Contribute
Register

Yoga 720 try out High Sierra (issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge on this laptop. I am about to buy this one and would love to hear your experience after some time? Can it be used as working tool? Is it stable? How do the screen and pen work?
Also, is there a preferable model that has better compatibility?
I am pointing on this model:
Lenovo Yoga 720 15.6" 4K UHD IPS Touch-Screen Ultrabook, Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, Thunderbolt, -Win10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M22XK8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks

So to your questions, I'm working with the yoga 720 13 and 720 15 ikb and what I can say it's stable.
There are little issues with the yoga, but I think this ones can also be solved.
Touchscreen and Pen are also working fine, so thanks to the voodooi2c team.

Each notebook is other and has other acpi tables.

To the little issues:

Displayport is working but only when you plugin the display by starting up the machine.
Also after sleeping you need to do an ecc reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
I think this issue which I bring up by patching my notebook. But for me it's not a problem.

You need to replace the wireless lan chip with a capable one.
best Regards

Hey everyone, I have been researching doing this to my Yoga 720 laptop but I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to this. I've prepared my USB stick with Unibeast and also configured my Bios settings to the correct ones but I cannot get the installer to boot. I always get the black screen with either what i believe is a kernel panic saying system uptime in nanoseconds or couldn't allocate runtime Boot failed sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting. I tried editing my config.plist file to match the information within this thread but it will result in the same outcome or I'll receive the Apple Logo followed by an X symbol. If anyone can offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. P.S My Yoga 720 has the 4K display, i don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone, I have been researching doing this to my Yoga 720 laptop but I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to this. I've prepared my USB stick with Unibeast and also configured my Bios settings to the correct ones but I cannot get the installer to boot. I always get the black screen with either what i believe is a kernel panic saying system uptime in nanoseconds or couldn't allocate runtime Boot failed sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting. I tried editing my config.plist file to match the information within this thread but it will result in the same outcome or I'll receive the Apple Logo followed by an X symbol. If anyone can offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. P.S My Yoga 720 has the 4K display, i don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:

I found out that the fn-key remap in Yoga 720 is same with the fn-key remap in my ideapad 510s. Can you please share your modified kext for your laptop?
Thanks

So to your questions, I'm working with the yoga 720 13 and 720 15 ikb and what I can say it's stable.
There are little issues with the yoga, but I think this ones can also be solved.
Touchscreen and Pen are also working fine, so thanks to the voodooi2c team.

Each notebook is other and has other acpi tables.

To the little issues:

Displayport is working but only when you plugin the display by starting up the machine.
Also after sleeping you need to do an ecc reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
I think this issue which I bring up by patching my notebook. But for me it's not a problem.

You need to replace the wireless lan chip with a capable one.
best Regards

Thank you thefiredragon for your reply. So I should not be afraid of getting uncapatible ssd drive in some configuration? The one I’m about to buy is 80X7001SUS.

Also do you know already about thunderbolt3 port? Is it working? (I know about plugging the device before the start up), but it’s ok for me. I’d like to use egpu (nvidia). Should it work? Also considering that I need to disable onboard nvidia graphics.

And regarding the pen - it works the same like on windows? I mean it’s not limited in precision, pressure etc? Can it be used for real graphic production?
Thanks again

The more important question is,
anyone has infamous black line issue on yoga 720 15' with UHD 4k displays?
it looks very spread and not yet solved by lenovo.
may be it's better to buy the refreshed 730 model? it should work with i7 8550U right?

Success here on Yoga 720 15"!
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
SSD: Samsung PM961 512 GB NVMe (Working OOTB in High Sierra)
GPU: Intel HD 630 (IntelGraphicsDVMTFixUp)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 (NVIDIA disabled via nv_disable=1)
WiFi: BCM4352 (FakePCIID + BrcmPatchRAM2 + AirportBrcmFixUp)
Audio: Realtek ALC236 (AppleALC + FakePCIID)
Trackpad: ELAN0651 I2C (VoodooI2C)
Touch Screen: WCOM50FC I2C (VoodooI2C)

I also got a Yoga 720 15", but model 720-15IKB (80X70041GE), with these slightly different specs:
CPU: i5-7300HQ
SSD: 256 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

I tried a whole day but gave up. The whole install-boot situation was very instable and a question of luck instead of a deterministic reproducable situation, like computing normally is. (I have more than 25 years of IT and hacking experience). The furthest success I had, was getting through the installer-booting process in verbose mode, arriving in GUI mode and getting stuck in the screen which shows visual instructions to "attach a bluetooth mouse and activate it".

