Contribute
Register

Z170x Gaming 5 fails to boot after changing 6700k for a mutant Coffee Lake 8c (qtj1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using Clover
It was working fine until I updated my BIOS to receive the mutant i9 mobile processor (qtj1).
Boots ok in Safe Mode but I don’t remember how to check any logs.
Normal boot gives me a KP.
I was able to take a picture of the KP screen.

Any tips about how can I debug and fix it? Should be something simple.

*ps* I’m leaving opencore to another day…

Attachments

• A28058DF-F039-4D93-8F6B-3995DA23AD75.jpeg
    A28058DF-F039-4D93-8F6B-3995DA23AD75.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Using Clover
It was working fine until I updated my BIOS to receive the mutant i9 mobile processor (qtj1).
Boots ok in Safe Mode but I don’t remember how to check any logs.
Normal boot gives me a KP.
I was able to take a picture of the KP screen.

Any tips about how can I debug and fix it? Should be something simple.

*ps* I’m leaving opencore to another day…
your KP has scrolled off the page to be able to see it

make sure your bios settings are also correct

Clear NVRAM after a hardware change, also check that your 'mutant i9 mobile processor' is supported in High Sierra.

Clear NVRAM after a hardware change, also check that your 'mutant i9 mobile processor' is supported in High Sierra.
Nvram are not those “fixed files”? I remember using something like that when I first configured it (I’m stuck at HS due to my 1080).

My processor is “equivalent” to a 9900k. With slower memory (2800mhz). I managed to squeeze 5ghz turbo on 2 cores and up to 4.6 on all 8.

Nvram are not those “fixed files”? I remember using something like that when I first configured it (I’m stuck at HS due to my 1080).

My processor is “equivalent” to a 9900k. With slower memory (2800mhz). I managed to squeeze 5ghz turbo on 2 cores and up to 4.6 on all 8.

Hi there.

Your QTJ1 "hybrid" CPU may work with a Skylake board because it is a modified laptop CPU in a socket-adapter (as I understand it) but that doesn't mean it will play nicely with macOS which is much more stringent in its hardware requirements. For example High Sierra on a a Skylake system will not have the hardware or kernel code to take advantage of the 10th gen instruction set, nor the address topology. Probably why you are getting Kernel Panics.

Clearing NVRAM is used to remove any non-transient settings the OS needs to boot properly. macOS as it boots needs a form of NVRAM that a Hackintosh boot-loader translates for a PC BIOS.

And obviously you need to check the modified BIOS you are using for the macOS compatible settings.

In OpenCore you can also tell the system to "see" a certain type of CPU which helps compatibility. For example I run High Sierra on a Comet Lake CPU by telling OpenCore to emulate a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake model.

Do that with Clover to get past your problem. :thumbup:

Hi there.

Your QTJ1 "hybrid" CPU may work with a Skylake board because it is a modified laptop CPU in a socket-adapter (as I understand it) but that doesn't mean it will play nicely with macOS which is much more stringent in its hardware requirements. For example High Sierra on a a Skylake system will not have the hardware or kernel code to take advantage of the 10th gen instruction set, nor the address topology. Probably why you are getting Kernel Panics.

Clearing NVRAM is used to remove any non-transient settings the OS needs to boot properly. macOS as it boots needs a form of NVRAM that a Hackintosh boot-loader translates for a PC BIOS.

And obviously you need to check the modified BIOS you are using for the macOS compatible settings.

In OpenCore you can also tell the system to "see" a certain type of CPU which helps compatibility. For example I run High Sierra on a Comet Lake CPU by telling OpenCore to emulate a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake model.

Do that with Clover to get past your problem. :thumbup:
Thank you for the response.
I did tried to clean NVRAM by pressing F11 on Clover + trying to use sudo nvram -c while on safe mode.
same error, same "incomplete" KP screen.

I assume that, with CLOVER I need to edit my DSDT configuration, correct?

I assume that, with CLOVER I need to edit my DSDT configuration, correct?

There is a setting in the Clover config.plist where you can specify a CPU spoof:

Code:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FakeCPUID</key>
        <string>0x0906E9</string>
    </dict>

That example is a Kaby Lake, however this is SkyLake:

Code:
    <dict>
        <key>FakeCPUID</key>
        <string>0x0506E3</string>
    </dict>

Which, if any, spoof will help is down to experimentation.

:)

There is a setting in the Clover config.plist where you can specify a CPU spoof:

Code:
    <dict>
        <key>FakeCPUID</key>
        <string>0x0906E9</string>
    </dict>

That example is a Kaby Lake, however this is SkyLake:

Code:
    <dict>
        <key>FakeCPUID</key>
        <string>0x0506E3</string>
    </dict>

Which, if any, spoof will help is down to experimentation.

:)
Thank you. Will try that @ night.
*PS* I recorded a 60fps video of the KP and, looks like it’s CPU sensors related…

Attachments

• 0133DFC2-56EB-4826-8AF5-41148A42EE5A.jpeg
    0133DFC2-56EB-4826-8AF5-41148A42EE5A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Thank you. Will try that @ night.
*PS* I recorded a 60fps video of the KP and, looks like it’s CPU sensors related…
this is what a kernel panic looks like:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back