Contribute
Register

XPS 17 “Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode” Option Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision M6800
CPU
I7-4800M
Graphics
K3100M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have the XPS 17 9710 with Tiger Lake CPU so i don't expect any Mac os to run on this anytime soon.
Especially with the RTX 3060 that i have.

My questions are somewhat hypothetical though, and regarding the “Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode”

So for future reference, or say this had Pascal dGpu instead, is this “Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode” what people are referring to when they say "certain types of laptops are hackintosh supported with specific type of switchable dedicated gpu"

What i am wondering
(not with this specific laptop per se) is if this mode is what makes supported hackintosh NVidia Dgpu work as opposed to being stuck with nvidia optimus and no chance at all using dgpu in laptop?

Is this what is referred to as a "MUX Switch" ?

I hope i am making sense!

P.S. this is what Dell's definition of this feature is:

Dell calls this switchable-graphics. Disabling this must be done in the bios. If you have switchable graphics disabled, the onboard Intel GPU is not used.
With the "Discrete graphics controller direct output mode" or “Graphics Special Mode”, the external ports (DisplayPorts, HDMI connectors and Thunderbolt/MiniHDMI port) will be driven by the GPU directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back