Contribute
Register

Yosemite/Win10, both UEFI, separate SSDs, work separately, can't boot Win10 from Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-UD5H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
GTX 970
I see a bunch of people posting on this issue, but nobody seems to be in the exact scenario I'm in, and I haven't found a solution... :crazy:

I have a 95% functional Yosemite 10.10.05 install, and a completely functional Windows 10, on entirely separate, UEFI SSDs, using Clover from the ground up. If I disconnect by OS X drive, I can boot into Windows just fine. I've hidden Legacy drives from the Clover bootmenu, and my OS X SSD is the first in the BIOS boot order.

If I attempt to boot from "Boot to Windows EFI" from the Clover menus, I get that handy blinking cursor in the top left, but nothing else. Thanks for the feedback, computer! This seems to be a common problem, but none of the solutions others have had success with work for me.

If I try to boot from "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from Microsoft EFI" I get a black screen. No sign of failures otherwise, except, you know, I can't see anything. It's like my graphics get lazy and just don't feel like rendering or something.

I can also boot into the "recovery partition" section of W10 to repair the install, but it still does the same thing after it "repairs", and I'm stuck back to the above scenarios.

I'm certain that both drives are in UEFI and not Legacy though (unplugged OS X and booted into Windows, ran msinfo32 to confirm) so I'm not sure what the big deal is with my install. It looks like a bunch of people can magically just boot into both when they're UEFI.

Here are the install steps I took to get to this point, over the past... very long time:

1) Installed W7 first
2) Installed OS X via USB and booted from that for awhile
3) Later, installed W10 without any hiccups, then after that got boring, decided I was sick of booting from a USB
4) Moved Clover to the SSD.

That's when W10 stopped booting, for obvious reasons since Clover was now the bootloader.

From what I'm reading, there are solutions I have yet to try, but they involve setting up Clover on a bootable USB and reinstalling Windows. Here are common steps I've seen that seem to work for most people, but I really would like to avoid reinstalling Windows... I will if this is the last option, however...

1. In UEFI BIOS (Sata Ports section) disable the OSX SSD then Save & Exit
  2. Insert Windows 10 USB media or CD/DVD media
  3. In the UEFI BIOS Boot Override section, make sure to select your boot media as e.g,UEFI: flash drive name
  4. Install Windows 10 (this will install in UEFI mode)
  5. Ensure Windows 10 boots from SSD without the install media
  6. Boot back into UEFI BIOS and enable the OSX SSD
  7. In UEFI BIOS, Set OSX SSD as First in the Boot Priority Order
  8. Set the Windows 10 SSD as 2nd in the Boot Order then Save & Exit
  9. Boot into Clover

Any advice? Thanks!
:beachball:

Any advice? Thanks!
:beachball:

Try setting Secure boot to Windows UEFI instead of other OS and disable CSM. Since you are booting strictly UEFI, you do not have to worry about Legact compatibility support.
Windows icon you want to select should be called "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI"

I did as you suggested, and got a visual change, but still won't boot :roll2:

I went into the BIOS, and changed from Other OS to Windows 8 (not Windows 8 WQHL), then disabled CSM, then booted to the correct Windows drive.

Now, it loads Clover in full-res which is neat (smaller icons), but still leaves me at a black screen.

Any other tips you can think of? Thank you for the support!

I did as you suggested, and got a visual change, but still won't boot :roll2:

I went into the BIOS, and changed from Other OS to Windows 8 (not Windows 8 WQHL), then disabled CSM, then booted to the correct Windows drive.

Now, it loads Clover in full-res which is neat (smaller icons), but still leaves me at a black screen.

Any other tips you can think of? Thank you for the support!

Doublecheck your Windows install - UEFI or Legacy mode installed?

Confirmed UEFI via msconfig after booting into Windows with OSX SSD detached from Mobo.

Make use Clover NTSF driver is installed using Clover configurator. See if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back