Contribute
Register

xps 15 9550 10.12.2 - instant wake after sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you test without external devices plugged in.
Make sure you test with Apple->Sleep.
Do a fresh install for testing.

no external devices. always test with apple->sleep. have not done a fresh install of OS for testing. boy I have to reinstall to get sleep to work? I think securityd is doing something here...

no external devices. always test with apple->sleep. have not done a fresh install of OS for testing. boy I have to reinstall to get sleep to work? I think securityd is doing something here...

Once the laptop entered sleep, no processes are running (CPU is halted). So..., 'securityd' (a background software daemon) cannot "do" anything when the computer is sleeping. Wake can be caused only by external events.

Note that "failure to sleep" is a completely separate problem from "instant wake after sleep". Make sure you understand which problem you have.

Simple/quick to do a fresh install to a second partition to make sure it is not some setting you changed, or software you installed.

Once the laptop entered sleep, no processes are running (CPU is halted). So..., 'securityd' (a background software daemon) cannot "do" anything when the computer is sleeping. Wake can be caused only by external events.

Note that "failure to sleep" is a completely separate problem from "instant wake after sleep". Make sure you understand which problem you have.

Simple/quick to do a fresh install to a second partition to make sure it is not some setting you changed, or software you installed.

if you look at my console log, it says

identityservicesd - system going to sleep
blued - system sleeping
sharingd - device will sleep
sharingd - stopping for user 501 on sleep
CommCenter - entering low power mode
security - powerstats, disk, net
and then
securityd - enter DarkWake

So, I think it's going into sleep, but for some reason entering DarkWake. I will try a vanilla OS to see if it can sleep...

I booted to 10.11.6 using the same clover config and kext except HackNVMeFamily. So, using the same Clover config, clover kext, and patched ACPI, my laptop goes to sleep in 10.11.6, but not in 10.12.2. I have similar software (eclipse, ... etc) installed on both OS. There is something 10.12.2 is doing differently when going to sleep...

Also tried darkwake=0 but did not work....

Last edited:
if you look at my console log, it says

identityservicesd - system going to sleep
blued - system sleeping
sharingd - device will sleep
sharingd - stopping for user 501 on sleep
CommCenter - entering low power mode
security - powerstats, disk, net
and then
securityd - enter DarkWake

So, I think it's going into sleep, but for some reason entering DarkWake. I will try a vanilla OS to see if it can sleep...

darkwake is not sleep (I believe it is ACPI S2, sleep is ACPI S3).

I booted to 10.11.6 using the same clover config and kext except HackNVMeFamily. So, using the same Clover config, clover kext, and patched ACPI, my laptop goes to sleep in 10.11.6, but not in 10.12.2. I have similar software (eclipse, ... etc) installed on both OS. There is something 10.12.2 is doing differently when going to sleep...

Also tried darkwake=0 but did not work....

Did you try a fresh install yet?

darkwake is not sleep (I believe it is ACPI S2, sleep is ACPI S3).

Did you try a fresh install yet?
Yap. Fresh/vanilla 10.12.2, and it did NOT work. There is something peculiar about 10.12.x when it comes to sleeping.

Any suggestion on next step? Again, the same ACPI patches and Clover config combination works fine in 10.11.6...

Yap. Fresh/vanilla 10.12.2, and it did NOT work. There is something peculiar about 10.12.x when it comes to sleeping.

Any suggestion on next step? Again, the same ACPI patches and Clover config combination works fine in 10.11.6...

Your ACPI patching scenario is complex. Suggest you simplify by doing static patching as it is easier to understand what you're doing. When you get it working with static patching, then switch to hotpatch (1 patch at a time).

Anyone got their xps 15 9550 and sleep to work on 10.12.x??

found the answer after several reboot changing the bios setting.

there is a bios setting called "USB Wake Support". when the ac power is plugged in, my laptop would not sleep unless this flag is disabled. when the ac power is plugged off, it sleeps. there is gottabe something in either in usb kext, acpi patch, and/or 10.12.2 combination, is causing this particular issue.

found the answer after several reboot changing the bios setting.

there is a bios setting called "USB Wake Support". when the ac power is plugged in, my laptop would not sleep unless this flag is disabled. when the ac power is plugged off, it sleeps. there is gottabe something in either in usb kext, acpi patch, and/or 10.12.2 combination, is causing this particular issue.

Suggested in post #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back