Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GT 610
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I am trying to install OS X Yosemite on my HP Pavilion g6 notebook, but the laptop doesn't boot from the USB. When I press F9, I don't get the screen where I can choose the boot device. Not in Legacy Mode and not in UEFI Mode. The USB does work on my Dell Vostro 1510 laptop, but that laptop doesn't have UEFI.

Hello,

I am trying to install OS X Yosemite on my HP Pavilion g6 notebook, but the laptop doesn't boot from the USB. When I press F9, I don't get the screen where I can choose the boot device. Not in Legacy Mode and not in UEFI Mode. The USB does work on my Dell Vostro 1510 laptop, but that laptop doesn't have UEFI.

Make sure you have secure boot disabled in BIOS.

I have Legacy Mode enabled, and Secure Boot disabled.

I have Legacy Mode enabled, and Secure Boot disabled.

Try different USB ports, different USB stick. Make sure the stick was partitioned MBR.

The USB stick is partitioned as MBR. I don't have another USB stick with a size of 8 GB of higher. I tried all USB ports.

The USB stick is partitioned as MBR. I don't have another USB stick with a size of 8 GB of higher. I tried all USB ports.

Purchase a new stick. Try to use "not so fancy" plain-old USB2 sticks.

Check BIOS settings for USB boot as well (if you have USB boot disabled, the BIOS won't be showing you any USB devices...)

Do you think this USB sticks work?

ICIDU Metal Flash Drive 8GB/16GB

Do you think this USB sticks work?

ICIDU Metal Flash Drive 8GB/16GB

No idea. I use cheap Sandisk 8GB USB2 sticks that I bought in 3-packs at costco.

Newer/larger/USB3 sticks tend to cause problems.

I also have an external hard drive. Can I create an separate partition on the external hard drive for OS X Yosemite, without losing the files on the other partition?

I also have an external hard drive. Can I create an separate partition on the external hard drive for OS X Yosemite, without losing the files on the other partition?

You could also put the installer on a partition on the actual HDD. I do that a fair bit because installs from HDD (or SSD) are faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back