.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 85
Having the exact same issue here

Try to disable sata controller

look for my post about Z390 success
do not know if it work for ASUS or not.

@RedRogue I have the same motherboard and processor as you. I updated to Catlina with no issues. I have attached my clover folder, it may help you. It has ssdts for a custom 15 port USB layout as follows

15 USB Port layout.png
Side note. I'm not sure but there may be some sleep issues though with my config. I haven't had time to really determine it.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks for help.

I have tried several EFI configurations that others have posted. I have determined, in my case, the problem is not the EFI.

Here's why.

I performed several clean installs and was able to get Catalina up and running each time. I then used Migration Assistant to import my apps, settings and files. In my first migration, I imported everything which resulted in a failed install. Next, I decided to migrate items one at a time. Migration Assistant has 4 check boxes that let you chose what to import. I migrated the items one at a time. I did this several times. Each time altering the order. The failure only occurred when I migrated "Applications".

I have no idea where or how to begin troubleshooting this. I have many applications and I know app info/settings can be stored in different places which would make it difficult to find the problem.

My conclusion is this. Whether I do an update or clean install with migration assistant, Catalina has an issue reconciling my applications.

I have decide to do a clean install and migrate everything except "Applications". I will then download and reinstall my applications. I probably need to do a little house cleaning anyway.

UPDATE:
So far so good. No issues at the moment. I have updated all of my apps and only had a few that didn't make the 64-bit cut. Hopefully these will be updated soon.

Last edited:
Also for the record. I did an update on my older Z90 system (I think that’s what it’s is).

Update went smooth. Updated Lilu Whatevergreen and audio. All is well.

may 3part Applications cause, not efi
look this
HELP!!! Kernel Panic after installing macOS Catalina

hope found solutions
If you do a clean install and then use Migration Assistant, DO NOT select "Applications". I was able to safely migrate all of my personal files and data as well as computer and network settings.

I then manually updated my applications and drivers (keyboard, printer, etc.). For most, I simply dragged them from my Mojave disk to my Catalina disk. Then double click to launch and update as needed. The whole process only took a few hours. A lot quicker than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back