Contribute
Register

XPS 15 9560 MacOS Catalina 15.1 Full Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - I am a bit lost.. I have installed Catalina successfully, though no sound or ethernet. I attempted to follow the guide and install Clover to the HDD - it didn't like it and said the application wasn't right for this version - but I installed it anyway. Is the HDD supposed to now appear as a boot option? It doesn't. I tried to open the configurator, but have no idea what any of it means. So I tried to install various kexts to enable sound and network, using Kext Wizard. Nothing makes any difference. Have I missed a step here? Where should I be installing Kexts to if not S/L/E?

Hello - I am a bit lost.. I have installed Catalina successfully, though no sound or ethernet. I attempted to follow the guide and install Clover to the HDD - it didn't like it and said the application wasn't right for this version - but I installed it anyway. Is the HDD supposed to now appear as a boot option? It doesn't. I tried to open the configurator, but have no idea what any of it means. So I tried to install various kexts to enable sound and network, using Kext Wizard. Nothing makes any difference. Have I missed a step here? Where should I be installing Kexts to if not S/L/E?
Hey, I believe this is happening because Mac OS is launching from your Clover usb.

Also, the clover EFI Partition doesn't always show up in bios boot options by default. You'll have to add a boot option manually, to do this open BIOS settings (f12 on boot up) locate your ClOVER64.efi and make that the top of your boot sequence. If you have windows installed as well, booting directly into Windows will "commandeer" the boot loader and you'll have to do this again. To avoid this, always boot into windows from the clover boot loader.

IMG_7329.jpg
IMG_7330.jpg

After you've done this, Ive included my kexts folder if you want to try to use those. I have had Catalina running with no errors or unexpected shutdown for a few weeks. (Backup your current kexts folder located at EFI>CLOVER>kexts then replace it with my kexts folder. If you can't see your EFI Partition in Mac OS, mount it with Clover Configurator)

I don't really use Kext Wizard, if you want to keep these kexts up to date use Kext Updater

Let me know if that helped or if you have any more questions.

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Next you will need to install the Catalina Installer to the drive. The command is:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/ MojaveInstallUSB

Hi, thanks for your write up, am following it through now however thought I should point out there's a slight typo in the above.
Code:
 --volume /Volumes/ MojaveInstallUSB
should read
Code:
 --volume /Volumes/MojaveInstallUSB

That extra space causes diskutil to try and format and erase /Volumes/ rather than the USB.

Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for your write up, am following it through now however thought I should point out there's a slight typo in the above.
Code:
 --volume /Volumes/ MojaveInstallUSB
should read
Code:
 --volume /Volumes/MojaveInstallUSB

That extra space causes diskutil to try and format and erase /Volumes/ rather than the USB.

Thanks again!

Fixed! thanks.

Hey, I believe this is happening because Mac OS is launching from your Clover usb.

Also, the clover EFI Partition doesn't always show up in bios boot options by default. You'll have to add a boot option manually, to do this open BIOS settings (f12 on boot up) locate your ClOVER64.efi and make that the top of your boot sequence. If you have windows installed as well, booting directly into Windows will "commandeer" the boot loader and you'll have to do this again. To avoid this, always boot into windows from the clover boot loader.

View attachment 461089View attachment 461090

After you've done this, Ive included my kexts folder if you want to try to use those. I have had Catalina running with no errors or unexpected shutdown for a few weeks. (Backup your current kexts folder located at EFI>CLOVER>kexts then replace it with my kexts folder. If you can't see your EFI Partition in Mac OS, mount it with Clover Configurator)

I don't really use Kext Wizard, if you want to keep these kexts up to date use Kext Updater

Hi - thanks so much for this advice. My plan now is to install and run Catalina from an external 2TB drive. I have successfully installed from the USB to the External and apart from the sound and network it all works. Do you still think I can install clover to the external and include that as a boot option? Last time I tried and it wouldn't see the external as having any boot option at all ( in bios ). Had to reinstall everything again.. but if you think it should work I will try again. It's so nearly there.. I can't use kext updater as I have no network connections..

Last edited:
Hi - thanks so much for this advice. My plan now is to install and run Catalina from an external 2TB drive. I have successfully installed from the USB to the External and apart from the sound and network it all works. Do you still think I can install clover to the external and include that as a boot option? Last time I tried and it wouldn't see the external as having any boot option at all ( in bios ). Had to reinstall everything again.. but if you think it should work I will try again. It's so nearly there.. I can't use kext updater as I have no network connections..

Hey there,

I think that is possible. If you go to your BIOS, go to boot options and click "add boot option". From there it should have a very basic file manager. Try to navigate to your external drive and select the CLOVERX64.efi file. It should now be a boot option for you to select.

Hi - getting there slowly - could you share your config.plist? Thanks ! It's booting to the external drive - I copied your kexts - it loads all the verbose - but just a glimpse of the loading screen - literally a split second and it hangs/goes black..? Any ideas..

Last edited:
Blocked the NV drivers from loading and it’s fine. Did you get ehthernet working?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to update 10.15.4 but stuck (please see attached screenshot). Any ideas.
In Clover boot menu I have
Boot macOS Install from Macintosh - Data (This gets stuck)
Boot macOS from Macintosh (This goes sht to login screen)
Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina (USB Stick, which also is stuck at same point)

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I fixed it by upgrading to latest version of clover.

Attachments

• DSC_6245.JPG
    DSC_6245.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back