Contribute
Register

Z390 and i7-8700K - any successful builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 480
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

A friend of mine wants me to build him a new Hack. The only problem is that we need to stick with Gigabyte AORUS motherboards (for Thunderbolt support) and here in South Africa the Z370 boards are now few and far between. We originally chose the Gaming 7 because it offers enough M.2 slots and since he works in audio he needs like 9 drives but they seem to be end of life and the suppliers are out of stock.

Has anyone had success with the Z390 chipset yet? I know there have been a few threads discussing the chipset, but I can't seem to find any success stories yet.

I'm just worried that if we go with such a new chipset that it will be a real struggle to get all the hardware working. On-board wifi isn't a huge issue and neither is on-board audio since he uses an external audio interface via Thunderbolt (we have the Alpine Ridge card and I've got it working on Z370 successfully).

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

I tried an 8700K with a Asus Prime Z390-A and couldn't get it to boot past the dreaded "Error allocating 0x#### pages at 0x####alloc type 2". I tried every version of AptioMemoryFix I could find, nothing worked. I think one combination resulted in a different kernel error, but I never got it to boot.

[EDIT]: I should have included the fact that I was trying to boot an existing, functional install of Mojave from an Asus Prime Z370-A on the Z390-A, with Clover r4700.

Last edited:
Thanks @Robotronic. I can imagine that an existing installation wouldn't work. But that still isn't a good sign.

I think we might just have to stick with a Z370 board.

I can imagine that an existing installation wouldn't work. But that still isn't a good sign. I think we might just have to stick with a Z370 board.

Is that true? I thought macOS was pretty hardware agnostic, as long as the hardware is supported, unlike Windows where you can't install on one machine and boot it on another. I'm pretty sure once you have a working install it'll boot on any Mac or Hac, no?

Also, of course I can't find the thread now, but I'm pretty sure there was at least one other user here that has a Z390 board up and running.

Is that true? I thought macOS was pretty hardware agnostic, as long as the hardware is supported,
Apple hasn't released any Mac that has used the Z390 chipset. Therefore it is currently unsupported. Maybe that will change next Tuesday. We'll find out then.

I'm using the Asus TUF Z390 running with the i7-8700K and MSI Air Boost Vega 64. The onboard Bluetooth and WiFi don't have working yet. The Shutdown and Restart don't work either. I think Clover will be supported in the future. The graphics card works very well and have had no problems with anything else. Other then the Shutdown and Restart, I'm very happy with my build and have a very stable system.

EDIT: I got the Shutdown and Restart to work just by reinstalling the latest Clover with NVRAM.

Last edited:
Is that true? I thought macOS was pretty hardware agnostic, as long as the hardware is supported, unlike Windows where you can't install on one machine and boot it on another. I'm pretty sure once you have a working install it'll boot on any Mac or Hac, no?

Also, of course I can't find the thread now, but I'm pretty sure there was at least one other user here that has a Z390 board up and running.

I would think that if you have configured certain kexts, DSDT, SSDT, edits etc for one specific build there could be conflicts that prevent boot if you attempt to boot of another machine with different chipsets? But yeah, macOS is both hardware specific and agnostic.

On my Xi Hero, shutdown and restart doesn't work . Also using 2560x1440 resolution things looks blury like The text .

On my Xi Hero, shutdown and restart doesn't work . Also using 2560x1440 resolution things looks blury like The text .

Try disabling font smoothing in System Preferences > General.
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 6.04.51 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back