Contribute
Register

Z170X-UD5 TH High Sierra tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have connection issue on my Dell Monitor P4317Q 4K connected directly via USB 3.1 Type-C™ to DP on Dell Monitor P4317Q

Issue: the connection drops after a few hours, sometimes after 5-7 hours (black screen monitor) however the system still works, but only helps to restart the computer.

I use latest Clover with SMBIOS: 17.1
Could someone advise me what I can to do?

Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Intel HD Graphics 630:
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
DELL P4317Q:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

I have connection issue on my Dell Monitor P4317Q 4K connected directly via USB 3.1 Type-C™ to DP on Dell Monitor P4317Q

Issue: the connection drops after a few hours, sometimes after 5-7 hours (black screen monitor) however the system still works, but only helps to restart the computer.

I use latest Clover with SMBIOS: 17.1
Could someone advise me what I can to do?

Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Intel HD Graphics 630:
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
DELL P4317Q:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Can you try HDMI and see if the issue persists?

with HDMI is other story it's work without any issue.
Maybe I don’t know something and there are some extra "Clover" settings a special for using USB 3.1 Type-C™ to DP?
What else can I try?

with HDMI is other story it's work without any issue.
Maybe I don’t know something and there are some extra "Clover" settings a special for using USB 3.1 Type-C™ to DP?
What else can I try?
The alpine ridge thunderbolt and usb-c controller on this board doesn’t work exactly the same way it does on Mac (at least not without flashing the DROM with modified firmware, which runs the risk of bricking your motherboard) so I’m inclined to suggest sticking with the HDMI (or better yet, get a GPU like an RX580)

I noticed that when I turn off the monitor or simply pull out the DP cable the signal get lost and reboot is require:(

First off, thanks to everyone on this forum and especially iLikeHackintosh for all the MB specific info. I have studied this thread, TonyMacx86's build and iLikeHackintosh's guide How to change hidden CFG Lock setting.

Here is my dilemma -- I have a rock solid system, but I need to upgrade from Sierra (for one, I couldn't load ffmpeg recently).

My build:
OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
GA-170X-UD5 TH (F5)
64GB RAM
i7-6700K
EVGA GeForce GTX-950
System definition iMac 14,2

I understand that I'll need to ditch the NVIDIA card and if I go with another video card, it'll probably be a MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC Graphics Card, but initially I'll use integrated graphics (HD530).

So, here are my questions:
1) Any recommendation for upgrade? Would you recommend going straight to Catalina or stopping short at Mojave? My plan is a clean install, then using Migration Assistant to recover my apps and settings (I have a cloned version Sierra via CCC and have a NAS Time Machine backup).

2) Do I need to update the BIOS to F22g? If so, can I upgrade without patching the BIOS? My understanding is that Kernal PM in Clover should work without patching the BIOS, but if I get kernal panics after the upgrade, how can I enable Kernal PM?

Any advice or words of wisdom is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
2-first, you could do this update your bios BIOS Version: F22g modifie (F22i)
refer to

you need to add in ACPI/patched
  • SSDT-TbtOnPCH-GA-Z170-UD5TH.aml
  • SSDT.DTPG.aml
you need also ahave this modification in your config.plist

1-the SSD will be a new you, make the usb key for mojave to gett support of all application. Catalina will let only application in 64 bit. During install, afps is to do. after, you could easy use migration or transfert as you wish

Last edited:
2-first, you could do this update your bios BIOS Version: F22g
refer to

you need to add in ACPI/patched
  • SSDT-TbtOnPCH-GA-Z170-UD5TH.aml
  • SSDT.DTPG.aml
you need also ahave this modification in your config.plist

1-the SSD will be a new you, make the usb key for mojave to gett support of all application. Catalina will let only application in 64 bit. During install, afps is to do. after, you could easy use migration or transfert as you wish

Interesting...I hadn't seen those posts buried in the Z390 thread. Thanks!

Any other words of wisdom out there?

I would say give the bios patch a shot. It's not actually 'patching' but changing a setting that is available to the system, but hidden from the BIOS GUI. It's an important setting because it allows for completely native power management.

BIOS F22g is rock solid, and compared to F5 fixes a couple of things like a hypertreading bug and core voltage values. It also significantly changes the bios GUI.

The SSDTs mentioned above have been improved since the post was published, but are still experimental and only necessary if you're wanting to experiment with Thunderbolt hotplugging (current status is: hotplug works, but devices cannot be plugged in at startup or shutdown).

Also, you did mention that you studied the bios patching guide, but to show you just how easy it actually is: You put the grub shell (the file is named bootx64.efi) in the EFI partition of a USB key (/efi/boot/). You then boot from that USB key in the bios.
In the case of our motherboard:

Bios F5 you'd type:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x493 0x00
<enter>

Bios F22g:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x4ef 0x00
<enter>

then just restart your machine and your CFG Lock is disabled :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back