Motherboard
GA-Z170X Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi. I'm new to this, been doing a lot of research and was wondering if I'd be able to do a Yosmite build using the following

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/january/2017#CustoMac_Pro

I'd also like to be able to upgrade to sierra at a later time. These pieces being compatible with Yosemite is important because I can't be in a situation where my audio and video applications don't work. I normally don't understand OS until I know all of my apps are stable and so far... Yosemite does well

IIRC you can install 10.11.5 on Sky Lake hardware but no earlier. Best to use Z97 Haswell/Broadwell hardware if staying with Yosemite.

IIRC you can install 10.11.5 on Sky Lake hardware but no earlier. Best to use Z97 Haswell/Broadwell hardware if staying with Yosemite.

I'm not sure what that means. Does this mean I can only use a specific mobo and processor?

Also, would the 2017 setup.I listed work for El Captain?

I'm not sure what that means. Does this mean I can only use a specific mobo and processor?

Also, would the 2017 setup.I listed work for El Captain?
Each time a new PCH (Z77, Z87, Z97, Z170, Z270) and new CPU (Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Sky Lake, Kaby Lake) comes out there is a lag before Apple supports the hardware, usually in the next version of OS X.
So, 10.6 SL will not run on Z77 because Apple came out with 10.7 Lion for Z77 and no longer updated SL
Z87 came along and Apple did not support it until Mountain Lion 10.8.5. When Mavericks 10.9 came out, Apple quit updating ML so it will not run on later hardware. This iteration goes up the newer versions of the OS and hardware, so now you are at the point that only Sierra supports Z170/Z270 PCH and Sky Lake/Kaby Lake CPUs. No earlier versions OS X will run on this hardware because Apple ceased to upgrade the Prior versions of OS X for the new hardware.

2017 recommended hardware will only run Sierra.

Each time a new PCH (Z77, Z87, Z97, Z170, Z270) and new CPU (Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Sky Lake, Kaby Lake) comes out there is a lag before Apple supports the hardware, usually in the next version of OS X.
So, 10.6 SL will not run on Z77 because Apple came out with 10.7 Lion for Z77 and no longer updated SL
Z87 came along and Apple did not support it until Mountain Lion 10.8.5. When Mavericks 10.9 came out, Apple quit updating ML so it will not run on later hardware. This iteration goes up the newer versions of the OS and hardware, so now you are at the point that only Sierra supports Z170/Z270 PCH and Sky Lake/Kaby Lake CPUs. No earlier versions OS X will run on this hardware because Apple ceased to upgrade the Prior versions of OS X for the new hardware.

2017 recommended hardware will only run Sierra.

Ah this makes sense. So would a El Cap hardware config be able to handle sierra?

Which comparable (to the 2017 build) setups would you suggest if I chose to go el cap and or yosemite?

Looking to have maxed out ram

Ah this makes sense. So would a El Cap hardware config be able to handle sierra?

Which comparable (to the 2017 build) setups would you suggest if I chose to go el cap and or yosemite?

Looking to have maxed out ram
With a 2017 hardware build you will have to go with 10.11.5 minimum, better would be 10.12.
All of the 10.x versions are backwards compatible with the older hardware - i.e. Sierra will run on Snow Leopard build 2009 hardware - with the right SysDef.

With a 2017 hardware build you will have to go with 10.11.5 minimum, better would be 10.12.
All of the 10.x versions are backwards compatible with the older hardware - i.e. Sierra will run on Snow Leopard build 2009 hardware - with the right SysDef.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Are you're any Yosemite builds you'd suggest that are comparable to the 2017 build in terms of speed?

Ah ok, that makes sense. Are you're any Yosemite builds you'd suggest that are comparable to the 2017 build in terms of speed?
Look up the benchmark testing of the top level Broadwell or Haswell CPU and compare to Sky Lake/Kaby Lake benchmark testing.

Look up the benchmark testing of the top level Broadwell or Haswell CPU and compare to Sky Lake/Kaby Lake benchmark testing.

Got it. Last couple of questions before start placing my order. If I go with the z97 hardware will I run into issues if I use the ram and video card recommended in the 2017 build linked above?

I figure I might as well future proof it to done degree.

Also, how difficult is it dual boot Windows on these hackintoshes? Have you run into any issues?

Got it. Last couple of questions before start placing my order. If I go with the z97 hardware will I run into issues if I use the ram and video card recommended in the 2017 build linked above?

I figure I might as well future proof it to done degree.

Also, how difficult is it dual boot Windows on these hackintoshes? Have you run into any issues?
DDR4 RAM for a Z170 board will not work with Z97 boards requiring DDR3. Video card is independent - just needs drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back