Contribute
Register

Your First Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1st computer was a S-100 buss Imsai 8080. I bought the case and started to wire wrap the CPU board, not knowing what I was getting into. After spending a gazillion hours trying to wire wrap, I sold to a neighbor who was a Electrical Engineer. I also gave him my box of wire wrapping tools. I vowed never again to get involved in a electronic kit. Building radio controlled model airplanes was more fun and rewarding.
imsai_8080_1.jpg

A couple of years later, it was time to quit avoiding getting a Masters degree, so I entered a MBA program, part time at night, at the local university. I discovered the computer lab with Apple IIs which the business students used to create spreadsheets with Visi-Cal. Rather than spend after work time at the university computer lab, I wanted to be at home with my family, so I bought an Apple IIc and AppleWorks. As an engineer, I had fun with the business students and managed to model a business using spreadsheet in AppleWorks. I had 7 spreadsheets linked together to model the business. And the rest is history...well, for me and Apple computers.
apple-1-2-steves.jpg

The Apple IIc ran ProDos, and I got good enough using it that I was recruited by the president of the Dayton (OH) Apple Users Group to write a column in the group's monthly magazine, entitled, "The IIs with ProDos."

So, thanks, Tony, for starting this thread. Brings back many memories.

My very first computer was an IMSAI...and I got it working and had so much fun with it...alot of fun.

169305913_89ad027265_z.jpg

Texas Instrument TI 994A
My dad had done an advertising campaign for Speak & Spell at the time E.T. was in theatre (remember he use a Speak & Spell to communicate with his fellows E.T. friends) so Texas Instrument gave him this computer. Spent ages on Space Invaders, and programming silly moving colors on screen (that I had to save on a regular tape player).

[edit] I had to add the specs ! And happy to sse two other members having the same memory ;)
CPU: TI TMS9900, 3MHz
Memory: 16K RAM, 26K ROM
Display: Video via an RF modulator
32 characters by 24 lines text
192 X 256, 16 color graphics
Ports: ROM cartridge (on front)
Data storage cassette
Audio/Video output
Joystick input
CPU bus expansion

After that, it's on my signature :)

Commodore 64, my first.

It was a computer assembled with a friend of mine which knew about computers. At the time I was more interested in hardware specs and building rigs than software performances and features.

As far as I remember the components were the following:

MB: ?
CPU: Intel Pentium 233 MMX
GPU: S3 ViRGE 4MB
HDD: 4GB (brand=?)
RAM: 64MB (brand=?)
Audio: Creative SoundBlaster AWE64
Network: some 10/100mbps LAN card (brand=?)
Monitor: Some cheap 15'' CRT screen
Modem: 33.6K

Macintosh IIcx, motherboard dead and changed by ci, one apple laserwritter IINTX and apple scans. I´d spend so much money in this computer, print and scanner. After working pc.
And now no more mac, only mackintosh which usb efix and now finally tonymacx86, great solution
Best regards team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back