Graphics
r9 290x + 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yosemite Graphics Lag [SOLVED]

This post is my documentation of Graphics Lag in Yosemite. I want to try to narrow down the causes of Graphics Lag.

Config; GE=No: GTX-770,M1(DP)@3200x1800//M2(HDMi)@1080p

These apps seem to cause lag intermittently:
XBMC Gotham
Chrome
Canary
Opera
Firefox

These conditions/apps always cause Lag:
Running a second screen.
Running a second screen with "Displays have different spaces" = Yes

.......................................................................................

edit/
Improved graphic performance with
Mission Control settings changed to:
Displays have separate splaces = No

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 9.30.22 AM.jpg
Turning this off so far seems to have removed the Lag issue.

Booting with -f seems to have improved the situation but still getting lag with both the web driver and the stock driver in 10.10.01

Now running Sys Def 5,1

Removed A couple lines from org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Code:
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
Having removed these two lines has dramatically improved the system and graphics performance.

Additional edit/
Running at 2560x1440 resolution also improves graphics lag. 4K 60hz works fine with one screen and one desktop environment but when running multiple desktops at anything above 2560x1440 lag is persistent. I think it is an important note for anyone wanting to get a 4K screen. It's beautiful upgrade but the drivers aren't ready yet to really enjoy the experience in a robust workflow. So, I hope people have a chance to read this post before spending several hundred dollars on a 4K screen and a graphics card to drive it.

Update: 2015.01.21
Had the opportunity to do some testing with 2 other cards, Radeon 6850 and Radeon 6870
Both of these cards are old, The 6850 is from 2011 and the 6870 is from 2012.
Both cards have Display Port and HDMi out.
Both of these cards performed way more smoothly than my GTX-770.
Final Cut X works equally well in both environments
From Display Port 2560x1440 is no problem and very nice and smooth but full 4K was a no go.
I tested both cards with dual monitors Display 1 at 2560x1440 and Display 2 at 1080p
Radeon 6850 $100
Radeon 6870 $120
GTX-770 - $650
Pretty disappointing to learn how poor the nVidia card works compared to these others in the OSX environment.

Update: 2015-01-25
Permanent fix: i replaced the card with a Radeon R9 290x
Using Chimera and GE=No and a 6850 for the second monitor

Last edited:
I also tried:

Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.disable

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

This did nothing.

Minor additional notes.

I left in all the work with strikethroughs to show the process i went through.

I have always known that cpu states was not originally meant for x58 boards like mine but I had never before now noticed a performance difference. On this board with cpu states enabled in Yosemite, once the cpu states lower themselves they do not seem to want to come back up to speed except when forced. So I'm just going to leave the system to run at full speed all the time. Power consumption isn't an issue for me anyway.

Also attached are my multibeast settings:
Notice system def and pstates config
Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.08 PM.png

And on a totally unrelated note: Handbrake now with H.265. :headbang::clap::clap::clap::headbang:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.55.08 PM.png
    118 KB · Views: 811
So just for ****s and giggles I went down to the Apple store and found that the brand new iMac has the same graphics lag as my system. I was kinda hoping it was my system because then I could probably find and fix the issue. But it seems the issue is in software, drivers or something in that realm which leaves with no options but to wait for an update tha will hopefully come soon.

Thank you Beelzebozo for joining me. I was feeling very lonely here for a long time.
You raised a very good point.
This lag irritated me so much that iI did fire up windows for the first time in years to test exactly this question. And the answer is, there is absolutely no lag whatsoever running 4k in windows 7 or 8. I am confident after exhaustive testing on my machine and real Macs it is aabsolutely an osx issue.

Even my ****ty little phone can shoot and display 4k without lag.
I think it is because 4k is new and driver development is behind, it may or may not be intentional on Apple's part. I remember having similar issues back in 2009 with graphics on osx when 1080p was mostly new. The issue will drive sales of new computers and video cards, so as I mentioned it is possibly intentional, never underestimate greed as a driver for sh*tty performance issues.

Here's some more company! I am not sure if my issue is related, though, I have a different setup, I am just responding to the title. I noticed since updating to 10.10.01 that I am having graphics and audio sync problems, most notable on Youtube where the sound is badly out of sync with the video. I am not sure what is going on at this stage, I have yet to experiment, I might try changing framebuffer personalities, I have been using Aji to date, but I am open to all suggestions!

Please try:
Make a new user, (admin).
Logout - log back in as new user.
Install Chrome, (temporarily), because it does not require additional flash plugins...
Try youtube again.
Report back.

In this way we can isolate if it is issues with install, user, OS, hardware, system id...

I have parred down my config.plist to a minimum, relying largely on the defaults using clover configurator, leaving out enabling the C states and leaving out the generate P states and C states. The lag has now gone, sound and video are in sync.

I am also able to go back to calling my PC iMac13,2 in the smbios section of my Clover config.plist without flash plugin crashes that came with 10.10.01; up until now, without changing the smbios section of the plist to say MacPro6,1 in 10.10.01, even on Firefox the plugin was failing, albeit it was marginally less prone to fail than in Safari.

Rabbit74, this is exactly what I've been looking for, since that unfortunate decision to upgrade to Yosemite, so very long ago... so frustrating was this! I applaud your strategy & diligence. Thank you, thank you for sticking it out and finding the root cause. This will indeed change my world a bit for the better!! Cheers, Jadik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back