Contribute
Register

[Yosemite] Audio works perfectly when there is media being played, periodic "popping" when nothing i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Custom
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My build works perfectly except one issue:
When playing any media with sound, it performs flawlessly and sounds great. However, after there has been no media playing for ~15 seconds, a periodic clicking/popping noise starts and does not go away until you start playing some other media.

I have an MSI Z77A-GD55 with Realtek ALC892 and I am using Clover. I originally installed audio drivers by using Multibeast and selecting the ALC892 option. After updating to 10.10.1 to get the native AppleHDA.kext, I attempted to fix the issue by using the "clover ALC" patch method. However, the problem persists. Any ideas? It's not a huge issue since I normally have music playing in the background anyway but it does get pretty darn annoying when I don't want to play anything.

Thanks!

I've resolved same issue with stupidest and straight approach: make my sound card play music in loop.

1) take any sound file.
2) write shell script, let's call it audio_fix.sh. It will play silent (volume == 0) music in infinite loop.

-----
#!/bin/sh

while true; do
echo Playing silence...;
afplay -v 0 /Extra/farewell.mp3;
done
-----

Make script executable (chmod a+x audio_fix.sh) and put to, say /Extra/ folder. Test it before - just run and see if you sound issues gone.

3) Configure this script to run on system boot (create com.muryk.audio_fix.plist and put to /Library/LaunchAgents)

com.muryk.audio_fix.plist:
--------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Program</key>
<string>/Extra/audio_fix.sh</string>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.muryk.audio_fix</string>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
------------

(you may probably need to perform "sudo chown root:wheel com.muryk.audio_fix.plist" first)

4.Reboot.

That's it

Z68/10.10/ALC889/Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back