Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE: This configuration updates to El Capitan using the tonymac86 recommended method described here at this link ...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...rect-update-os-x-el-capitan-using-clover.html

I followed the directions EXACTLY (don't miss a step!). The only extra things I did was instead of moving the FakeSMC kext to the 10.11 folder, I just put a copy of the updated file from the link provided in the migration instructions. I also had to get the updated audio driver script here ..

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

... and run that script AFTER rebooting into the install AND mounting the EFI partition using EFI Mounter v2. All USB ports are working as far as I can tell. I have not tested the speed of the USB 3.0 ports, but they work.

=========== Original Directions for Yosemite ===========

This is how I did it.

System:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Processor: SandyBridge Core i7 2600K
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600
Video: Gigabyte ATI GV-R6850OC-1GB (ATI 6850 card)
This should work with any supported video card.
Samsung EVO 256Gb SSD

The first thing you MUST do is upgrade the BIOS to the UEFI U1L release if you haven't already. This took the most time, as I was never able to create a DOS boot disk under mac, regardless of what I tried. FreeDOS just would not install correctly so that USB stick would boot. And you have to update the UEFI BIOS from a DOS stick. I finally gave up and did it under Linux using netbootin. I'll let everyone wade through that themselves, but upgrade to the UEFI bios if you haven't already. You'll be happy you did, because the computer boots like lightning after you do and runs faster in general. All the following instructions depend on using this BIOS. If you are worried about going back to previous install, don't. Just delete the DSDT.aml file from the Extras folder on the old system and every time I have done this my Mavericks installs have booted just fine, just much faster. Even the dual booting Windows install managed to update things after a couple of reboots and work just fine.

One important side note. IF you install this on a rotating hard drive first and plan to CLONE it to your SSD later (I did this once with Super Duper), you will find you have wasted your time because you will get the dreaded Boot0 error as even the UEFI BIOS apparently expects this to be a 512K sector drive. So, install this on the disk you plan to use and only back it up to a drive that matches the sector size! The Boot0 error fix posted on this site did NOT work for me on a Clover install. Tried that. Rather than take the time to figure it out, I just reinstalled (lazy I know).

Once you have the UEFI BIOS, Create the Clover Install USB stick like the tonymacx86 instructions specify. It is also VERY helpful to grab a few other utilities, the Clover Configurator, the EFI Mounter v2, the iMessage fix script, and an incredibly handy audio kext install script, the "audio_cloverALC-100_v1.0.3command" script, the Generic USB 3.0 driver from sourceforge (links below), and a copy of Multibeast 7.x just in case. Create a folder called "Utilities" on your clover install disk and copy them there. Also include a copy of Clover, a copy of the config.plist you use to create the Clover Install USB stick, and a copy of all the kexts you use on the Clover Install USB stick. (You'll see what these are when you read the Tonymacx86 guide here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/ (Get the Yosemite edition).

EFI Mounter v2: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=220

The iMessage fix script (you may or may not use this one) is in the post directly below the tonymacx96 guide to installing Yosemite using Clover. Get it there.

(other links below).

Install using clover EXACTLY like the Tonymacx86 guide directs. For networking, use the RealtekRTL81xxx.kext. Use the config.plist-Standard.zip IF you have a supported card that does not need a Graphics Enabler=Yes boot flag. This one doesn't. If you created your Clover install disk and followed the install to the letter, it will go smoothly.

STOP before you do the final reboot into the fully installed system.

DO NOT reboot without making some minor modifications to your /EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist using the Clover Configurator prior to the final reboot. After you install Clover into the EFI partition of your new system, the EFI partition will remain mounted afterwards (it normally isn't). Fire up the Clover Configurator and in the Boot section, enter the Default Boot Volume name EXACTLY as you have named your Yosemite install drive. Mine was Yosemite_Z68XP, so that is what I entered (boots a little faster by doing this I think). If you misspell the drive name, you will never time out on the splash screen for Clover and must manually hit enter to make it proceed. I also set the 'timeout' value to 3 seconds, as I didn't want to wait for the default 10 seconds for the Clover splash screen to go away unless I hit enter.

