Contribute
Register

Yosemite & TRIM (Clover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, your Intel chipset is shown... what mobo/laptop is that? I'm guessing that it doesn't have ICH7.
?

The laptop's an Asus S400CA (with "Asus S400CA" board :lol:via Clover boot log), and it might, I'm not sure though, but here's my DPCIManager > PCIList to check for yourself.
View attachment Untitled.tiff

CHeers!

If your board didn't have AHCI you wouldn't even be able to boot OSX. ...
Good luck!

Actually there are quite a few (older) boards out there that don't have AHCI capability, yet are running nicely as Hackintoshes. Mine is definitely one of them. @ clipper99, don't get me wrong - thank you ... If you hadn't made that statement, I'd never have put 1 & 1 together...

After some research, digging through Intel ICH7 docs/pdfs, I see the confusion and a possible source of it. While laptops equipped with the "ICH7" chipset usually had the 82801GM (mobile, ICH7-M actually) variant, pretty much all the the desktop mobos with ICH7 go the 82801GB (base).

Straight out of the Intel docs, that mobile chipset had AHCI capability, but for whatever reason, many BIOS's didn't have a menu option to enable it. Forums from the last 4 or 5 years have plenty of threads where people are trying to enable AHCI on these boards by non-BIOS methods, such as DSDT, setpci, etc. Some of those w/ the mobile variant chipset were actually successful - especially in Linux.

From what I've seen, on the other hand, no one with the ICH7 _base_ chipset was ever able to turn on AHCI. The machinery for it just isn't there. The lack of AHCI capability for the ICH7 base chipset is documented in those same pdfs.

I'm not sure where the misconception about AHCI being necessary to boot OS X, the boards with straight ICH7 never had it. In fact the loaded kext that handles the (S)ATA on my board is the /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. That seems to fit with the discussions about this that mention that its capability with SATA is actually just a IDE-SATA compatibility mode, not AHCI.

So, for anyone else out there wanting to get NCQ (native command queuing) and TRIM support for an SSD on a true ICH7 board, it seems that we are just a bit out of luck.

Still, I'm glad I have the SSD installed. Hopefully its native garbage collection will be enough. Its performance is still a big improvement over the hdd that it replaced - a great upgrade for $25 after rebate.

Confirming - works with 10.10.1. But must be added to .plist manually. Clover Configurator saved changed values.
Even after the updates of Clover configurator I can confirm that it still saves changed values.
The way to enable TRIM is still by manually adding these values
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Trim Enabler</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
</data>
</dict>

Even after the updates of Clover configurator I can confirm that it still saves changed values.
The way to enable TRIM is still by manually adding these values

I think the confusion with Clover Configurator is because CC expects HEX values which it will convert to Base64 as needed by Clover's data type for patching kexts.

From Clover's WIKI (http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/KernelAndKextPatches)
Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 10.25.49 AM.png

And from Clover Configurator:
Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 10.25.39 AM.png
Note in the upper right corner of CC that it tells you that it will convert HEX to Base64.

So, if you use CC - the patch data must be in HEX
if you add it manually - you must be in Base64.

Try using this to check those numbers:
http://www.motobit.com/util/base64-decoder-encoder.asp

/Bob

Thanks for clarifying Bob, I completely missed the line "HEX will be converted in base 64 [Hex]".

If your board didn't have AHCI you wouldn't even be able to boot OSX. This works for me, just copy the line that says "TRIM Patch" (ignore everything else) in this screen shot and you should be good to go. Here's the numbers and text to save you time and possible entry errors. :)

IOAHCIBlockStorage
004150504C452053534400

Good luck!

Thanks! This worked perfectly for me :)

I googled trim and I understand now it should be enabled.
I now followed the clover configuration to activate trim, rebooted and everything works... but how can I verify now that it is active ?

Edit:
Spotlight stopped working

If your board didn't have AHCI you wouldn't even be able to boot OSX. This works for me, just copy the line that says "TRIM Patch" (ignore everything else) in this screen shot and you should be good to go. Here's the numbers and text to save you time and possible entry errors. :)

IOAHCIBlockStorage
004150504C452053534400

Good luck!

This worked perfectly for me.

Trim is now enabled under 10.10.3

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back