RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi

I hope someone can help.. I have been having these random system crashes/freezes in Yosemite and have been trying to find the culprit.. I found that the Quicklooksatellite is having issue when it accesses and previews Office files (doc, docx, xld,xlsx). Not all of them.

It will sometime open to preview pane and sometimes just freeze and show an icon. I have noticed a bunch of console messages referring to the quicklook satellite office when these freezes or hangups appear.

I have MS Office installed and that works fine doing its job.

I have tries to reset quicklook and reset its caches.

I have deleted the container directory for quicklook in User/S/L/Container and also deleted the quicklook Daemon plist file in User/S/L/Preferences to no avail. I have also used Pacifist to reinstall the quicklook and its plugins and still nothing. it still freezes randomly throughout the day.

I wonder if anyone is having similar issues or have found a solution previously?

Edit: I found that the crashes/system freeze were caused by the following:
1) - Doc/XLS files on the desktop. Removing the files to a folder seems to have stopped the crashes.
2) VMWARE Fusion 7. Changing number of processors (4 to 1) used by the Windows VM seems to also helped. VMware seems to be causing an excessive number of wake-ups.

EDIT2: - seems the above steps did not help much though it reduced some of the frequency and that gave me an idea.
I deleted the contents of the AppleKextExcludeList (in the Info.plist and leaving only the first entry of OSKextExcludeList and OSKextSigExceptionHashList.) I rebuilt the kext cache and restarted. Seems to be all good after 48 hours. Strange. I suspect that occasional kexts are being "excluded" and causes the random freezes. I expected the switch "kext-dev-mode = 1" to allow loading of kexts. I will keep monitoring.

EDIT3: After approx 5 days continuously running and without any crashes nor freezes, I think that must have nailed it. Updated to 10.10.2 couple of days back and it is still OK.

I deleted the contents of the AppleKextExcludeList (in the Info.plist and leaving only the first entry of OSKextExcludeList and OSKextSigExceptionHashList.) I rebuilt the kext cache and restarted.

Hey there! :)
I also have those random freezes, mostly when using quicklook or preview, but sometimes in other situations. Really super annoying.
I'd like to try out on your findings there, but I have no clue how to.
Could you maybe explain in detail how to do this?? Thank you!

EDIT:
I downgraded back to 10.9.5 (clean install) and still experienced the freezes... The discovered some posts mentioning a freezefix.app, which I downloaded and applied as instructed - Not a single freeze since then! :) So happy :D it is this link (I do not own this!): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32210445/freezefix.zip
Only thing I noticed is that switching off the mac takes forever... But that's still something one can live with, compared to those freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back