Contribute
Register

Yosemite + Focusrite Pro 40 + Saffier MixControl + PCI Firewire = Boot hang? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX 10.10
CPU
Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Boot up hanging after PCI initialization, Focusrite Saffire Mixcontrol issue?

Had a functioning build for about 2 months, then starting getting random KP's 4 mins after everything was working stable. Decided to start over fresh because I had some stuff installed that I didn't want anymore / figured might be causing the issue. I followed this guide for the OSX install and Multibeast part both times. First time (back in December 2014) was up in a no time with no KP's or hang on booth, now it's giving me trouble.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...7x-ud7-th-i7-4790k-32gb-gtx-770-10-9-4-a.html)

I'm able to get everything functioning up until I need to install a driver for my Focusrite Pro 40's. I'll install the MixControl software (which installs the driver too) and it will restart once it's done, only on the next boot it hangs after initializing the firewire card.

here is my build and a screenshot of the read out (first one I had some USB devices plugged in and it got stuck in a different place than the second screen shot, thought it might be useful)

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
GeFroce GTX 760
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
SYBA SD-PEX30009

thought it might be useful) I've read in a few posts from a year or two back that downgradeing to Chimera 1.4.1 helped a few people or switching to Chameleon instead helped. Also thought about switching over to Clover instead. But just find it interesting that I was able to use this method last time and have it working flawless. Maybe something changed in Multibeast / Chimera?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 203
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 202
Had this issue for almost a a week straight. Don't know how it got fixed exactly but here are the things I tried today that got me up and running.

1.I reset everything in my BIOS, changed my wireless KB / Mouse back to wired ones. Redid my BIOs according to this thread (
[Progress] GA-Z97X-UD7 TH / i7 4790K / 32GB / GTX 770 / 10.9.4). In addition to this I turned off thunderbolt. This sped up load times for installing and OSX hugely. I hadn't done this before because my BIOs would freeze anytime I tried to go into classic view (I think part of it was due to my wireless KB).

2. Referring back to the thread in step one, I did almost all the same multibeast settings except I skipped over USB 3.0 for now, though I might go back in and add it back in despite my 3.0 externals being recognized.

3. After installing MixControl 3.5 from Focusrite but before restarting, I rebuilt the kernel / kext cache with:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
This seemed to be the big step I was missing, but it didn't solve all my issues.

4. Still more to do....After my system froze restarting, I powered off the system, connected my pro 40's back up and turned one of them on. Booted up and everything connected fine. Connected both my external WD 1TBs and went in to do a time machine backup and got a KP. Kept getting KPs on boot. Disconnected all drives and booted into safe mode, first time KP. Second time got in fine.

5. Rebuilt the kernel cache again, figured that after the mandatory restart from the mixcontrol software it might have added something that wasn't there after the first time. Finally was able to boot up without any hangs or KPs after that one.

6. At this point both Pro 40's were still turned off. Someone had suggested to try and turn them on after the system had booted up, so I tried that after logging in and both were recognized and connected just fine. (DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS YOUR CARD AND DEVICE SUPPORTS HOT SWAP FIREWIRE, YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR DEVICES / MOBO / FIREWIRE CARD DOING THIS IF IT'S NOT SUPPORTED)

Very, very, very confusing. But I really think the major change that helped was turning off thunderbolt and rebuilding the kernel cache TWICE. Once right after installing MixControl and a second time in safe mode after a successful boot. I'm hoping this stays stable as I try to install my CUDA drivers for my GTX 760 CARD and get Logic Pro up and running again. Though I'm wondering if maybe either my USB 3.0 Hub or one of my external HDDs could be causing issues now.

Needless to say, I feel slightly a bit more crazy then I did a week ago. :crazy::lolno::banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back