Contribute
Register

Yosemite to High Sierra...can I upgrade or should I do fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi guys.
I’ve been reluctant to mess with a Working system which ‘has served me well for years, but now enough applications don’t support Yosemite (and computer slowdown) that I’m needing to upgrade to High Sierra. (My MacBook Pro early-2011 won’t download Mojave)

I’m running a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H, with GTx970, i7 4790, Samsung SSD drive.

Can I upgrade in hackintosh Yosemite, or should I do a fresh install with UniBeast from guide?

If you can upgrade what steps or pitfalls do I need to be aware of?

Many thanks in advance.

I would suggest that you use a spare harddrive, and configure clover on it, and do a Vanilla install of High Sierra on it. Once you get a good working high sierra on the spare drive, use that clover for your Yosemite, and see if it boots. If it does, then do the update.

Hi guys.
I’ve been reluctant to mess with a Working system which has served me well for years, but now enough applications don’t support Yosemite (and computer slowdown) that I’m needing to upgrade to High Sierra. (My MacBook Pro early-2011 won’t download Mojave)

I’m running a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H, with GTx970, i7 4790, Samsung SSD drive.

Can I upgrade in hackintosh Yosemite, or should I do a fresh install with UniBeast from guide?

If you can upgrade what steps or pitfalls do I need to be aware of?

Many thanks in advance.

Your GTX 970 is not supported in Mojave due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers. So Mojave is currently useless to you.

If you are reluctant to mess with your working Yosemite install, which is quite understandable, you should go with a new install. Get a new drive and try to install High Sierra on it. I don't think upgrading is useful for you since you will probably need to install new versions of your applications anyway.

If you encounter any problems when installing High Sierra you still have your Yosemite install to fall back to. Just make sure to temporarily disconnect your Yosemite drive before installing High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back