Hi all,
i just built an Hackintosh for video-editing/color-grading pourpose:

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
CPU: i7 4790K
RAM: 32 GB (G SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
GPU: EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB
OSX SSD: SAMSUNG 840 250 GB
W7 SSD: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256 GB
Using Clover, everything works fine (Yosemite 10.10.1), but now i've to build a RAID 0 for STORAGE that can work on OSX and Windows 7...with 2 SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1 TB:
...building a raid 0 in windows works fine...but only in windows, osx doesn't recognize the raid, so i try a raid 0 in osx...but speed disappointed me:
390 read - 380 write AJA SYESTEM TEST and BLACKMAGIC DISK SPEED TEST (in osx as well as in w7)...
...are these speed correct for a raid 0 of two SSD ?
....suggestions will be highly appreciated! :headbang:
thanks!

Hi all,
i just built an Hackintosh for video-editing/color-grading pourpose:

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
CPU: i7 4790K
RAM: 32 GB (G SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
GPU: EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB
OSX SSD: SAMSUNG 840 250 GB
W7 SSD: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256 GB
Using Clover, everything works fine (Yosemite 10.10.1), but now i've to build a RAID 0 for STORAGE that can work on OSX and Windows 7...with 2 SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1 TB:
...building a raid 0 in windows works fine...but only in windows, osx doesn't recognize the raid, so i try a raid 0 in osx...but speed disappointed me:
390 read - 380 write AJA SYESTEM TEST and BLACKMAGIC DISK SPEED TEST (in osx as well as in w7)...
...are these speed correct for a raid 0 of two SSD ?
....suggestions will be highly appreciated! :headbang:
thanks!

Windows RAID and OS X Raid 0 are different. I wouldn't expect them to work together. Since one uses NTFS and there other HFS+ there's no real benefit anyway.

Things to check are:

1. Is TRIM enabled?

2. How have you created the RAID 0? Disk Utility I would assume if you're booting from it.

3. Which SATA ports on the MB are you using? Are they at full speed?

4. Have you actually created a RAID 0 that spans both SSD's? I've seen somebody partition two disks down and then use the same disk for RAID0. It was very funny!

More information would be helpful as there's not a lot to go on.

I would expect two SSD's in RAID 0 to be hitting 700-800MB as a minimum. I get over 480MB/sec write on my Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. Thats just bare SSD.

Also you are aware that if any of the two SSD's fail you will lose the whole RAID0? You have doubled your chances of data loss.

Rob

Windows RAID and OS X Raid 0 are different. I wouldn't expect them to work together. Since one uses NTFS and there other HFS+ there's no real benefit anyway.

Things to check are:

1. Is TRIM enabled?

No....

2. How have you created the RAID 0? Disk Utility I would assume if you're booting from it.

Yes, simply Disk Utility!

3. Which SATA ports on the MB are you using? Are they at full speed?

Intel Sata Port (mobo has 6 intel and 4 AsMedia)....how may test if they are at full speed? :crazy:

4. Have you actually created a RAID 0 that spans both SSD's? I've seen somebody partition two disks down and then use the same disk for RAID0. It was very funny!

I simply use diskutil and create a Stripped Raid 0...

More information would be helpful as there's not a lot to go on.

I would expect two SSD's in RAID 0 to be hitting 700-800MB as a minimum. I get over 480MB/sec write on my Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. Thats just bare SSD.

700-800 is what i expect! :banghead:

Also you are aware that if any of the two SSD's fail you will lose the whole RAID0? You have doubled your chances of data loss.

I know, but i always backup! :p

Thanks Rob !!!!!!! :headbang:

Problem Solved !!! :clap:

...wrong mobo ports !!! :banghead::banghead:

OSX RIDE 0.jpg

Attachments

• OSX RIDE 0.tiff
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back