Contribute
Register

Yosemite frequently freezes when clicking on items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Socket LGA 1150 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz Socket 1150 8MB L3 Cache
Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 SuperClocked GAMING 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello All, this is my first post and I'm a noob to the Hackintosh world! I did search for the same problem but none that I found were identical, though I can't say I checked every page of search results!!

My friend who is a dab hand at building PC's put mine together for me after I considered buying a new Mac Pro for my music production. Anyhow, the computer is great and runs perfectly other than a few annoying niggles.

The biggest issue I have is a complete freeze of the system when I click on buttons, knobs (music production, you twist a lot of instrument knobs within the software!!), applications etc. It's completely random, the system could be working fine all night, and then one double click on a slider or button can freeze the computer and I have to hold down the power button to shut down the machine and start again! I don't know if this is coincidental, but it appears to do it mostly when I first fire up the computer at the beginning of my studio session. Within the first 10 minutes today, it has frozen roughly 3 times, and a further 2 or 3 more times later on. Does anyone have any ideas? Luckily my production software has an autosave feature so it's not too much of an issue, just really annoying as it interrupts my flow when writing new music.

I have also noticed that it occasionally freezes if left alone, unattended for a period of time, and also sometimes when transferring items from one folder to another/or external storage device when the transfer progress bar is working it's way to completion.

My friend who built it seems to think it could be related to the graphics card, but we have both been too busy to sit down and try to iron out the bugs, so I thought I'd register here and try and find the solution over the Christmas period as I'd like to finish off my new music :)

The graphics card is an EVGA GTX 750 SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz Socket 1150 8MB L3 Cache

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Socket LGA 1150

Running OSX: Yosemite 10.10.4

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I forgot to mention that I installed using Unibeast.

Last edited:
Easy trouble shooting would be to remove the GPU and run off the IGP. See if that fixes things.

Just to be sure, you have installed the Nvidia web drivers and are booting with nvda_drv=1?

I believe so, ultimately I need to check with the guy that initially built it for me. Though, when I checked the Nvidea driver manager within OSX, it was set to using Nvidea drivers downloaded from the internet, rather than using the driver provided by OSX.

I'm meeting up with him on Monday so hopefully we can try what you have suggested and remove the GPU! That was his first suggestion, switch back to the onboard Intel graphics, see if that stops the freezing.

Thanks for this, entering 'nvda_drv=1' appears to be the solution!

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back