Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I just used CCC 4.1.4 to make a clone of my Yosemite drive. I want to have a fully bootable clone before installing latest version and/or upgrading to El Capitan.

After the process completed I tried to boot up, but Clover wouldn't load and I was thrown into BIOS. I went through all BIOS setting to ensure that nothing changed and even switched back to my existing Yosemite HDD and it boots fine.

I thought CCC made a 1-1 clone of the entire drive, so I am really stumped why the drive won't boot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I just used CCC 4.1.4 to make a clone of my Yosemite drive. I want to have a fully bootable clone before installing latest version and/or upgrading to El Capitan.

After the process completed I tried to boot up, but Clover wouldn't load and I was thrown into BIOS. I went through all BIOS setting to ensure that nothing changed and even switched back to my existing Yosemite HDD and it boots fine.

I thought CCC made a 1-1 clone of the entire drive, so I am really stumped why the drive won't boot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,
To be able to boot from the CCC backup:
1/ Target disk should be formated as GID not FAT
(If not CCC will warn you)
2/ You should have installed a bootloader on this disk (i.e. Clover or Chamelon)
If not it should be booted from the other disk (menu) or an USB key

Nothing abnormal in the problem that you described.

Hello,
To be able to boot from the CCC backup:
1/ Target disk should be formated as GID not FAT
(If not CCC will warn you)
2/ You should have installed a bootloader on this disk (i.e. Clover or Chamelon)
If not it should be booted from the other disk (menu) or an USB key

Nothing abnormal in the problem that you described.

Ok, so then I need to Re-install Clover on the new drive? Is there a way to clone the Clover EFI then so that I don't have to go through all the setup all over again. If I remember, I had a heck of time getting all my devices working correctly, especially sound. I also have a custom Clover Theme installed so I would like to be able to copy that over instead of having to redo it.

Thanks.

Ok, so I was able to mount the EFI partition on new drive using EFI Mounter and copied my EFI folder from the original drive to the new cloned drive. Am now booted up using the new drive and everything seems to work. Audio, internet, etc.

The only thing I noticed that didn't work is that I had customized my Clover to auto boot the hard drive and that didn't work for some reason. But I suspect that may be due to the name of the new hard drive being different. Will have to investigate that further.

Thanks.

Ok, so then I need to Re-install Clover on the new drive? Is there a way to clone the Clover EFI then so that I don't have to go through all the setup all over again. If I remember, I had a heck of time getting all my devices working correctly, especially sound. I also have a custom Clover Theme installed so I would like to be able to copy that over instead of having to redo it.

Thanks.
Mount the EFI partition on your main drive.
Copy the EFI folder there to desktop.
Un-mount the EFI partition
Connect the drive for the clone
Run CCC to create the clone of your drive
Run the Clover installer pointed at the clone drive - it will mount the EFI partition when finished
Replace the EFI folder in the clone EFI partition with the one from desktop
To test, reboot
At POST, hit hot key to select boot device
Select the clone drive from the HDD list to boot from
If it boots to Clover screen you have success

Thanks. Yes I was able to copy the EFI folder from my original EFI partition and was able to boot into the new drive. Unfortunately once I ran 10.10.5 update via App store my system would no longer boot up. The monitors would go sleep as if the system was off. Glad I cloned the drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back