1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey folks,

Ive just finished a new build using a Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390, i7-9700K, and 16GB of 2666MHz Corsair DDR4 RAM.

I nabbed the EFI from MESwan's Aorus Z390 build which has sorted a lot of the problems i had (many thanks to him!) but one still persists which is the XMP Profile.

If i set the Profile to 1 which is the standard 2666MHz profile then the system will show up a boot error on startup, if i go into the bios i can boot the drive using Boot Override and all is well, but as long as XMP is on this is the only way i can get into the drive. If i turn the profile off it gets to the Clover drive selection screen with no issues. Ive used Clover Configurator to select all the XMPdetection options on the config.plist and none of them have made a difference.

Majority of Mobo settings are default,
VT-d Disabled.
Wake On Lan Disabled.
iGPU Disabled
XHCI Enabled
ErP Enabled
No form of CPU overclocking going on

Does anyone have any ideas why it might not like XMP and how i can fix this? I've included the EFI for this build in the post for people to look at if they want.

Cheers all!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    36.5 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Hey folks,

Ive just finished a new build using a Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390, i7-9700K, and 16GB of 2666MHz Corsair DDR4 RAM.

I nabbed the EFI from MESwan's Aorus Z390 build which has sorted a lot of the problems i had (many thanks to him!) but one still persists which is the XMP Profile.

If i set the Profile to 1 which is the standard 2666MHz profile then the system will show up a boot error on startup, if i go into the bios i can boot the drive using Boot Override and all is well, but as long as XMP is on this is the only way i can get into the drive. If i turn the profile off it gets to the Clover drive selection screen with no issues. Ive used Clover Configurator to select all the XMPdetection options on the config.plist and none of them have made a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas why it might not like XMP and how i can fix this? I've included the EFI for this build in the post for people to look at if they want.

Cheers all!

The XMP profile may or may not be causing the problem because Apple has finally pushed memory speed up to 2666GHz in its latest machines, previously 2400GHz was the highest. Using an XMP profile seems to cause more problems with older system-definitions.

Anyway, to get to a better place to work from you need to correct and clean-up your EFI.

In the kexts/10.14 folder you have old version lilu and whatevergreen kexts. In the kexts/Other folder there are later versions. Remove from 10.14 and trash.

In the drivers64UEFI folder you are using the memory-fix driver: OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. This is no-longer recommended, even by the person who coded it, as it can potentially damage hardware. Perhaps a good idea to update Clover to one of the 5*** builds. These use a different folder structure and I'd recommend AptopMemoryFix.efi as a substitute. There are further developments in this area, but let's take one step at a time. remember to keep your UniBeast installer drive handy in case things go wrong, so you can still boot your machine.

There are so many non-relevant entries in your config.plist too, clearly from another machine. Yours is a Z390 and doesn't have any EHCI controllers to rename, as one example. You have port-limit removal patches in place for High Sierra is another.

These are the type of problems that occur if you just use someone else's EFI folder. It's much better to learn from someone else's work but then write your own. No two machines are identical, no matter how close they look.

Sort that lot out and then try to mend XMP, if it still needs mending :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice UtterDisbelief, i thought id gotten to grips with Clover builds since this isn't my first Hack but clearly ive still got plenty to learn so more than happy to take on any advice you can give!

I've binned the old Lilu & WEG from 10.14 and updated Clover through Configurator.
I've binned OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and installed AptioMemoryFix.efi. I noticed that when i installed it it put it in a drivers>UEFI folder rather than the drivers64UEFI folder, i'm assuming thats fine?

Things have now changed but not for the better. Updated Clover and it's now on 5119 but seems to have ruined the startup theme (see attached pic), also now when i select the drive to boot i get this strange error that comes up that makes no sense (see other pic). If i press any key it sits on a black screen, the only way ive been able to get back into the drive is by booting from the install usb. Do you think it would be easier to start again with a fresh plist?

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_202905.jpg
    IMG_20200712_202905.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200712_202939.jpg
    IMG_20200712_202939.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 69
UPDATE:
Some progress has been made, i spent last night doing a clean up of the EFI where i could and playing around with Aptio fixes.

Using AptioMemoryFix and removing EmuVariableUEFI has resulted in a booting system. I dont get a Clover boot screen at all but it does boot straight to my Desktop which is something.

I have a very slow shutdown working, it takes about 30 seconds and the CPU fan spins up a lot before it happens but it does do it eventually which is also something!

I've also changed the System Definition to iMac19,1.

So now we have:

Working
-Boots to desktop

Not working
-Clover boot/drive select screen
-Sleep
-Proper shutdown sequence
-XMP

Updated EFI attached

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.6 MB · Views: 83
... it's now on 5119 but seems to have ruined the startup theme
You are probably either missing "tonymacx86" folder in your "EFI/CLOVER/themes" folder, or on your "GUI" page in Configurator the "themes" field shows something other than "tonymacx86."

If updating Lilu and WhateverGreen does not fix your black screen problem, in Configurator go to its "Kernel and Kext Patches" page, and click on the up/down arrow box in "List of Patches." Scroll down to "Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64..." and click on it. That patch might fix your problem.

UPDATE!

Alright we've gotten somewhere! Im not sure exactly what ive done but after more cleaning up of the config and EFI i now have a system that boots to the Clover select screen, boots into Mac OS, and shuts down with no issues! Hurrah!

Only thing i need to sort now is XMP. It still causes a boot error when turned on meaning i need to go through the bios and use Boot Override to get onto my Mac drive, with it turned off there are no issues. If anyone has any ideas id be grateful!

Working EFI and bios pics attached

Attachments

• EFI good.zip
    26.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200714_120802.jpg
    IMG_20200714_120802.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20200714_120855.jpg
    IMG_20200714_120855.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 873
Status
Not open for further replies.