RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Yosemite upgrade from Mountain lion. Problem with transfering old data back

Sorry guys.
Sadly nothing really original here.
I have Asus P67 sabertooth with AMD 6870
Running Mountain Lion pretty nicely.

Want to upgrade to Yosemite but seems to be hitting a brick wall.
First I tried to copy existing system and follow usual path of upgrade (Got into very typical stuck on half of loaded progress bar.)
Then I tried it on the empty drive.
Works nicely. Did multibeast - still fine.
Then I tried to run user migration tool to get data from other drive with mountain lion.
Process go well. After reboot - I am again stuck at half of the progress bar :(
Would appreciate advise :)

Hello everyone. I am trying to upgrade from 10.8.6 to Yosemite and am running into problems too, hopefully someone can shed some light with their insights here.

What I did so far.

I basically started following the Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast even though I'm on Mountain Lion. I removed :

107204d1413557695-guide-update-os-x-mavericks-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast-screen-shot-2014-10-17-10.54.34-am.png

from org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Then I downloaded Yosemite and put it on a usb with UniBeast. (USB used is 500gb so I made a 10gb partition for UniBeast.) Then I tried to boot from the USB and got the "can't find Mach Kernel" error. I tried using various combination bootflags with no success (-v, -x, -f).

Most worrying is that now I can't even boot into Mountain Lion. I just get the Grey Apple screen on one monitor and then it loses signal (but power is still going) so I hard reset and try again. I tried booting with -x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes; and it worked *once*. Now, I'm stuck trying to just boot Mountain Lion before I figure out how to install Yosemite.

..I suspect that removing the <key> and <string> line in org.chameleon.Boot.plist is causing the booting problems.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I created a boot usb drive without ever deleting any files that were suggested and yet I also get the "can't find Mach Kernel" error.

Even when it tries to boot it will freeze shortly and there's just a black screen. Adding various boot options doesn't help at all.

Looks like it's another of those just can't get there from here deals.

GREAT SUCCESS!

After spending the better part of yesterday trying to make this work I have managed to upgrade to Yosemite from my aging Mountain Lion.

This is how I did it:

• On my hackintosh, I edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist and removed the following 2 lines:

107204d1413557695-guide-update-os-x-mavericks-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast-screen-shot-2014-10-17-10.54.34-am.png

• I downloaded Yosemite & created a bootable USB with UniBeast.
• I booted from USB and installed Yosemite on my OSX drive. The only way I could make this step work was by pressing F12 and booting the USB from there. Booting from the Chimera screenwould bring up the 'can't find mach kernel'. (Note: At this point, I couldn't even boot my ML OSX, I suppose due to removing the 2 aforementioned lines?)
• After installation completed, an automatic restart is due. Pressing F12 allowed me to boot from the USB and I selected the OSX hard drive. I got a few random freezes here (progress bar loading until at about 45% and stopping) and repeated the installation a couple of times until I got it right. To bypass the freeze I typed -x -v.
• I entered Yosemite. I ran Multibeast. I restarted the hackintosh and removed the USB.
• The first time I got a freeze again, so I tried again with safe mode. Once I was in I did a Repair Disk Permissions. I rebooted and Yosemite loaded up ok.

I basically followed the Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast thread, with lots of trial & error, and a few amendments based on my individual setup.

It really seems simple in retrospect, and it is - but messing up little things on each step can really set you off track. I considered installing with Clover for a while but then decided to give this another shot and I'm glad I did.

I've been using Yosemite for a at least 6 hours now and everything seems perfect. That's all. Thanks to everyone's comments, they've been immensely helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem sadly is that on clean install it's all fine.
Any upgrade (I even did upgrade to Maverick first. And that works just fine.) but if i upgrade or transfer i am always stuck at 40-50%.
Even in safe verbose mode etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back