Contribute
Register

Z170X-UD5 TH, i7-6700K. Ventura install Help.

hi
for what is worth (I am not an expert)
I do use a z170 Pro Gaming with a i7-7700 since the motherboard support it out of the box without any modifications.
I enabled the Intel HD Graphics 630 and added in boot-args this entry: shikigva=80
after this the VDA Decoder is fully supported.
I believe having the right/best value for shikigva does the trick.
Now is it all perfect as a real Mac? not quite TV (app) is sill a bit templemental.

When I was using my old i7-6700, my 'iMac' was a iMac17,2

this is PCIe from my board. As you can see it is a z170 at heart
View attachment 558414
this is its current CPU.
View attachment 558415
Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
The difference between yours and mine is that you have the i7 7700 CPU and I have the 6700 with the HD 530 iGPU on board which is not supported by Ventura. However everything works, except sleep, and I solved the VDADecoder faild problem with this suggestion taken from the Dortania OC guide and now the Apple TV also works very well.
""
  • For error VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473 in Big Sur, forcing the AMD Decoder(on applicable systems) can help resolve this:
    defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -boolean yes ""

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
The difference between yours and mine is that you have the i7 7700 CPU and I have the 6700 with the HD 530 iGPU on board which is not supported by Ventura. However everything works, except sleep, and I solved the VDADecoder faild problem with this suggestion taken from the Dortania OC guide and now the Apple TV also works very well.
""
  • For error VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473 in Big Sur, forcing the AMD Decoder(on applicable systems) can help resolve this:
Hi
I might give it a go to try to force the AMD Decoder….
Now regarding sleep…
As I posted in other forums.
I do not use sleep, therefore I do not care about it!
If I do not go to use the ‘mac’ for a long period of time I just turn it off.
Sleep would only be useful as far I can see if I needed to wake it to access it ‘remotely’ at anytime while not @ home.
If not I just leave it as it is until I do not need It.
It does not take that long to boot and get ready.

Hi
I might give it a go to try to force the AMD Decoder….
Now regarding sleep…
As I posted in other forums.
I do not use sleep, therefore I do not care about it!
If I do not go to use the ‘mac’ for a long period of time I just turn it off.
Sleep would only be useful as far I can see if I needed to wake it to access it ‘remotely’ at anytime while not @ home.
If not I just leave it as it is until I do not need It.
It does not take that long to boot and get ready.
Hello,
I fully agree with you. I do this with my pc too and I don't care if sleep doesn't work.
As long as everything else works perfectly.
Have a nice weekend.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
""
How did you managed to run Ventura with iGPU HD530?

How did you managed to run Ventura with iGPU HD530?
Kindly read my post n 19 of this thread where you can also find my EFI.
I set my smbios to 18.2 (which is relative to a Kaby Lake cpu while our system is Sky Lake) but also having a Rx580 dGPU on board.
I don't know if without this the system works the same.
Try and fit my EFI above for you.

Kindly read my post n 19 of this thread where you can also find my EFI.
I set my smbios to 18.2 (which is relative to a Kaby Lake cpu while our system is Sky Lake) but also having a Rx580 dGPU on board.
I don't know if without this the system works the same.
Try and fit my EFI above for you.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.

I run a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH and a 6600K and im running ventura with no real issues all updated at present sleep all ok, my symbios is iMac 18,3 hope you guys have sorted yours can supply my efi if it helps regards guys.

I run a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH and a 6600K and im running ventura with no real issues all updated at present sleep all ok, my symbios is iMac 18,3 hope you guys have sorted yours can supply my efi if it helps regards guys.
can you please post your EFI? I want to compare it to mine.

hope it helps

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    78 MB · Views: 155
hope it helps
Thank you for your prompt reply and for your availability.
I didn't answer earlier because I got caught by the covid, unfortunately.
Now it's better.
I modified my EFI to match yours and it works but on suspend the system won't restart until booting again.
I saw that you have several parameters that are not aligned with what the Dortania guide prescribes: is it your conscious choice?
Finally, I advise you to always delete your personal data from Platforminfo.

Back