Contribute
Register

Yosemite on Radeon R9 280x with 3 monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB memory
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,
So I just successfully installed Yosemite (via UniBeast and MultiBeast), but only 2 out of 3 of my monitors work. The card is a MSI Radeon R9 280X, and I have 3 monitors connected like so:

Monitor 1 connected via HDMI to Active Mini-DisplayPort converter
Monitor 2 via HDMI
Monitor 3 via DVI

Only Monitors 1 and 2 work, but the 3rd one doesn't show up at all.

I have CSM disabled in the BIOS. I've tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and that doesn't make it work either. Maybe someone might have an idea on how to get all 3 working? Thanks :)

:headbang: Thats good to know. I have the same graphic card but i can[t even use two monitors. I do something special to get it working? Thank you.

Jeordanis, all I did was install Yosemite via UniBeast and Multibeast and I seemed to have 2 monitor support out of the box. Though, I think a while ago I did update the firmware on the video card to enabled GOP mode.. though I'm not sure how to verify that.

Anyone? Can anyone please help? My card is MSI R9 280X GAMING 3GB 384-bit.

you said you disabled CSM, did you also set OS mode to Windows 8 WHQL in the UEFI (if you have that option)?

You need to use a compatible framebuffer and patch your connectors. See these threads:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/249642-editing-custom-personalities-for-ati-radeon-hd45xxx/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294315-radeon-r9-270x-framebuffer-issue/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...n-mavricks/?view=findpost&p=2017183&hl=+7970\

Also, I can't give you a link for this, but Google "editing amd framebuffer" and click the first link.

Word of warning - This is pretty advanced stuff and it's time consuming... But it's often the only way to fix it. Only a few people have managed to get 270x/280x/290/290x cards working on all ports, though.

I haven't tried the Windows 8 WHQL setting yes, but yes my Mobo has that setting and I'll try it tonight. However, the rest of it does indeed seem time consuming and... risky? I really don't want to brick my Gfx card doing that. I also want it so that it's still compatible with Windows while using it with OS X. Do you think if I invest in a 2nd DVI to mini-DisplayPort it might get to work instead of going through editing the Frambebuffer?

I haven't tried the Windows 8 WHQL setting yes, but yes my Mobo has that setting and I'll try it tonight. However, the rest of it does indeed seem time consuming and... risky? I really don't want to brick my Gfx card doing that. I also want it so that it's still compatible with Windows while using it with OS X. Do you think if I invest in a 2nd DVI to mini-DisplayPort it might get to work instead of going through editing the Frambebuffer?
To clarify, I'm talking about patching the connector data that's in the amd7000 kext - nothing to do with the actual hardware. The reason people have these problems with amd cards is because mac versions of the cards have different ports, etc. Each generation of card has a set number of frame buffer badges to choose from. If you Google amd7000controller framebuffer personalities you will probably find the names of the ones available for your card. I would experiment with different framebuffers first and see if any of them work for you. You can do this by adding AtiConfig=(name of the frame buffer) to your boot flags.

As for the dvi to mini display port, I'd sat it's probably worth a shot.

Ok I'll look into amd7000controller framebuffer personalities.

Earlier today I tried to select Windows 8 WHQL in my BIOS, but once I did that, most of my boot devices except for one which was apparently a UEFI device? Not sure how it became a UEFI boot drive when I don't remember selecting it. Obviously I couldn't boot into my machine because the rest of the drives disappeared. How do I have them show up?

Earlier today I tried to select Windows 8 WHQL in my BIOS, but once I did that, most of my boot devices except for one which was apparently a UEFI device? Not sure how it became a UEFI boot drive when I don't remember selecting it. Obviously I couldn't boot into my machine because the rest of the drives disappeared. How do I have them show up?

Oops, I forgot! You need a UEFI bootloader for it to work, you would have to use Clover (note: you can keep Chimera installed at the same time).

Oops, I forgot! You need a UEFI bootloader for it to work, you would have to use Clover (note: you can keep Chimera installed at the same time). Disabling CSM disables legacy boot which is why your drives didn't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back