Contribute
Register

Yosemite Handoff-capable Bluetooth adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to go cheaper on ebay route first. I got an adapter that only had 3 antenna's because i could not find any with 4. first mistkae.

Second mistake, even though seller said it was from an imac, it ended up being same card in all regards except it was an OEM DELL card, so it wouldn't load bluetooth in OS X without kext hacking but then handoff didn't work since it wasn't an apple vendor card.

The price from the link i gave was worth it considering i ended up with 3 useless wifi cards and other issues. The "shady" link has solid email support, tests cards before sending and will even prove it's a genuine imac card. You aren't just buying adapter you get adapter plus card plus it's pre built. Priced high sure but if you go cheap, you may have to do the soldering yourself or have parts that don't actually work. So It's just for the sake of ease I suppose.

Heck FYI, the seller that sent me a bad Dell Oem card on ebay, was the one linked as an example in the netkas post, so yeah.

Totally understand that. He came up with a niche and he is making money out of it. So far so good... The problem is that, that is not the case. He is literally ripping people off by charging twice as much as what it's worth for just the assembly of the parts. There is putting your bit on the top for producing the goods and then theres going overboard by ripping people off. Have you noticed that the price is actually $150, reduced to $100? **** take. If he was covering his costs and making his little bit on the side I would not have a problem with that and I would buy one. He isn't and I think it's a disgrace charging those prices when he knows most people that turn to hackintoshing are on a budget and want to have a near OS X experience for as little as possible, if that was not the case people would buy Macs instead. But, like you said, it's all for the sake of convenience. There are more sellers that state that the device is an Apple device, not compatible. Also on ebay if the goods are not as described you would just send it back.

That's the nice thing about capitalism-- you can choose to accept the seller's price, or not.

Let him ask what he wants, and let other buyers pay if they choose. He'll adjust the price if he's not selling enough. Those who value the convenience can buy at a premium. Those who would rather tinker and save money can take that route. It's not like he's exactly manipulating the market.

To me the price is acceptable as long as it will work with Handoff. The price to make my own on eBay looked to be around $60, and as mentioned earlier in the thread you could always wind up with a non-Apple card and have problems. This is awesome, thanks MysticalOS.

Just ordered the adapter combo from osxwifi.com

A bit pricey but I've been burned by those bluetooth USB adapters a couple times already (they are so fragile!) and I'm tired of it. Plus, I think I'll use hand-off frequently. Will let you know how it turns out if no one else shares there experience here about it.

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

I also just ordered from OSXWifi.com. I emailed this morning to ensure that yes Handoff will work, and got a prompt reply saying in writing that yes, all Yosemite features are supported since they're official Apple cards. I'll also post back when I get mine.

It looks like I will have to buy the one my friend is selling. I'm starting to doubt usb BT 4.0 adapters will get enabled as it looks like the atheros wifi has something to do with it and wifi needs to be broadcom. At least thats what people that tested it managed to get it working with a bt usb but the wifi needs to be the BCM94352 or BCM94331 or the best BCM94360. It will not activate handoff unless you have one of these wifi chips. The atheros 9280 is out of the question and that is what I've got.

Thanks for the OSXWifi.com link. I am more than capable of building my own but why when somebody else will do all the work and all I have to do is slap it in my box and never think about it again. That is well worth $40!

Also ~$40 markup on parts is nothing. This guy takes time to order and stock parts, get them built, tests them, then ships them. Why should he do all that for nothing?

Does anyone know if you have to leave wifi enabled? If you buy the adaptor can you still use ethernet mainly.

Wifi AND bluetooth need to be enabled on PHONE.

mac only needs BT enabled and ethernet. I've been using plenty of handoff and wifi does NOT need to be enabled on mac. It is required on the iphone though.

10.10 is finally here and i couldn't be happier with my hackintosh right now

http://youtu.be/FF4Y7MA8Nbg

Some Images
http://mysticalos.com/images/handoff/

My tip after having dealing with fake cards. Check the vendor on BT specifically. An imac or apple card will list apple as vendor. a non apple card will list broadcom, or maybe even someone like dell. The card I got was same part number and everything. It was literally same hardware, but it was not apple oem it was pulled from a dell and thus the ONLY diff in card was who made it, and because of this, apple blocked handoff in it. On top of that, it had to be hacked into the BT driver to even work for everything else do to the diff vendor/product ID. Even though it was same part number. Point being, you can order right part number and still get jacked.

Note, handoff of documents works out of box. Calling requires setting up facetime, which also means you need to have working facetime/messages. This mean that at the moment, chimera/chameleon are out. I'm using clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back