On the Gui screen, I entered the Screen resolution as 1920x1060 as that was the aspect that most accurately matched my screen.

ONE CRITICAL ENTRY is to under the SMBIOS section. Enter iMac 13,1 under the Product Name. Family is iMac (I think this is optional) and the Manufacturer is Apple, Inc. Strangely enough, I ran the iMessage fix script (I won't go into how to do that) and it reads my system as an iMac 12,3 BUT if I enter that definition, it will not boot. So as I did under Mavericks with this board, I entered iMac 13,1 and it runs like a top. You can experiment with themes, they just didn't work unless I deleted all but the one I wanted in the /EFI/EFI/Clover/Themes directory and renamed the folder 'default'. Hit the red close window button and select save. That will save the changes to your config.plist file.

You can deal with audio one of two ways. You can use Multibeast 7.x and select ALC889 for the audio kext and the optional HDAEnabler AUdio ID:1 option. That will work. However, I used a very slick shell script written apparently by toleda (thanks dude!) that reads your audio chip, downloads the kext, installs it, fixes permissions, and just works. You can find it at this link:

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip

Hit the 'raw' button below the script name to start the download. Then unzip it. This is a shell script, so just double click it and it'll open the terminal and run. Note: if you have set your terminal, like I have, to close after the script is finished, you'll miss it. So you might want to set things in the preferences to leave it open for this operation. I have used this script several times with other setups with great success. Very handy.

For USB 3.0, this board has an Entron chipset that isn't natively supported by Apple. So I used the GenericUSBXHCI kext from sourceforge. As others have reported you get wonky results, but one of the two rear ports works great, but only one, the second one for who knows what reason, doesn't. That's better than nothing. If anyone knows other fixes, please chime in. Use the tonymacx86 KextBeast to install it. Here is link to the sourceforge USB 3.0 kext:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/

You can try the iMessage fix if you like, but apparently there is no real fix for it at the moment. That may change over time.

Here is the latest take on things in the iMessage world:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Eject any install media, and remove it. Reboot and it should work fine with the exception of imessage, facetime, and one of your rear USB 3.0 ports, or maybe both. Apparently the results vary.

@tofuconfetti - Sorry is this obvious, but why is upgrading the BIOS to the UEFI U1L release a must? I generally apply BIOS updates to fix a problem, and I'm not seeing that here. Thanks.

KC

@tofuconfetti - Sorry is this obvious, but why is upgrading the BIOS to the UEFI U1L release a must? I generally apply BIOS updates to fix a problem, and I'm not seeing that here. Thanks.

KC
I was running the standard non-UEFI BIOS. No matter what I tried I could not get an install with Clover OR Multibeast. It is my feeling that Clover is the future of hackintosh installs, and specifically this post was about getting Clover to work on this board. In that regard, I would like hear the experience of others installing Yosemite on this board using Clover without the UEFI BIOS. I could not get it to work, no matter what I tried. And I've installed about every OSX that I could since that board came out.

Even if I could have installed using the old standard BIOS, after upgrading to the UEFI BIOS it's like having a new computer. I also use a GA-Z77X-UD5 TH based system, which came with the UEFI originally, and now they computers are nearly equal in performance. It boots up very fast and installing using Clover wasn't hard at all. Better yet, with the UEFI setup and Clover, I now can triple boot OSX, Linux Mint, and Win 7 (I use a small install for ripping CD's and backing up DVDs/BluRays, which is MUCH faster using the Nvidia Open CL). You can't boot Linux with Chimera. I now have all three booting in UEFI mode, which was a real learning experience and not hard at all.

So, bottom line for me, upgrading to the UEFI BIOS was a step to get me away from the standard BIOS and get Yosemite installed using Clover. I really would like to hear the thoughts of others who have done it a different way.

Interesting. I have the same mb and have run into real problems moving to a new os. I wonder if this is why.... Were there any gotchas or other things to be aware of with the UEFI BIOS update?

