i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Whats up guys,

First of all I have an Asus "Z"370-I Gaming WiFi and not the "H" version found in the buyers guide for the CustoMac Mini

Will this be a problem?

New to all this and not too far from gathering all the parts to get this project started (fingers crossed). In addition to the motherboard I'm currently running:

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C14 XMP 2.0
GPU: iGPU :( (decision pending, want nvidia even though amd is officially supported)
Wifi: BCM94360CS2 + m.2 adaptor (not going to install yet till i get the green light from you beautiful people)
Storage: Corsair 240 GB Force MP500 M.2 NVMe SSD (have a WD blue 1tb m.2 ssd in the "save for later" basket)
PSU: Silverstone Strider SFX-L 700W
Case: Fractal Define Nano S

Secondly, I have Win10 Pro OEM installed and hoping to have dual boot capabilities. After reading through the multi booting guide its from a macOS installation first perspective. Will i still be able to achieve the multi boot on the drive with Win10 already installed? Aim is to have the macOS and Win10 on the same drive an have the WD for storage.

Lastly, (sorry guys noob) If i go through with the macOS HS install with no GPU (if i can even get that far) will it be a straight forward process to adding one in later down the line or should i wait till i have all the parts?

MANY thanks in advanced, again massive noob so apologies if these kind of questions have caused :banghead:

Cheers

Whats up guys,

First of all I have an Asus "Z"370-I Gaming WiFi and not the "H" version found in the buyers guide for the CustoMac Mini

Will this be a problem?

New to all this and not too far from gathering all the parts to get this project started (fingers crossed). In addition to the motherboard I'm currently running:

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C14 XMP 2.0
GPU: iGPU :( (decision pending, want nvidia even though amd is officially supported)
Wifi: BCM94360CS2 + m.2 adaptor (not going to install yet till i get the green light from you beautiful people)
Storage: Corsair 240 GB Force MP500 M.2 NVMe SSD (have a WD blue 1tb m.2 ssd in the "save for later" basket)
PSU: Silverstone Strider SFX-L 700W
Case: Fractal Define Nano S

Secondly, I have Win10 Pro OEM installed and hoping to have dual boot capabilities. After reading through the multi booting guide its from a macOS installation first perspective. Will i still be able to achieve the multi boot on the drive with Win10 already installed? Aim is to have the macOS and Win10 on the same drive an have the WD for storage.

Lastly, (sorry guys noob) If i go through with the macOS HS install with no GPU (if i can even get that far) will it be a straight forward process to adding one in later down the line or should i wait till i have all the parts?

MANY thanks in advanced, again massive noob so apologies if these kind of questions have caused :banghead:

Cheers

(1) Using a Z370 motherboard should not be a problem as it is known to be natively supported in High Sierra.

(2) Mac and Windows on same drive? The general recommendation here is to install them on different drives as it is easier to do and easier to manage. I strongly recommend you get another drive to install MacOS on. If you insist on installing MacOS on the same drive as Windows you should search around to see if there are successful cases.

(3) Depends on what graphics card you want to add in the future. If you are adding a natively supported card like the current AMD RX 560 / 570 / 580 or an older Nvidia card such as the GTX 760 I am using, it should be a simple matter of putting it in and then configure the BIOS to set it as the default. If you want to add a current Nvidia card you will have to install the web drivers for it to work and I have no idea if it will be "straightforward". In fact I purposely avoid these cards for the reason they are not natively supported.

(1) Using a Z370 motherboard should not be a problem as it is known to be natively supported in High Sierra.

(2) Mac and Windows on same drive? The general recommendation here is to install them on different drives as it is easier to do and easier to manage. I strongly recommend you get another drive to install MacOS on. If you insist on installing MacOS on the same drive as Windows you should search around to see if there are successful cases.

(3) Depends on what graphics card you want to add in the future. If you are adding a natively supported card like the current AMD RX 560 / 570 / 580 or an older Nvidia card such as the GTX 760 I am using, it should be a simple matter of putting it in and then configure the BIOS to set it as the default. If you want to add a current Nvidia card you will have to install the web drivers for it to work and I have no idea if it will be "straightforward". In fact I purposely avoid these cards for the reason they are not natively supported.

Appreciate the feedback agent :thumbup:

(1) Great news! (wish me luck)

(2) When you say easier to manage what potential problems may occur? Is there a chance the drive could brick?

(3) See the thing is being a MBP user (mid 2012 and early 2015) my use cases have changed this year. The current RX5xx series are not cutting it and with the price of Vega its more value and benefit to work with nvidia. Ill figure it out

thanks again!

Appreciate the feedback agent :thumbup:

(1) Great news! (wish me luck)

(2) When you say easier to manage what potential problems may occur? Is there a chance the drive could brick?

(3) See the thing is being a MBP user (mid 2012 and early 2015) my use cases have changed this year. The current RX5xx series are not cutting it and with the price of Vega its more value and benefit to work with nvidia. Ill figure it out

thanks again!

(2) The drives are electronic and/or mechanical devices and there is always the chance of breaking down. If you install both systems on the same drive, and if you are so unfortunate to suffer a drive breakdown, then you will lose both systems. If you install in separate drives then the breakdown of one drive will just mean the loss of the system installed on it and not the other.

Besides , Windows updates released by Microsoft may make changes to the drive partitions behind your back during installation (I know this because I do tests with Windows 10 in virtual machines and see this first hand.), and if you have both systems on the same drive the installation may make undesirable changes to the drive and may damage the Mac system. I would even go so far to say that Microsoft does not want you installing another OS other than Windows on your system. Installing Windows and MacOS on separate drives may help to reduce the possibility of such problems.

(2) The drives are electronic and/or mechanical devices and there is always the chance of breaking down. If you install both systems on the same drive, and if you are so unfortunate to suffer a drive breakdown, then you will lose both systems. If you install in separate drives then the breakdown of one drive will just mean the loss of the system installed on it and not the other.

Besides , Windows updates released by Microsoft may make changes to the drive partitions behind your back during installation (I know this because I do tests with Windows 10 in virtual machines and see this first hand.), and if you have both systems on the same drive the installation may make undesirable changes to the drive and may damage the Mac system. I would even go so far to say that Microsoft does not want you installing another OS other than Windows on your system. Installing Windows and MacOS on separate drives may help to reduce the possibility of such problems.
Thanks a ton, really appreciate this kind of help agent! Guess my wish to have the two m.2 nvme system has been compromised for a good reason.

How does having two m.2 nvme's with dedicated OS's and a sata ssd as a shared storage drive sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back