Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. LC
  4. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I have an older machine (Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3, Intel i5) run Mavericks and created my own fusion drive as my startup drive. I decided to try and upgrade to Yosemite using the excellent instructions online here, and did not realize (and did not research. D'oh!) that things would not go smoothly with a fusion drive in the mix. Fortunately, I did make a complete, bootable backup on a secondary hard drive, so after making several different attempts at moving up to Yosemite using the usual methods here and failing, I booted onto my backup, and copied the backup back to my primary fusion drive. The machine reboots into Mavericks again, and I'm back in business.

Since I do have a secondary, non-fusion drive with enough space for a full backup, I'm wondering what you think would be my best/easiest method of taking my fusion drive up to Yosemite. I *think* I need to use the latest Chimera and upgrade the fusion's two volumes with the newer drivers, and then do the upgrade. However, I also think it might work better to install Yosemite onto my backup drive, and then copy that drive onto my boot drive, after verifying that the new drive will boot. Where I don't want to be is with a non-bootable machine and no viable backups.

I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of those of you that have already been down this fusion-upgrade path. Thanks!

--> John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back