I'd appreciate detailed help. I for one provide in detail what I have attempted so far:

• Sometimes the USB 3.0 HDD installer boot disk showed up in the F12 boot menu, sometimes not. (Ok, this is a timing problem, but still annoying).
    • I used a HDD, which holds multiple bootable OS installer partitions, among them a 10.12.6 and a 10.13.4, both created with UniBeast. But of course there's only one EFI partition. So I later erased EFI and both macOS bootable partitions, and installed only one of them, to rule out that EFI and macOS bootable partition did not match together.
  • I'm not sure whether my BIOS settings are 100% correct:
    • STEP 3: Recommended BIOS Settings is of course generically written.
    • I'd appreciate how that corresponds exactly to the settings available on the Lenovo Yoga 720, which features a "InsydeH2O BIOS".
    • I did additional research and interpretation, tried to get as close to the instructions as possible, but some settings were best guesses.
  • Sometimes Clover loaded, sometimes not, sometimes crashed (sudden reboot, or only an empty prompt remained, or some strange mix of text output and Lenovo boot logo)
    • Sometimes Clover got aborted, if you did not reach your your desired menu item in a certain time, or accessed it with the wrong arrow-key-sequences.
    • Btw in Clover the USB mouse and keyboard always worked.
  • For creating the boot media I had uncertainties which UniBeast for which macOS version:
  • I used UniBeast 7.1.1 to create a Sierra 10.12.6 bootdisk
  • I used UniBeast 8.3.2 to create a High Sierra 10.13.4 bootdisk. It did not offer to choose Sierra, although that was under /Applications .
  • Is the UniBeast 7.x series for Sierra only, and the UniBeast 8.x series for High Sierra only? It was not documented anywhere explicitly, but I had to assume so.
  • Also I saw that you provided a customized config.plist and kexts.zip
  • As a hackintosh newbie, I also failed in that regard.
  • As you mentioned that you integrated your hacks upstream, I first assumed those files got already integrated in the newest UniBeast installers. But after the failed boots in various permutations, I was not too sure about that anymore, therefore tried UniBeast fresh /EFI/ and then yours.
  • But also in that regard, I did not know what's the right approach.
  • Replace the /EFI/kext/ entirely with yours, or merge your files into the existing /EFI/kexts/ structures, which Unibeast had created?
  • Config.plist must obviously be replaced. I simply renamed the original to config-unibeast.plist
    • Later discovered that in Clover Settings menu, you can even dynamically switch between config* files. But did not try that.
  • When I had gone until the "attach bluetooth mighty mouse screen" I tried plugging an external mouse and keyboard. Hotplugging failed. On my next boot attempts, I tried with mouse/keyboard plugged from boot-start on. But also this was a game of luck. It even seemed to matter in which USB port was the bootdisk and in which the input external devices. The right USB 3.0 Type A port seemed to work best for the boot medium.
  • In Clover I always used SPACE to select a boot medium, and then checked the boot flags, always used verbose mode (to see where I get stuck) and set the Nvidia to VESA. Then chose "boot with chosen options" (or similarly named, cannot recall now and have no access to the Yoga 720 currently). There were also other options, like to boot with or without kext injections. Also tried the booting with kext injection. But again I had guessed that if I used a modified /EFI/kexts they would automatically be considered for injection. Or must that be specified in the Clover boot dialog? But as we have a config.plist, I thought this takes care of all the boot parameters and kext injections.
  • All together so many permutations, that mere trial and error deductions are fairly impossible.
  • I plan to return the Yoga 720, and get the better variant, with 512GB SSD, GTX 1050 with 4GB VRAM, and i7-7700HQ CPU. Will this maybe solve it? Or will I have the same issues?
Hopefully some of you guys can help me. I very likely have misconceptions about some of the involved principles.

Last edited:

I also got a Yoga 720 15", but model 720-15IKB (80X70041GE), with these slightly different specs:
CPU: i5-7300HQ
SSD: 256 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

I tried a whole day but gave up. The whole install-boot situation was very instable and a question of luck instead of a deterministic reproducable situation, like computing normally is. (I have more than 25 years of IT and hacking experience). The furthest success I had, was getting through the installer-booting process in verbose mode, arriving in GUI mode and getting stuck in the screen which shows visual instructions to "attach a bluetooth mouse and activate it".

