Contribute
Register

Z170X-UD5 TH High Sierra tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, you did mention that you studied the bios patching guide, but to show you just how easy it actually is: You put the grub shell (the file is named bootx64.efi) in the EFI partition of a USB key (/efi/boot/). You then boot from that USB key in the bios.
In the case of our motherboard:

Bios F5 you'd type:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x493 0x00
<enter>

Bios F22g:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x4ef 0x00
<enter>

then just restart your machine and your CFG Lock is disabled :)

Fantastic. Thanks. I've been reading so many posts over the past few days that I realise now that I was probably overthinking it.

Assuming BIOS F22g, I have seen reference to:
Code:
setup_var 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>
and:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>
Thanks for the hint to use setup_var_3. I wasn't sure and didn't want to try them both!

Last edited:
Fantastic. Thanks. I've been reading so many posts over the past few days that I realise now that I was probably overthinking it.

Code:
setup_var 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>
and:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>
Thanks for the hint to use setup_var_3. I wasn't sure and didn't want to try them both!

setup_var is the ‘normal’ way to do it, but sometimes gives an error. Someone modified the grub shell to recognize this error and work around it with a modified command (setup_var_3)

Code:
setup_var 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>
and:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x4EF 0x00
<enter>

And for the sake of being thorough, here's the link to the modified grub shell:

If I write a guide to detail the process to to take a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH from F5 to F22g (with patch), install windows to update thunderbolt 3 drivers/HDMI 2.0, and install (dual boot) Mojave 10.14.6 would

1) That be worth the effort?
2) If so, should I include that guide as a post in this GA-Z170X-UD5 TH thread or make a new "User Build" thread?

All that said, I am hesitant to write a guide because even though I have been on various Hackintosh's since 2011, I really don't know what the hell I'm doing at the end of the day and I just somehow figure out how to make the thing work as my daily machine.

Thoughts?

If I write a guide to detail the process to to take a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH from F5 to F22g (with patch), install windows to update thunderbolt 3 drivers/HDMI 2.0, and install (dual boot) Mojave 10.14.6 would

1) That be worth the effort?
2) If so, should I include that guide as a post in this GA-Z170X-UD5 TH thread or make a new "User Build" thread?

All that said, I am hesitant to write a guide because even though I have been on various Hackintosh's since 2011, I really don't know what the hell I'm doing at the end of the day and I just somehow figure out how to make the thing work as my daily machine.

Thoughts?

if you have the time and want to do it, I’d say every little bit helps when others are searching for info. When you say update thunderbolt, you mean the gigabyte updater that runs in windows, correct?

(The hot plug SSDTs we’ve been working on in @CaseySJ ‘s thread are still experimental and cause problems of their own :) )

When you say update thunderbolt, you mean the gigabyte updater that runs in windows, correct?
Yes, just the gigabyte updater that runs in windows. I think I'd be happy with Thunderbolt 3 that works when plugged in at bootup. Hot swap would be great, but not critical for me.

is there a follow up board to this one? very similar, but better and newer?:geek:

is there a follow up board to this one? very similar, but better and newer?:geek:

I suppose there is. I used Designare (Gigabyte Z390 Designare) to build another a newer Hackintosh. Please note that built in WiFi of Gigabyte boards does not work on macOS.

yes, most people who liked this board have moved do the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D or Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, myself included. Check this post out:

I did the very same move. Upgraded smoothly. Did a clean install on mac side, windows plugged in and worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back