Contribute
Register

Yosemite Graphics Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, removal of GenerateCStates & GeneratePStates had seemed to help, but seems to have only been a momentary resolve. This latency, lagging, UI slowdown is an incremental thing, and seems to take hours to manifest.

That has me wondering if this is caused by some queueing or buffering related problem.

I have found that running xCode's Quartz Debug app & disabling 2D acceleration & Beam Sync has a profound impact on UI usability... it just happens at the expense of overall system stability. The way Chrome engages display updates will cause a kernel panic, with any otherwise reasonable level of browsing. Similarly, a Parallels guest could cause a full system crash with something as simple as an overzealous page scroll.

Have you tried with a different graphics card?
I have a feeling that the GTS-250 may be somewhat underpowered for your system.
My lag was present even with a GTX-770 and was only alleviated by upgrading to a Radeon R9-290X and I intend to add a second R9-290X soon as graphics performance still isn't as good as I would like at 4K.

Thanks, rabbit74! A new graphics card is definitely on the list... this workstation is mainly being used as something of a fileserver, vm host & Internet station, so it doesn't really beg for ballsy video capability. The reality, is that it worked just fine when it was running Mountain Lion & Mavericks. I simply hadn't expected usability to evaporate, altogether, with the installation of Yosemite!

As I looked back through your notes, however, it struck me that "perhaps the issues I'm experiencing are the results of more than a single setting". I applied the "mission control" setting, removing the check from "Displays have separate spaces"... and found that this seems to have helped considerably. I'm now, again, able to launch & use Chrome... which is nice. If I engage an extended ARD session, or leave ARD open in the background, the UI still seems to bog down, more-or-less, unrecoverably... until reboot.

What I can say, is that the combination of:
1) removing the GenerateCStates & GeneratePStates,
2) and disabling System Prefs -> Mission Control -> Displays have separate spaces
have restored usability tremendously, albeit, maybe still only 70% of ideal.

If you've any thoughts on further enhancements, I'm all ears!

I'm also interested to know more about your jump to ATI from NVidia. I had kind of hoped to stick with NVidia. In my experience, adding products from new vendors to this exercise has consistently compounded complexities, rather than reduced them. Your exploration, however, suggests otherwise in this case... true?

I have same problem.

So, Do you use 290x now?
Does graphic card upgrade help to solve this problem?

I use old machine i7-860 and GTX260.
I will upgrade graphic card if that could be solved.
If more fast machine is better than graphic card upgrading, I will upgrade my computer.

What do you think about it?
Thank you.

Yes. I now have ati R9 290x.
It is better.
Using chameleon or chimera installed in efi and graphics enabler no

On Yosemite it is good. But I beta tested it on the next OS coming next month and the 290x is fully supported.
I would recommend waiting for the release of the next OS because getting the 290x running on Yosemite is kind of advanced user level. If you have a lot of free time and patience you can start now. But better to wait until next month and your life will be better.

Thanks Rabbit74.

I want to upgrade graphic card GTX970.
I wonder this problem come form just performance of graphic card or nvida's problem.

The lag issue is a Yosemite specific issue.
But the next OS coming next month fixes most or all of these issues because it uses a completely different graphics engine.

The gtx-970 will probably have native support in the next OS. But I think it is not yet natively supported but I'm guessing as I haven't tested or researched it.
Best wait until next month. See what others are using .
Buying a new card ahead of the release of the new OS is going to be problematic.

Okay. I think I have to wait until next os release as you say.

Thanks!

Created similar thread for GT 1030.
I wish I could replace video card, like you did.
Unfortunately MSI GT 1030 is probably the only 8K video card, that only consumes 30W and can be used in my iMac build with only 200W PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back