Contribute
Register

XPS 9700 audio - Comet Lake PCH cAVS, any chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thewhoareyou

Are you undervolting? That yields some extra battery life.
I'm not, wasn't sure if it would require any bios changes. Shouldn't we be able to get closer to the battery life in Windows without undervolting since Windows is using the graphics card and MacOS isn't? I think Windows seems to idle at a lower frequency.

@thewhoareyou

Have you generated CPUFriendFriend yourself, and updated to latest CPUFriend? But anyways, believe me, undervolt. It's worth it. You just need to use an efi file to boot into a GRUB shell from OpenCore's tools, and then clear two memory addresses. Not that big of a deal, and you unlock undervolting.

@thewhoareyou

Have you generated CPUFriendFriend yourself, and updated to latest CPUFriend? But anyways, believe me, undervolt. It's worth it. You just need to use an efi file to boot into a GRUB shell from OpenCore's tools, and then clear two memory addresses. Not that big of a deal, and you unlock undervolting.
Yes to the former but it still idles around 1.3 Ghz even though I set it to .8. Yeah, I'm gonna wait on undervolting until my warranty expires since I'm running off AC power mostly anyway. Prefer not to mess with those values for now since it's not entirely necessary and probably only giving another 10-20% I'm guessing?

@thewhoareyou

Hard to tell how much it really adds, since I'm also running on AC all the time, lol. And yup, mine also hovers around 1.3 GHz, bummer, 800 MHz would be amazing!

@thewhoareyou

Hard to tell how much it really adds, since I'm also running on AC all the time, lol. And yup, mine also hovers around 1.3 GHz, bummer, 800 MHz would be amazing!
Check my repo for the CPUFriendDataProvider kext if you're interested, got the 800 MHz working. Battery drain is still around 15 watts so I've come to the conclusion that it's the dGPU draining battery despite being in the D3 low power state. If anyone sees this and knowns of a solution I'd love to hear!

@thewhoareyou

Could you please explain how you achieved it now? What was wrong before?

@thewhoareyou

Could you please explain how you achieved it now? What was wrong before?
Ended up using the MacBookAir9,1 SMBIOS data to feed into CPUFriendFriend (manually edited the code slightly to look at the Mac-0CFF9C7C2B63DF8D.plist) and generate the kext. You don't need to change your SMBIOS, just use the new kext.

Hi BlvckBytes, I'm trying to fix audio on my MateBook D15 2020 [i5-10210u, Intel UHD Graphics]. It seems to be a little complicated cause I don't have any Realtek sound card in my system (only comet lake point-lp pch cAVS). can you help me?

Check my repo for the CPUFriendDataProvider kext if you're interested, got the 800 MHz working. Battery drain is still around 15 watts so I've come to the conclusion that it's the dGPU draining battery despite being in the D3 low power state. If anyone sees this and knowns of a solution I'd love to hear!
How are you measuring the 15 watt battery drain?

I used your dGPU-off.aml and in MaciASL I saw that your card is at: _SB_.PCI0.PGOF
- is that your ACPI path for the card?

Windows tells me mine is at _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
- however, when I edit the SSDT to my apparent address, the battery is draining faster than when I used yours.

Any ideas?

How are you measuring the 15 watt battery drain?

I used your dGPU-off.aml and in MaciASL I saw that your card is at: _SB_.PCI0.PGOF
- is that your ACPI path for the card?

Windows tells me mine is at _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
- however, when I edit the SSDT to my apparent address, the battery is draining faster than when I used yours.

Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure my SSDT turns off the card, if you have a 9700 it should work for you. I'm able to get down to a total drain of 12 watts. I think running 8 cores on a 17 inch screen results in a decent amount of drain, though it could be a USB issue keeping me from getting even lower power usage. Measured using coconutBattery.

PGOF is the method that turns the card off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back