Contribute
Register

yangbao111's Powermac G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your reply. I am very happy with the results and always think to get a brand new G5 case to put this mod in. Then it would be perfect. :)

Selection_023.png

nice work..where is the power supply ?

nice work..where is the power supply ?

Thanks. I Transplanted a corsair SF450 into the original G5 PSU enclosure. SF450 is super tiny, so it's very easy to do the job.

You can check Goftrey's video to see how get it done.

psu.jpg

Thanks. I Transplanted a corsair SF450 into the original G5 PSU enclosure. SF450 is super tiny, so it's very easy to do the job.

awesome,the psu is hidden away,i like it.

man! great job, how did you managed not to cut the back? Where are IO? :O

I also did G5 mod, i'll try to publish my work soon in Case mod section soon...

man! great job, how did you managed not to cut the back? Where are IO? :O

I also did G5 mod, i'll try to publish my work soon in Case mod section soon...

Hi, TheKerimek, Thank you for your comments. I think some people may have the same question so I will illustrate it here.

My goal is that I will not cut the back. So all the IO I need is USB, wifi, video and audio.

This image shows how I achieve that goal.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 12.28.08 PM.png

However, I found I can not put my motherboard(H170N-wifi) in place because two reasons.

1. Some part of the motherboard are too tall. They are in the way of rear fan case. To resolve this problem, I have to

A. Remove the piece of metal that protect the wifi-M.2 card. I believe once I put everything together, I do not need that.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 11.59.13 AM.png
B. The audio ports module are too tall. So I cut the top two ports off can tape it with electrical insulation tape.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 12.16.44 PM.png

2. The wifi antenna holder is too long and it is against the rear G5 chassis. But I do need the antenna holder, so I relocate it to the standoff on the laser hive tray.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 12.09.29 PM.png

That's all the methods I used to achieve my no-cut G5 mod goal. Everything I have to remove or cut is just a slightly long or tall. I need to point out that I used the laser hive motherboard tray. So the position could be different if you use other tray to hold your motherboard.

If you guys have any more questions, you are welcome to ask.

Last edited:
H Yangbao,
where is to buy the Plexi-Mainboard-Tray?

H Yangbao,
where is to buy the Plexi-Mainboard-Tray?

If you are talking about laser hive product, you can contact them via email ([email protected]>)

They shipped it from England to USA for total £37 delivered (tray + shipping).

Excellent job!
Now I am thinking about the same mod :), but in our region, there are no suitable cases.

This is a thing of beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back