2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
kudos to:

Snazzylabs: $682 Skylake Mac Mini Hackintosh

Goftrey: The PowerPC Hub's Power Mac G5 Hackintosh Build

ammulder: El Capitan on the GA-H170N-WIFI

Plan:

It's been years after I installed OS X on a PC using PearPC. I own a 2010 13 inch MBP and a mid 2011 Mac Mini. I changed the HD to SSD and add Ram for both Mac. So far they are still running well. However, I find the temperature is too hot when I am watching Youtube. When I see Geoffrey's G5 mod I was shocked. The Mod looks so perfect. I want to copy this mod.

Components:

I have to admit I made several mistakes when I bought some components. For example I bought a i7 6700k with a H170N motherboard.

- 6 pin 90 degree connector for the power to video card
- SATA power extension cable
- Late 2005 Power Mac G5 in good condition
- 1x Molex to 4x 5V Fan Splitter x2
- LaserHive Motherboard tray
- 2003 G5 Front IO Cable
- GA-H170N-WIFI
- Core i7 6700k
- Zalman FX70 passive cooler
- Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (Red)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC
- Dell Wireless, M.2, DW1560
- Samsung 850 Evo 500G
- Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 2T
- DVD burner (Old, from Dell)
- Corsair SF Series SF450
- 4x Arctic F9 92mm fans (CPU intake/exhaust)
- 2x Gelid Silent 6 60mm fans (PSU intake)
- 1x Arctic F8 80mm fan (PCI intake)
- Brand New G5 keyboard
- Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse

Benchmark:
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 9.15.43 PM.png

The Mod:

The goal is mod without cutting the external case and keep the G5 as stock as possible. And I did it.

It's super cool when I watch youtube.
temp.JPG

This is a late 2005 powermac G5. Overall it looks nice. Except there's a scratch at the top feet.
IMG_4973.jpg

I cover it with my ssd barcode sticker. $60, local picked up.
IMG_4975.jpg

This is my mod G5. With plastic cover on.
IMG_4982.jpg

No cut at all from out side view!!!
IMG_4978.jpg

Some notes:

1. In order to keep everything looks stock, I need to cut off two audio ports on the motherboard. Because they are in the way of rear fans. I only use displayport/hdmi for the audio, so it's fine with me.

2. The bluetooth signal is very weak. It can only work within 50 cm range. I am using MX master mouse. It comes with a dongle which I inserted to the usb port in my G5 keyboard. The wifi signal is very strong though.

Last edited:
Take off the plastic over, there is a big G5 logo on the heatsink cover. Love it!
IMG_5017.jpg

Let's start from top, the hard driver. I made the sata power cable. and used a 2.5 to 3.5 disk bracket from eBay.
IMG_5007.jpg

The GTX 950. and two USB 3.0 ports bracket.
IMG_5006.jpg

Last edited:
Front view of motherboard part with cover on.
IMG_5012.jpg

Guys, this is what's behind the cover. I admit I can do it better in terms of cable management. But I just get tired and I can sleep well with this.
IMG_5001.jpg

This is the Zalman FX70 heatsink.
IMG_5004.jpg

Last edited:
The wifi module on the motherboard is in the way of rear fans. So I took it off and screw it to the standoff on the laser hive tray. And I put the wifi antenna to the stock G5 wifi case on the back of the chassis.
IMG_5000.jpg

I replace the front panel with 2003 G5 panel.
IMG_5014.jpg

That's all. Everybody. I am so happy with my mod and I believe it can runs for a few years without update.

Last edited:
Well it looks beautiful. Well done! :)

Getting the 2005 G5 and 2003 front panel hereabouts would be very unlikely, but seems like a great choice. Your work is superb!

Are there fans in the original front plastic housing in the main compartment? IF so, are they the stock G5 fans, or did you fit new fans in? And could we see pictures and/or details of wiring?

Are there fans in the original front plastic housing in the main compartment? IF so, are they the stock G5 fans, or did you fit new fans in? And could we see pictures and/or details of wiring?

Yes. I put 2 Arctic F9 92mm fans in the original front plastic housing. they are powered by PSU, connected with molex to 4 way 3 pin fan splitter cable. You can get it from eBay.

molex.jpg

The way I connect the fans is below. But I do not use it now (Winter time). I think the 4 fans plus the big heatsink is overkill. 4 fans are too loud for me even they are running at 5V. I only use the rear fans and the CPU temp is alway below 30C.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 11.52.10 AM.png

Pretty much speechless right now.
Aside the fact that I've always loved G5 mods (have done one on my own couple years ago) - this has to be by far the cleanest and most aesthetic mod I've seen by now.

Thanks for sharing @yangbao111 (!!)

Wow, what a flawless mod! Would love more pics of the internals to see what hackery you used to pull this off.

Pretty much speechless right now.
Aside the fact that I've always loved G5 mods (have done one on my own couple years ago) - this has to be by far the cleanest and most aesthetic mod I've seen by now.

Thanks for sharing @yangbao111 (!!)

Wow, what a flawless mod! Would love more pics of the internals to see what hackery you used to pull this off.

Thank you for your reply. I am very happy with the results and always think to get a brand new G5 case to put this mod in. Then it would be perfect. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back