I'd appreciate detailed help. I for one provide in detail what I have attempted so far:

• Sometimes the USB 3.0 HDD installer boot disk showed up in the F12 boot menu, sometimes not. (Ok, this is a timing problem, but still annoying).
    • I used a HDD, which holds multiple bootable OS installer partitions, among them a 10.12.6 and a 10.13.4, both created with UniBeast. But of course there's only one EFI partition. So I later erased EFI and both macOS bootable partitions, and installed only one of them, to rule out that EFI and macOS bootable partition did not match together.
  • I'm not sure whether my BIOS settings are 100% correct:
    • STEP 3: Recommended BIOS Settings is of course generically written.
    • I'd appreciate how that corresponds exactly to the settings available on the Lenovo Yoga 720, which features a "InsydeH2O BIOS".
    • I did additional research and interpretation, tried to get as close to the instructions as possible, but some settings were best guesses.
  • Sometimes Clover loaded, sometimes not, sometimes crashed (sudden reboot, or only an empty prompt remained, or some strange mix of text output and Lenovo boot logo)
    • Sometimes Clover got aborted, if you did not reach your your desired menu item in a certain time, or accessed it with the wrong arrow-key-sequences.
    • Btw in Clover the USB mouse and keyboard always worked.
  • For creating the boot media I had uncertainties which UniBeast for which macOS version:
  • I used UniBeast 7.1.1 to create a Sierra 10.12.6 bootdisk
  • I used UniBeast 8.3.2 to create a High Sierra 10.13.4 bootdisk. It did not offer to choose Sierra, although that was under /Applications .
  • Is the UniBeast 7.x series for Sierra only, and the UniBeast 8.x series for High Sierra only? It was not documented anywhere explicitly, but I had to assume so.
  • Also I saw that you provided a customized config.plist and kexts.zip
  • As a hackintosh newbie, I also failed in that regard.
  • As you mentioned that you integrated your hacks upstream, I first assumed those files got already integrated in the newest UniBeast installers. But after the failed boots in various permutations, I was not too sure about that anymore, therefore tried UniBeast fresh /EFI/ and then yours.
  • But also in that regard, I did not know what's the right approach.
  • Replace the /EFI/kext/ entirely with yours, or merge your files into the existing /EFI/kexts/ structures, which Unibeast had created?
  • Config.plist must obviously be replaced. I simply renamed the original to config-unibeast.plist
    • Later discovered that in Clover Settings menu, you can even dynamically switch between config* files. But did not try that.
  • When I had gone until the "attach bluetooth mighty mouse screen" I tried plugging an external mouse and keyboard. Hotplugging failed. On my next boot attempts, I tried with mouse/keyboard plugged from boot-start on. But also this was a game of luck. It even seemed to matter in which USB port was the bootdisk and in which the input external devices. The right USB 3.0 Type A port seemed to work best for the boot medium.
  • In Clover I always used SPACE to select a boot medium, and then checked the boot flags, always used verbose mode (to see where I get stuck) and set the Nvidia to VESA. Then chose "boot with chosen options" (or similarly named, cannot recall now and have no access to the Yoga 720 currently). There were also other options, like to boot with or without kext injections. Also tried the booting with kext injection. But again I had guessed that if I used a modified /EFI/kexts they would automatically be considered for injection. Or must that be specified in the Clover boot dialog? But as we have a config.plist, I thought this takes care of all the boot parameters and kext injections.
  • All together so many permutations, that mere trial and error deductions are fairly impossible.
  • I plan to return the Yoga 720, and get the better variant, with 512GB SSD, GTX 1050 with 4GB VRAM, and i7-7700HQ CPU. Will this maybe solve it? Or will I have the same issues?
Hopefully some of you guys can help me. I very likely have misconceptions about some of the involved principles.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Hey guys. I would like to ask your opinion considering the new Yoga 730.
In my country they are already available, and the price diffrence is so minor, so 730 is complete winner.
I understand that until someone tries it, it's hard to discuss it's compatibility.
But what do you think, should it have problems?
the specs are very similar.
It has i7 8550u cpu, that seems to be working with macOS, I do not know the brand of pci-e m.2 ssd that's gonna be, there is a chance that one will be incompatible?
and since it has wacom digitizer (i've seen in in drivers page of lenovo website) on the touch screen, it should be the same like 720 with no problems of compatibility in macOS, voodooI2C and so on?
anything else that i should be aware about? i can ask in the store more details about the hardware..
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back