Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 11 3153
CPU
i3-6100u
Graphics
HD 520
Have 3 different USB sticks with Clover and Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra on them that worked great with my old Inspiron N4110. This XPS tells me No Operating System found when trying to boot from USB to Clover to get to the installer. In BIOS I dont see any options for UEFI boot although i understand UEFI should be possible. Short of redoing clover via a VM install, is there any way to boot the installer on this laptop?

Have 3 different USB sticks with Clover and Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra on them that worked great with my old Inspiron N4110. This XPS tells me No Operating System found when trying to boot from USB to Clover to get to the installer. In BIOS I dont see any options for UEFI boot although i understand UEFI should be possible. Short of redoing clover via a VM install, is there any way to boot the installer on this laptop?
Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

also as per rules, please update your hardware profile

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

also as per rules, please update your hardware profile
Right, these are fully working install sticks. Ive used them to successfully install before. They are set up for EFI boot only, with Option 1 with 2 partitions. In Windows I can see and browse the first partition (clover). So the question is, unless I can figure out how to EFI boot with this laptop, Id need to redo this stick to legacy boot in a working OSX instance, right?

Also, I have updated my hardware profile, and added it to signature as well.

Right, these are fully working install sticks. Ive used them to successfully install before. They are set up for EFI boot only, with Option 1 with 2 partitions. In Windows I can see and browse the first partition (clover). So the question is, unless I can figure out how to EFI boot with this laptop, Id need to redo this stick to legacy boot in a working OSX instance, right?

Also, I have updated my hardware profile, and added it to signature as well.
you should have uefi:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20011588

make sure your bios settings are correct:

I saw that Dell thread, that isnt for a L321X though. I dont see anything for UEFI in the BIOS, however the BIOS is pretty limited. I posted on Bios-Mods to see if there is any way to unlock this option in the BIOS. Seems strange a USB only laptop would lack UEFI support. Windows is currently installed as legacy though.

Crossing my fingers it can be unlocked. I dont want to go thru the trouble of trying to set up a whole other instance of OSX just to reformat as legacy.

Baffles me, as my old N4110 was from the same era and had UEFI. XPS is supposed to be higher end, you'd think between the two XPS would have it.

I saw that Dell thread, that isnt for a L321X though. I dont see anything for UEFI in the BIOS, however the BIOS is pretty limited. I posted on Bios-Mods to see if there is any way to unlock this option in the BIOS. Seems strange a USB only laptop would lack UEFI support. Windows is currently installed as legacy though.

Crossing my fingers it can be unlocked. I dont want to go thru the trouble of trying to set up a whole other instance of OSX just to reformat as legacy.

Baffles me, as my old N4110 was from the same era and had UEFI. XPS is supposed to be higher end, you'd think between the two XPS would have it.
if you have no efi and only legacy, then you will have to re create your usb installer using legacy

While im still searching on EFI, is there anyway to reinstall Clover to the MBR partition (leave the Mac OS installer partition alone) in Windows as legacy or can Clover only be installed via Mac OS?

While im still searching on EFI, is there anyway to reinstall Clover to the MBR partition (leave the Mac OS installer partition alone) in Windows as legacy or can Clover only be installed via Mac OS?
clover can only really be installed using a mac or hackintosh

Redid my stick to boot as legacy. Getting still waiting for root device. This laptop only has two USB ports. 1 usb 2 and 1 usb 3. In the usb 2 port clover boots and I get the message. Usb 3 takes me to some odd boot menu I’ve never seen on this laptop. It’s a dell boot menu but not the normal bios.

Any ideas on next Step?

IMG_1894.JPG

Got this installed. When I got the Still waiting for root device error I moved the usb stick to my other USB port and it continued on to the installer.

Trying to get WiFi working now. Have a 94352. Did the kext enabler method. Installed restarted. No wifi icon. Is there more to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back