Contribute
Register

Yosemite on ASUS Z87-WS with i7-4770K: can't get to installer. No hair left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z87-WS ATX LGA1150
CPU
Intel i7-4770K 3.50GHz
Graphics
Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II (2 x SLI)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Gents - another set of start up questions I'm afraid. But I have been working on this since 12/20/14!!

Configuration: Asus Z87-WS ATX LGA1150; Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core; G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400; Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD; 2 x Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II (SLI); LEPA 1600W ATX12V / EPS12V; Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM; Monitor connected by DVI

ASUS BIOS - v. 2004 (that is not the date!!)

Machine has five drive bays. It was initially set up to run windows 7 ultimate. Have removed those drives and put in a fresh Samsung SSD as described above

Followed the install guide from the Installation Guide from Tony Mac using a MacBook Pro 3 (13 inch) to download Yosemite and combine with UniBeast (5.0.2) for a bootable USB. Did not select Laptop Support or Legacy USB Support. BIOS settings were changed except VT-d which is not applicable and nor is CFG-Lock which was not changed.

I note that Bob Roche has put a post up about this specific motherboard but there was no discussion about BIOS settings or boot flags.

The issue is that I cannot get the installer to run. I have tried multiple boot flags and always run the -v option. All I get is different errors.

Any suggestions on a procedure to sort this all out. Machine is for my son who is a Motion Design student.....and bitching about his delayed Christmas present!

Thanks in advance!

Try setting "maxmem=" to half your memory. 4096 if you have 8gb (8192 if you have 16gb).

Also try adding -no-zp and booting in safe mode (-x)

It's probably the GTX 780 that's the problem - Try installing without it.
Or add nv_disable=1 to your boot flags.

Good Luck

Try setting "maxmem=" to half your memory. 4096 if you have 8gb (8192 if you have 16gb).

Also try adding -no-zp and booting in safe mode (-x)

Thanks. I appear to have found the issue. I set X.M.P = profile #1 (Shout out to Sarazar on ******.)
Even though I did try maxmem at 4096 and 8192 I still got failures. By changing the XMP setting Yosemite simply slammed in. I wonder if it is important to keep addressing the same memory stack?

Now I have the post install tidy up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back