It went seamlessly for me ONCE I got the dang DOS boot USB drive properly set up. Just for the challenge I wanted to do this one "all mac" and never could get the FreeDos to install the way macman outlined (you can google how he recommended). I resorted to Linux, which I am very comfortable with. Once I set up the DOS USB drive and put the utility for the BIOS update on it and the actual UEFI bios file, it was very simple. I have always used the onboard utility to upgrade the bios (the flash utility available in the blue BIOS screen by pressing f8), but for this particular update that won't work. It has to be done in an environement outside the BIOS, thus the requirement for doing so from the USB DOS bootable thumb drive. Just don't lose power doing the update! Apparently because these boards have a 'dual BIOS', if you do it will automatically fall back on the other one. However, I would not want to test that theory.

Once you have the UEFI BIOS, setting things up using Clover was not hard. Just remember to follow the tonymacx86 guide to the letter, and modify the config.plist as I outlined above, especially the system definition of iMac 13,1, which if you omit will insure you can't reboot.

I currently use this board with 10.8.5 and and nVid 480. The problem I had with the boot stick during the installation was I didnt't get a display after the apple logo with the progress line appeared and with the moment the screen should switch the system kept hanging.

I thought the reason was that the system cannot decide which output to take on the graphic card (hdmi or dvi's), and I started testing around with ncpi and GrapicsEnabler switches, but I never got beyond this point.

So you are sure it's an issue about the F6g BIOS ? And after you updated to EFI, did you use any optional switches using the USB boot stick oder did you just boot up using defaults? Did you use an old DSDT file or configure all parameters by hand?

Hi I appreciate the guide on the UD4 board. I am attempting a 10.10 clover install the the UD3 version of this and your guide was the closest I could find. However my issue so far is not with the UEFI bios install, rather the installation from the USB loader.

I am currently running mavericks with chimera, but have a spare 500gb ssd to try out Yosemite.

Motherboard is GA-Z68XP-UD3 with the most current UEFI bios installed.
i7-2600
GTX 680
32GB RAM

I have also posted this under the clover install forum but it is 80 pages deep now any will likely be overlooked.

I have created the USB loader twice now following the steps in the 10.10 clover guide. Both times ending up stuck in the same place. I am able to boot into the clover drive and then select the Yosemite Installer. Once I launch it I get a black screen for about 15 seconds, then an apple logo on black for a while. Eventually a slow loading bar appears and gets to ~ 1/3 progress before this panic appears and restarts the machine.

Any assistance with this would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_4922.jpg
    IMG_4922.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 370
Hi I appreciate the guide on the UD4 board. I am attempting a 10.10 clover install the the UD3 version of this and your guide was the closest I could find. However my issue so far is not with the UEFI bios install, rather the installation from the USB loader.

I am currently running mavericks with chimera, but have a spare 500gb ssd to try out Yosemite.

i7-2600
GTX 680
32GB RAM

I have also posted this under the clover install forum but it is 80 pages deep now any will likely be overlooked.

I have created the USB loader twice now following the steps in the 10.10 clover guide. Both times ending up stuck in the same place. I am able to boot into the clover drive and then select the Yosemite Installer. Once I launch it I get a black screen for about 15 seconds, then an apple logo on black for a while. Eventually a slow loading bar appears and gets to ~ 1/3 progress before this panic appears and restarts the machine.

Post your config.plist.

Are you installing OS X or doing post installation? If installation, then keep MacPro3,1 as system definition.

Thank you for the response. I will post my plist when I get home from work,

I am still in the install stage of OSX. I can update the system config back to 3.1. It was set that way on my first attempt using the standard plist, this last time I had it as 4.1 since I had copied all the info of my current machine for the imessage debug.

i7-2600
GTX 680
32GB RAM

it is because you used a macPro4,1 system definition but neglected to delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext.

Boot with -x and either change your system definition back to MacPro3,1 with Multibeast or,
In Finder navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ and move AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to the Trash.
Restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back