Contribute
Register

Z390 and Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what happened, I ordered the card I just assumed that it would work. I then installed booted to windows installed the TB software and shut down. Plugged the TB drive in turned the system on went into bios to check setting but no TB options. Let the system boot noticed the drive that was plugged into TR was showing in clover since it was a cloned drive I choose to boot from the drive. System booted without issue from the drive plugged into the TR. I was not able to archive Hotplug with Thunderbolt device before or after the bios update but for usb 3.1 devices with C plug work great. Also note that the card only works in the PCI-E x4 slot when I plug it into the x8 it does not work. I am not 100% sure the header even needs to be plugged in, there is a post somewhere about some guy with a Mac Pro 5,1 that I think has a titan ridge working in his system. I guess when my new CPU arrives I could test the card in z370HD3 that does not even have a header and see if I at least get it to connect the drive.

So let me understand : When the card was plugged in, before the F11 BIOS update there was no Thunderbolt options in the BIOS, but you were still able to boot MacOS from an external hard drive connected to the Titan Ridge, correct?

If that is true that means the card works to some extent even without the required BIOS update, which is contrary to what Gigabyte says, that the F11 BIOS update is required for the motherboard to work with the card.

The card works in the x4 slot but not the x8 slot, just what Gigabyte says.

And the card may even work partially without connecting the Thunderbolt header? More news.

So let me understand : When the card was plugged in, before the F11 BIOS update there was no Thunderbolt options in the BIOS, but you were still able to boot MacOS from an external hard drive connected to the Titan Ridge, correct?

Yes

If that is true that means the card works to some extent even without the required BIOS update, which is contrary to what Gigabyte says, that the F11 BIOS update is required for the motherboard to work with the card.

Correct I Looked at their site after and noted that it was not technically supported and so likely why it did not show in the bios. And when a company says not support that means they will not help you, not that it will not work.

The card works in the x4 slot but not the x8 slot, just what Gigabyte says.

Right so this is old news

And the card may even work partially without connecting the Thunderbolt header? More news.

Yes If you do some looking around this site you will see that one of the ways to get hot plug to work for the people that are able to get it to work is with an SSDT and unplugging the cable. I did not have such luck as to make Hotplug work. :(

What if the Titan card will work with the Apline specs. but needs the new BIOS to work as Titan Ridge speeds? That would make sense to me if the Titan Ridge card worked (partially) when plugged in before the BIOS update.

Thanks for this information, scottkendall. It is certainly unexpected to me that these Thunderbolt add-in cards may work to some extent even without the required BIOS updates, which means they may also work on other motherboards not included in the support list, such as the X99-UD4.

What if the Titan card will work with the Apline specs. but needs the new BIOS to work as Titan Ridge speeds? That would make sense to me if the Titan Ridge card worked (partially) when plugged in before the BIOS update.

Did not know there was a speed difference between the cards, the difference is the titan ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 while the Alpine only supports 1.2. aside from that both cards do 40 Gb.

Did not know there was a speed difference between the cards, the difference is the titan ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 while the Alpine only supports 1.2. aside from that both cards do 40 Gb.
Sorry, perhaps "bandwidth" is a better term.
21.6 Gbps vs. 32.4 Gbps

Sorry, perhaps "bandwidth" is a better term.
21.6 Gbps vs. 32.4 Gbps

I think you're mistaken they are both 40 Gb/s bandwidth. 20 Gbps would be Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3. The alpine ridge and the Titan ridge are pretty much the same card. There are only two differences that I can find that affect functionality. The first is Alpine ridge is Display port 1.2 and Titan Ridge is display port 1.4; the second difference is the Alpine ridge is supported under windows 7 while the Titan ridge is only supported under windows 10. However the windows 7 driver for Alpine Ridge could likely work for the Titan Ridge.

I think you're mistaken they are both 40 Gb/s bandwidth. 20 Gbps would be Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3. The alpine ridge and the Titan ridge are pretty much the same card. There are only two differences that I can find that affect functionality. The first is Alpine ridge is Display port 1.2 and Titan Ridge is display port 1.4; the second difference is the Alpine ridge is supported under windows 7 while the Titan ridge is only supported under windows 10. However the windows 7 driver for Alpine Ridge could likely work for the Titan Ridge.

Those are the raw bandwidth numbers of DisplayPort 1.2 vs. 1.4. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12228/intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3
It also explains why the max. resolution for DisplayPort 1.2 is 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz on Alpine Ridge vs. 8K @ 60Hz on a Titan Ridge.

Those are the raw bandwidth numbers of DisplayPort 1.2 vs. 1.4. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12228/intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3
It also explains why the max. resolution for DisplayPort 1.2 is 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz on Alpine Ridge vs. 8K @ 60Hz on a Titan Ridge.

Both cards have 40Gb of bandwidth for TB3 peripherals.

You're pointing me to the information about why the card was different, I already stated the two cards were different from the Display Port perspective. Otherwise the cards are the same; In addition you are referencing bandwidth speed that affects the video (Display Port 1.2 & 1.4). Those speeds do not affect say a Hard Drive, or some kind of Music controler.

Both cards have 40Gb of bandwidth for TB3 peripherals.

You're pointing me to the information about why the card was different, I already stated the two cards were different from the Display Port perspective. Otherwise the cards are the same; In addition you are referencing bandwidth speed that affects the video (Display Port 1.2 & 1.4). Those speeds do not affect say a Hard Drive, or some kind of Music controler.

So you're saying everything I've posted is correct then? The bandwidth I posted are different for the DisplayPorts on each card. The fact that on Alpine Ridge you can only do 4K @ 60Hz and with Titan Ridge you can do 8K @ 60Hz? I don't see why you're arguing that all I've posted is correct, but I guess we can agree on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back