Contribute
Register

Yosemite Handoff-capable Bluetooth adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to update this.

One of the other issues I had been having in addition to the Handoff, was that my Hack would suddenly, and without warning stop booting after a few boots. No explanation, it would just stop. Someone on ****** suggested I use kext utility as a solution.

They had a similar issue and it turned out, according to them, that the Nvidia drivers were failing to cache or something after a while. OS X would simply reject them, leading to the inability to boot.

I ran the program and it did its thing....only to have my newly working Hack to not boot. I booted into OS X using my chameleon boot recovery disk (my Clover one never works), and ran the program again.

Not only did it fix my boot issue, but it fixed Handoff as well.

So, it must have been some permissions error or something on one of the kexts relating to the network card.

As of this moment I have a working Hack with Handoff support. So, if you're having issues perhaps try running that software.

Good luck :D

RSSI: -48
Noise: -87

Connection is solid.

I have to say-- I'm confident that what your asking for will tell you a grand total of zero about whether or not your card/adaptor is having issues.

WiFi signal strength includes so, so many variables, that short of testing in a very controlled environment (or controlling for all factors but multiple versions of the card/adaptor in the exact same system in the exact same location at the exact same time)... you really can't figure it out this way.

I could move my system 2 feet over and get totally different numbers. I could have the washing machine on (as it is right now) and get different numbers. I could be transferring photos over USB 3 and get different numbers. My neighbor could turn on his TV and I'd get different numbers.

BTW: I installed the card + adaptor listed here and it works pretty well. Wifi worked immediately. Bluetooth was a bit finicky getting the first pairing to my keyboard and mouse (Apple). Took a reboot or two and some patience. Continuity seems to work, but it's a little buggy (as it is on real Macs too). Keyboard works at the bootloader! I haven't gotten the keyboard to work in order to enter BIOS, but that might also be a key issue.

I do wish I had a longer power cable for the Bluetooth portion of the card for better routing around my GPU.

RSSI: -48
Noise: -87

Connection is solid.

I have to say-- I'm confident that what your asking for will tell you a grand total of zero about whether or not your card/adaptor is having issues.

WiFi signal strength includes so, so many variables, that short of testing in a very controlled environment (or controlling for all factors but multiple versions of the card/adaptor in the exact same system in the exact same location at the exact same time)... you really can't figure it out this way.

I could move my system 2 feet over and get totally different numbers. I could have the washing machine on (as it is right now) and get different numbers. I could be transferring photos over USB 3 and get different numbers. My neighbor could turn on his TV and I'd get different numbers.

BTW: I installed the card + adaptor listed here and it works pretty well. Wifi worked immediately. Bluetooth was a bit finicky getting the first pairing to my keyboard and mouse (Apple). Took a reboot or two and some patience. Continuity seems to work, but it's a little buggy (as it is on real Macs too). Keyboard works at the bootloader! I haven't gotten the keyboard to work in order to enter BIOS, but that might also be a key issue.

I do wish I had a longer power cable for the Bluetooth portion of the card for better routing around my GPU.

Thanks for your input. You might be right I guess? But my hack's in clear sight of my router about 5 meters away and I'm getting a RSSI of 70 ish..... whilst everyone else is getting 60's 50's? To me this does suggest there is poor reception from the card? My macbook air gets RSSI -50 Noise -80....

To me this does indicate I have an issue with reception? No if its the card / antenna or adaptor? That trickier to guess?

Anyone notice any lag with the mouse? It's not all the time. But I do notice it with the mouse at times.

Jung received the card and the adapter
WiFi works well while Bluetooth doesn't work, it doesn't recognize the card ("no information found" in about this Mac)
The slot is PCI-Ex1
The hardware is Dell XPS 8000 with OEM mobo, of course with USB 2; the software is OS X 10.10.1

I tried change slot and usb, but the Bluetooth still doesn't work. What can I try to do to make it work?
The led is red when the hack is ON and green when it is off. Is this regular?

My hack is a XPS 8300 i7. Not sure how different it forms yours. Card is in a x1 pcie slot and the usb lead is plugged into a usb2 header.

Card LEDs are green when machine is on and when it is asleep. I see no red.

Thank you for the answer
Tomorrow I will try to see if the USB cable is working, I think it's a current problem.

Thank you for the answer
Tomorrow I will try to see if the USB cable is working, I think it's a current problem.

Also check that the card is installed nicely in the PCIe slot. As was mentioned sometime earlier in this forum thread, the adapter card can be a very tight fit. Sometimes one has to loosen the screws holding the metal bit to ensure the card is level in the slot.

Good luck with your trouble shooting.

Anyone notice any lag with the mouse? It's not all the time. But I do notice it with the mouse at times.

I've seen this once or twice, but I have also encountered it using USB Bluetooth modules (both plugged into the front USB panel ports and plugged into my Apple LED 27" monitor's usb ports). You'll probably notice that it happens when the computer is doing something with heavy I/O or processing/GPU. I think it's mainly down to interference that can't alway be eliminated. Kinda analogous to the way that USB3 causes known interference with wireless devices/transmission on 2.4Ghz (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back