Contribute
Register

Yosemite/Win7 Hackintosh suddenly won't boot MacOSX or show Win7 as a boot option - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I've been running a stable multi-boot build for a couple of years with basically no problems, and then on the early evening of New Years eve it suddenly started refusing to boot the way it has reliably been doing, for no apparent reason. Seriously, I've done nothing, no changes to startup sequence, nothing.

The normal boot up sequence is that after the UEFI splash screen, it shows the multi boot menu; a choice of Mac OSX (Yosemite) or Windows 7, defaulting to OSX if no input is detected.
What happens now is that when the boot menu appears it doesn't show the Windows 7 drive, and if you select OSX (it currently shows a choice between MaxOSX and the Data Drive, a drive with no boot sector that I had previously successfully hidden from the boot menu), it gets as far as showing the white apple logo screen for a split second before the computer restarts and loops the process ad infinitum.

I'm able to boot to Windows 7 only through the UEFI menu accessed through pressing F11 on the UEFI splash screen to access the boot menu. I can access the Mac drive through windows without issue, I just can't boot from it.

I'll reiterate; I've had basically no problems with this build since its inception.

Basic machine info:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard: MSI Z95 Gaming 5
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770
16 GBS of RAM

I've been trying to capture a screenshot of the verbose boot but it is so very brief I don't think I'll be able to.
I will provide any further details if requested.. Please help :(

Last edited:
Hi, I had similar problem, but my boot just stopped working out of nowhere and my pc didn't even recognize my ssd as bootable drive. What I found was a new /Microsoft folder on my EFI partition. Seems like Widows decided to install it's own bootloader after recent update. I created boot USB stick with clover using multibeast from my macbook and I was able to load OSX on hackintosh, but windows stopped booting. So then I copied that /Microsoft folder from my SSD and it now boots both OSX and Win10, I just have to select "Load Windows boot menu" in clover, not the direct disk load options, so if you were hiding entries in clover it may have hidden this new entry too.
Hope this helps.

Thankyou very much for replying to my post. What you suggested didn't work, but I appreciate your contribution.

I've had to bite the bullet and reinstall Snow Leopard on the SSD and start the process all over again. I've unplugged both the other internal drives for now until this is all sorted.
Unfortunatly the process has stalled at the point where I'm trying to upgrade back to Yosemite. Nothing seems to work at the point where I'm supposed to reboot using a Unibeast USB stick; it just won't happen. I'm stuck in Snow Leopard, trying my best to see where it's all going wrong. I've tried a few variations; different versions of Unibeast (5 & 6) different options in it.. closest I got was where the Unibeast actually loaded up the boot option screen without the iBoot CD, but whenever I selected the Unibeast drive to boot from all I got was "can't find mach_kernel". I keep trying solutions to that I can find but none seem to work.
I also still can't boot at all without the iBoot CD. Fiddling with Multibeast hasn't helped at all there.

For some reason this refuses to be by-the-book. I've followed the steps in the guides but I keep getting stopped at the point where I'm supposed to boot up using the Unibeast stick. So very frustrating. All my music software is Mac based and I won't be able to use any of it if I can't get this working again. Everything seemed just fine for ages and then just suddenly all this for no particular reason..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back