Contribute
Register

Yes, yet another G5 case, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, this mod has been on the back burner for a while but should get some bits done in the next few weeks.

I have just ordered my motherboard (B75M-D3P), PSU (Corsair CX500) and optical drive (Sony).

My next problem is fans - a bit confused.

I would like to know if the Power Mac G5 fans can be connected to the system fan header on the motherboard (front and rear fans by CPU) and controlled by PWM? (I've read posts but still not sure) I would be looking to connect them using this - http://www.quietpc.com/gel-pwm-1-4-pwmcable , with all the other fans (x5) running at 5volts. Would this work???

Still waiting on sockets for a rear I/O.

One last question for now is can the original Power Mac speaker be connected to the motherboard for onboard sound, which then disconnects when a front or rear jack port is used?

Cheers for the help so far.

Those fans need to be rewired to work with an ATX motherboard and most likely those adapters will not work right, also those G5 fans even at 5v are very loud. There are some wiring guides on this if you want to try to convert them.

The G5 speaker can be connected to the motherboard off the audio header but that speaker is mono so there are only two wires coming off of it, positive and negative. You would have to use the Audio ground and then both right + and left +. Plus when you do this you have to manually switch your audio input outputs when using them, so if you plug a headphone jack in the front panel you will need to manually switch to it via system preferences and shut off the internal speaker.

I used the G5 speaker but only as the motherboard post speaker not as a main audio source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back